Daily Meditation~~~`>

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
      With permission graciously permitted by Joyce Sequichie Hifler - and her
      good friend, David Hunt!
      Visit the website to purchase the wonderful books by Joyce as gifts for
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Autumn, described by John Keats as the season of mists and mellow
      fruitfulness, is the most restful of all seasons. We are sensitive to a
      change of seasons. And at this particular time we stop to consider what
      our harvest is, and then the age-old promise to ourselves that next year
      will be better, and more productive.
      But now the peace and serenity of the season is upon us, and the Artist
      has painted for our eyes to see the most beautiful of all seasons - the
      autumn.
      Scattered frost has touched everything just enough to give a mottled
      pattern of brown and green. Early morning mists, blue and gray, hang low
      in the hills; brilliant red sumac and maples gold and burgundy stand out
      like jewels among the yellow elms.
      There is a whole new world for those who wish to open their spiritual
      eyes. We need to insist that worries take the back seat while we sniff
      the sweet scent of wood smoke , and see the lavender-pink sunsets and
      autumn haze that settles like soft blue fingers through the valleys.
      This is a picture for the soul by the Master Artist.
      June 5 - Daily Feast
      Following a certain line of thought brings us to question theories and
      opinions that flow to us through open windows. What are we supposed to
      think or believe or follow? We can get into trouble following someone
      who seems reliable and important and interested in us. A common bond may
      be the ansswer - but what do we have in common with someone so far
      removed from our own way of thinking? It is our personal responsibility
      to know where we are going - is it a path of peace or is it a place
      where nothing can grow?
      ~ Teach us the road to travel and we will not depart from it forever. ~
      SATANK - KIOWA CHIEF, 1871
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Still waiting to hear from the White Bison organization about sharing
      their daily postings before continuing as before.
      http://www.whitebison.org
      Thank you for your continued patience!
      ----------------------->
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002
        THINK on THESE THINGS"
        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Haven't you heard someone say, after experiencing something either good
        or bad, "I knew it was going to be that way." And perhaps the conviction
        was very strong that certain conditions would take a definite turn. But
        much of the time we say it not our of conviction, but resignedly,
        agreeing beforehand that something will be a certain way, and usually
        with dire overtones.
        It used to be belived that we had no power to control anything coming to
        us. We were mere victims of circumstances, almost like stones waiting to
        be kicked aside. But we were taught, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so
        he is."
        We must not be so presumptuous as to believe we know everything there is
        to know about the workings of the mind. But we attract a great many of
        our problems simply by dwelling on them in our thoughts.
        Premonitions, or "knowing" things are going to be a certain way, is
        merely giving us a little time to head off trouble. Such things should
        be a challenge, not an accepted rule. "Know" better until you believe it
        into conviction and into being.
        June 12 - Daily Feast
        If a lack of humility has built a wall from which to scoff, remember
        that all walls come tumbling down. No safe place exists for those whose
        ease and comfortable standing place makes it seem safe to crow and
        scoff. As the old saying goes, "Every dog has his day." And, we can't
        afford even one to backfire when we need things to work right. What we
        think is beneath us may be riding our shoulders in a very short time.
        Even the unloving person should see the signs and remember what seeds he
        has planted.
        ~ Complaint is just toward friends who have failed in their duty;
        accusation is against enemies guilty of injustice. ~
        TECUMSEH - SHAWNEE
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Tentative permission granted from the White Bison organization:
        http://www.whitebison.org
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 12
        "The faces of our future generations are looking up to us from the earth
        and we step with great care not to disturb our grandchildren."
        --Traditional Circle of Elders
        The leaves, when they are finished with their life on the trees, will
        return to the Earth. The leaves that return to the Earth are the future
        trees. So inside the Mother Earth are the future forests. The human,
        when finished with its life on the Earth, will return to the Earth. So
        in the Earth are our future grandchildren. Knowing this, we should be
        respectful of the place where our future generations live. Only take
        from the Earth what you need. Every time you pick a plant or Medicine,
        leave an offering and leave a prayer. Be respectful and walk in a sacred
        way.
        Great Spirit,
        teach me to
        respect the
        place of future
        generations.
        ----------------------->
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2002
          Everyone must have a way of life. The home, the position, the social
          level, the health of the body and of the emotions are all a part of
          daily living. But beyond that there must be a reason, a way of life. We
          must believe in something, live by something, and have a shelter within
          ourselves where there are no pretenses.
          Life cannot be one carefree round of living on the surface. It is a
          thing of depth and width and height, and full of avenues never
          investigated. Like the body, it is made up of many parts. Beneath the
          skin there must beat a heart, a network of nerves, the strength of
          muscles, and much we cannot begin to explain.
          As the body depends upon the heart we must have in oue lives something
          to depend upon, something with which to identify ourselves. There must
          be a central point, a hitching post to keep all of life running
          smoothly.
          We need something to help us retreat as well as to go forward. We must
          have something to live by, as well as something for which we would
          willing die. We need divine wisdom to see, and the strength to break
          away, those almost invisible fingers of possessivness that grip our
          lives.
          We do not simply live, we live because. We live because of others,
          because of beautiful things and times and places. We live because God
          gave us life, to be happy in, and to find a special way.
          October 13 - Daily Feast
          Luther, a Tsa la gi, explained his creative God by saying, "God take
          Himself and make the fish, God take Himself and make the tsi s du
          [rabbit]; He take Himself and make the wa ya [wolf]; He take Himself and
          make the squirrel, and He take Himself and make me. These thigns my
          brothers." But, Luther, what do you do when you want to go squirrel
          hunting? Merriment danced in his black eyes and he added, "I just say,
          Squirrel-Brother, God made you for me!"
          ~ I traveled thousands of miles along our winding trails, through
          unbroken solitudes of the wild forest, listening to the songs of the
          woodland birds. ~
          POKOGON - POTAWTOMI CHIEF,  1833
          'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - October 13
          "So unbelievable things like that happen. But you have to believe it
          first. Not wait until you see it first, then touch it, then believe
          it... You have to say it from the heart."
          --Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
          The power of our belief system is incredible. The power of faith is a
          very natural power. How do we have faith? Inside of our minds we form a
          mental picture with our self talk. Self talk is recorded in our minds in
          three dimensions - words that trigger a picture, which has a feeling or
          an emotion attached to it. Once we get the words and the picture, it is
          the emotion that makes the idea turn into a belief. You get the right
          emotion by saying things from the heart. The heart is the source of
          emotions which can cause unbelievable things to happen.
          Great Spirit,
          with You
          everything is
          possible.