Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jul 1, 2002
      Permission graciously given by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.

      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      There comes a time when we have to turn a firm and deaf ear to those
      people who have no other intention than to disturb our peace of mind.
      There comes a time when we have to turn ourselves about in our very
      tracks and ignore the bitter complaining voice of experience.
      There comes a time when we have to get angry with ourselves for allowing
      bad to become worse when there is Someone bigger than we are who can
      handle everything.
      There comes a time when we have to make a decision and to be so firm
      that it leaves no doubt in our minds that we know what we must do - and
      then do it.
      There comes a time when we have to hear music and feel peace, or we have
      no foundation for living.
      There comes a time when we must learn to appreciate and be thankful or
      lose all that matters to us.
      There comes a time when we recognize the many faces of God as true
      blessings and give thanks.
      SEVEN
      Gul Kwa'Gi
      CORN IN TASSEL
      Tsa Lu Wa'nee
      It may be very small in your ears......and we entreat you to harken with
      attention; for we are able to speak of things which are to us very
      great.
      CORNPLANTER - SENECA NATION, 1790
      July 1 - Daily Feast
      Because we can't see the possibilty of something doesn't mean it doesn't
      exist.  We just don't see it and what we do not see we cannot
      understand. Grandmother used to say that someone "got the light" on
      something that had been muddled to them. They suddenly understood. Few
      of us suddenly understand because we are fighting the idea, trying to
      avoid believing something - only to have it become obvious. And
      Grandmother, El li si, added, "and when you get the light, watch it, and
      if it dims - it's not the truth."
      ~ Our title to our lands is placed beyond dispute. Our relations with
      the Confederate States is that of a Ward; theirs to us that a
      Protectorate with powers restricted. ~
      JOHN ROSS - CHEROKEE CHIEF,  1861
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      White Bison, Inc., an American Indian owned non-profit corporation,
      produces and distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's
      Meditations", video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and
      posters. Order for yourself or a loved one here:
      http://www.whitebison.org
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - July 1
      "I'm an Indian, I'm one of God's children."
      --Mathew King, LAKOTA
      My Creator, today let me remember the reason I'm here on Mother Earth.
      Let me look into my own eyes and see the beauty You have created. Let me
      have good thoughts. Being Indian is not the color of my skin. Being
      Indian is to listen to my heart, to think only the  things You have
      taught, to watch nature and live in harmony. Being Indian is to walk in
      prayer, to talk to You constantly during the day. Being Indian is to act
      and to walk in a sacred way.

      Today, let me
      think in
      beauty, let me
      walk in beauty,
      let me pray in
      beauty.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.