Daily Meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2002
      Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Leisure - what is it? It is that beautiful something that escapes us
      most of the time. Leisure, like most everything else, can be found if we
      truly want it. We seem to have the ability to do most of what we set our
      minds to do, and the less important things can be set aside for this
      particular thing.
      We get pretty stale when we never take time to relax. A few hours of
      getting away from even a beloved madhouse will make a new human being
      out of a bundle of nerves.
      Pursuit of leisure is to lose it. We can't suddenly say that the next
      five minutes will be for complete relaxation. It takes that long to
      begin to unwind. Gaiety and rhythm and frivolity are shunned by most
      minds. But if there are none of these, even in the smallest amounts,
      then leisure is more of a restless shuffling - like a night out with no
      place to go.
      We need to exercise our minds a little to achieve any goal, and leisure
      is definitely a goal!
      August 6 - Daily Feast
      When you are a child of the land you come to appreciate the moments of
      pleasure when the early morning sun gilds the tree trunks and throws
      shadows across the garden. And when evening comes with its cool shadows
      and nocturnal sounds you revel in your native ways. The woods at night
      ring with golden bells all blending in a joyous sound that is the locust
      chorus. And suddenly it all stops and for a brief moment there is total
      silence and then the high plaintive mewl of an owl. It is an evening
      concert and you are alone with it - except for those who lived on these
      wooded ridges and loved it too. The conductor is the hour that leads it
      all in a song of the heart.
      ~ There is no other place for us. ~
      BLACKTOOTH, 1900
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      products from the website: http://www.whitebison.org
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - August 6
      "We have to have one mind for the Four Directions. Until we reach that
      one mind, we cannot be filled with understanding.... The Creator will
      not answer until you have just one mind, just like if you have one
      person."
      --Grandfather William Commanda, ALGONQUIN
      The Elders have taught us to balance our lives emotionally, mentally,
      physically and spiritually. If I am out of control emotionally, I get
      angry, doubtful or erratic, I am out of balance. If I trigger bad mental
      pictures of my brothers and sisters, I am out of balance. If I get too
      hungry, angry, lonely, or tired, I am out of balance physically. If I
      don't pray and talk to the Creator daily, I am out of balance
      spiritually. To be centered, I must be in balance. The Creator talks to
      me in the quiet and still place. So if I get angry, what I should do
      first is to pause and get still so I can hear the guidance of the
      Grandfathers.
      Oh Great Spirit
      whose voice I
      hear in the