Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Aug 2, 2002
      Creator, help
      me to become
      ready and
      teachable.
      Now available 'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume III' by Joyce Sequichie
      Hifler.
      Visit her website http://www.hifler.com
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      If we could but read it, all human beings carry the marks of their
      character in
      the lines of their faces. The very expressions are etched there by
      habitual
      thought. The most beautiful features may be blank of expression, lacking
      depth
      of thought or understanding, while the plainest face may be lighted with
      radiance only sincerity and inner beauty can produce.
      Alexander Smith was a Scottish poet who wrote, "On your features the
      fine
      chisels of thought and emotion are eternally at work."
      No pretense can hide the thoughts and feelings. The narrowed eyes of
      suspicion
      and discontent tattle, while serenity and devotion to others can reveal
      such
      beauty of spirit that the shape of the face is forgotten.
      "In thy face I see the map of honor, truth, and loyalty," wrote
      Shakespeare,
      and it is safe to say that being able to see those things in another's
      face is
      an assurance that he also had such a face. To see only avarice and
      selfishness
      in every expression turned to us is to know that our own expressions
      lack
      something to be desired.
      Life does not have to be full of ease to reflect beauty. Some of the
      most
      beautiful faces in history have not had eyes to see nor voice to move
      their
      lips, but have possessed peace and serenity that only faith could
      render.
      August 1 - Daily Feast
      Knowledge is evidence of the past - but wisdom is using it to see the
      future.
      Knowing what to put in your bouquet of life takes wisdom. Drugs and
      alcohol and
      unrestrained behavior are the poison ivy among a field of life-giving
      herbs and
      beautiful flowers. These things are known to be toxic and death - but
      someone
      who had worldly knowledge knew they made a person have hallucinations.
      This
      need ot look into hell is like calling home for comfort - it's not going
      happen. Say it: "I am a person with the power to draw on unlimited
      wisdom - and
      I do it now by turning away from the dancing images of total foolishness
      and
      destruction."
      ~ If the child cries for mercy, that child must have mercy. ~
      HADNSOME LAKE - SENECA, 1800
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Inc., an
      American Indian-owned non-profit organization. Order their many products
      from
      the website: http://www.whitebison.org
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - August 2
      "When you get older and you are ready, your ancestors will show up to
      guide
      you."
      --Joe Coyhis, STOCKBRIDGE-MUNSEE
      Many of us, when we are young, spend a portion of our lives in learning.
      Unfortunately, some of us spend this time learning the hard way. When we
      are
      young we sometimes think we know everything. Sometimes we do foolish
      things. As
      we get a little older, we realize we don't know anything. This is when
      we
      become teachable. There is a saying that goes, when the student is
      ready, the
      teacher appears. We usually aren't teachable unless we are ready. The
      ancestors
      are waiting and willing to help. When we are ready, many beautiful
      teachers
      start to come into our lives. Then we really start to grow and mature.
      We are
      ready for the spiritual lesson.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.