Daily Meditation~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 5, 2002
      Permission graciously given by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      We pray for a change, we hope for a change, but we wait impatiently. Is
      God not hearing us? We asked. Where is the answer?
      If our prayers were suddenly answered would we be ready? Or would we
      look behind us for the familiar things, the people, the habits, the
      routine?
      If we were instantly healed, instantly prospered, instantly after and
      loved, then what would we do? Attention, compassion and self-pity are
      sometimes more important than having everything changed for the better.
      The fear of being without something to keep us working with the same
      burden, dealing with familiar pain, can stop us from knowing what it is
      to be free and well.
      If we can envision life without a particular problem we can turn our
      minds to real change and have it happen. If we can see change, receive
      it, and know the joy, then gratitide and thanksgiving sets it in place.
      Our privilege has been to celebrate freedom for a very long time. But
      many see it only as a holiday - a time to stock up on drinks and food
      and a chance to be wild. Does anyone remember what happened and who gave
      life for this celebration? We have a right to celebrate - but not
      without knowing why, not without recognizing what the original Americans
      gave us, what mothers and fathers and service people sacrificed. Every
      kind of sorrow paved the way for this day. Remember it and teach it and
      hold it forever before the world. We did not come to such wonderful
      freedom because we are so deserving. We celebrate because someone made
      it possible - and we should bless them.
      ~ I claim a right to live on my land, and accord you the privilege to
      live on yours. ~
      CHIEF JOSEPH - NEZ PERCE
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      White Bison, Inc., an American Indian owned non-profit corporation,
      produces and distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's
      Meditations", video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and
      posters. Order for yourself or a loved one here:
      http://www.whitebison.org
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - July 4
      "That is not our way, to set yourself apart and talk about who you are
      and what you've done. You let your life speak for you. With the Mohawk
      people, wisdom is how you live and how you interpret what your mother
      and father, what your grandmothers and grandfathers have told you about
      this world - and then how you interpret that into the fact of living
      every day."
      --Tom Porter, MOHAWK
      It is said, how you live your life makes so much noise that people can't
      hear what you are saying anyway. It is so easy to see people who do not
      walk the talk.

      Creator, I ask
      you today to
      help me be
      humble. Let me
      spend the day
      listening. Help
      me to not brag
      or gossip. Help
      me today not to
      do those things
      that seek
      attention or
      approval from
      others. I am
      only accountable
      to You, Oh
      Great Spirit.
      You will tell me
      the things I need
      to know. Let me
      learn the lessons
      from my Elders.
      Let me teach the
      children by
      example. Today,
      let me walk the
      talk.
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 13, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 11:02am To:
        [openfires] July 13 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        openfires@yahoogroups.com
        What is it that keeps us from doing the creative things we want to do?
        Fear of venturing and losing, fear of the unknown? And yet, every day of
        our lives we venture and seldom acknowledge the fact that we didn't
        lose. We too often accomplish something because circumstances forced a
        courage we could not muster from mere desire.
        Frequently we must simply have the audacity to lay aside the taboos we
        have built for ourselves, for fear of appearing foolish, and follow a
        creative curiosity.
        When Robert Louis Stevenson wrote, "Give me a young man with brains
        enough to make a fool of himself," he didn't mean intentionally acting
        foolishly. He meant that a fearlessness of appearing foolish can enable
        us to step outside the realms of what others would call the limits.
        The simplest ventures often bring joy to many, particularly to those who
        in the beginning dared to stand on their own chances of winning or
        losing.
        Summer heat has brought a lull to the meadows. Tiny titmice and bright
        yellow warblers stay close to watering places, and only the locust sings
        on in its raspy tones. It sings to remind us that it is summer and time
        to slow our pace. Hay meadows are dotted with bales, and wheat and beans
        are ready for harvest. Evening is alive with the songs of meadowlarks
        and killdeer, and the mockingbird is the comic that sings in all the
        other bird's voices. It would be impossible to live among the things of
        nature and not pace oneself to them. It is the nature of the Cherokee to
        go to a flowing stream with any problem he may have. And he comes away
        with the best harvest of all, a quiet eye and the peaceful harmony of
        summer.
        ~ I have a good heart, and I want no mistake made this time, to live
        with a good heart and talk truth. ~
        CAPTAIN JACK
        "Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and lean to
        hear my feeble voice. You lived first, and You are older than all need,
        older than all prayer...You are the life of all things."
        --Black Elk, OGLALA SIOUX
        Great Spirit - Sometimes I don't feel like praying. Sometimes when I
        have done something wrong, I'm ashamed to come to You. Even though You
        have always been there for me, I sometimes choose to stay away. It's
        hard for me to understand what all knowing is. Sometimes it's hard for
        me to see how much You really care. But I know if I take a few minutes
        and think about what I know to be true about You, the things change and
        I am able to realize Your power and Your love. Today, I'll start by
        thinking of You. I'll think about all the times You have helped and
        guided me in the past. You are life, You are love, You are power, You
        are desire, You are truth, Your are principle, You are intelligence, You
        are courage. With You I am everything; without You I am nothing.
        Creator,
        thank You
        for allowing me
        to start my day