Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Jun 10, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      To so many, getting up in the morning is the worst way to begin a day.
      To them every morning is the morning after, a time to feel nervous
      anxiety and regret in the deepest sense, while to others morning is a
      whole new world. Yesterday ceased to be with sleep last night.
      How much better off we'd be if only for a few hours we could put out of
      our minds every painful thought and every unpleasant person until the
      mind and body could find enough new life to begin again.
      "The early morning hath gold in its mouth," wrote Franklin. But it has
      things more precious than gold. It has life as fresh and sweet as the
      shimmering, clinging dewdrops in the first rays of golden sunlight. It
      has the grace of mimosa leaves rippling in the gentlest breeze. It has
      the songs of the birds and the love of a new awakening.
      And in this breathless creation is something more. A new opportunity,
      another chance, a challenge to walk on, more strong, more forgiving,
      more loving.
      Sleep deep and rest sweet, but rise glad. Don't let one joyful second be
      lost in dead oblivion. This is a vision of newness awaiting even the
      least to arise and accept the best - a new beginning.
      Morning need not be jury trial for oneself. Dawn and sleep can be a
      miraculous cleansing to set us out on our feet ready to begin again and
      in a friendlier atmosphere. We must feel friendly toward ourselves
      before we can possibly find morning good to anyone else.
      An unknown writer once wrote, "Every morning lean thine arms awhile upon
      the window sill of heaven, and gaze upon thy Lord, then, with the vision
      in thy heart, turn strong to meet thy day."
      We need to be strong to meet the day with self control, to find out
      reason and purpose, but, more important, to leave behind us the heavy
      and darkened thoughts that kept us from seeing the breathtaking beauty
      of the most important time - this morning.
      June 9 - Daily Feast
      Timing is said to be the essence of excellence. But such wisdom has to
      do with whose timing it is. If we wait around until we feel the time is
      perfect, we may be waiting a long time. Waiting can turn into lethargy
      and lethargy into sleep. What good is timing when a person is not awake.
      But when a beginning is made with honest effort - looking neither to the
      right or the left for approval or for signs that things are working, the
      grace will come. It will kick in at the precise moment it is needed to
      give substance and form to the faith.
      ~ Now is our time! Fight! ~
      LOOKING GLASS - NEZ PERCE
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.