Daily Meditation~~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1 7:34 AM
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      When winter presses a cold, gray hand against every living thing and
      temporarily puts to sleep all outward growth and activity of other
      seasons, there is within a quiet, invisible, but very active preparation
      for a lighter, warmer time.
      There are times when the winters of life press hard upon us, seeming to
      keep from us any hope for good. But as the coldest winter does not
      prevent a tulip from developing a blaze of color within the bulb, there
      is nothing to prevent our own inner growth.
      We quite naturally want the things that will make us happy and we want
      them now. But there is still a time of preparation, the developement of
      our abilities to recognize the good and the beautiful when we see it.
      Otherwise, we are apt to look past them, still searching.
      The tulip has a plan drawn by God's hand, and more beautiful than
      anything we can make. We have a way of moving from one time to another,
      waiting for life to come to us instead of having a plan. But during
      those waiting periods we need to make a little effort to determine the
      course and to be ready when the right time comes.
      SIX
      Su tali
      GREEN CORN MONTH
      Da tsa lu'nee
      I was born upon the prairie, where the wind blew free, and there wa
      nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where everything drew
      a free breath. I want to die there, and not within walls.
      TEN BEARS - COMANCHE
      June 1 - Daily Feast
      Long ago in Hopi country a young Indian boy went away to school and
      learned easily the way of the white man. But all tribes have a way of
      wanting to go back to beginnings when they are mature. Such was the case
      with the Sun Chief and he related how his frame of mind shifted. "I had
      learned many English words and could recite part of the Ten
      Commandments. I knew how to sleep in a bed, pray to Jesus, comb my hair,
      eat with a knife and fork, and use a toilet....and I also learned that a
      white person thinks with his head instead of his heart."
      ~ He never claimed that the power of articulate speech was proof of
      superiority over the dumb creation. ~
      OHIYESA - DAKOTA
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 1
      "You have to have a lot of patience to hear those old people talk,
      because when they talk, they talk about motivation, the feeling, the
      unsound that is around the universe. They explain everything to one
      understanding. They bring it all together, and when they finish, just
      one word comes out. Just one word. They might talk all day, and just one
      word comes out."
      --Wallace Black Elk, LAKOTA
      We need to be careful about judging the old ones when we talk. At first
      they may not make sense to us. Maybe we'll say they're old fashioned and
      don't understand. But the old ones do understand! When they speak,
      listen very carefully. Often it will take weeks or maybe even years
      before we understand what they are really saying. This is the way of
      Wisdom. We need to listen, listen, listen.

      Great Spirit,
      today, open
      my ears so I
      can hear the
      Elders.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 23 7:43 AM
        Permission graciously given by Joyce Sequichie Hifler. Visit her website
        to purchase the wonderful books by Joyce as gifts for yourself or for
        loved ones......and also for those who don't have access to the
        internet: http://www.hifler.com
        "THINK on THESE THINGS"
        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Sensibility is said to be neither good nor evil in itself, but in its
        application. Sometimes we just "out-sensible" ourselves. In the course
        of years we come to see the pattern of the truly sensible. What have we
        at this moment that really means anything? Does it give us happiness?
        Did it once seem most impractical? Was it worth fighting for?
        The intellectual strives for knowledge and in his absorption leaves the
        world but hardly leaves a vacancy. The materialistic must have
        everything at the price of peace, and their possessions decay but never
        their chaotic souls. And the insecure forfeit the most minute comforts
        to save for that rainy day. Happiness would have been greater and far
        more lasting if the fund had been smaller and used as an opportunity
        fund.
        The fine line of sensibility can be most elusive, but it seems to be
        more clearly seen when we relax and quit shoving to get there. If the
        place we desire is meant for us, it will come when we learn the way
        isn't always sharp and direct and by demand.
        June 23 - Daily Feast
        Our vitality does not go first - our interest goes. Dreams, one by one,
        that we let skip through our fingers, cannot be sustained and they
        drift. When that happens, what else is there? Like rare pieces of old
        delicate lace, we fold away our dreams in tissue and forget them.
        Without realizing it, we have put away our vitality as well. Vitality -
        life, strength, creativity. Priceless interest must be restored if we
        are to be strong and healthy and able to contribute to our own benefit
        as well as others.
        ~ All living creatures and all plants are a benefit to something. ~
        OKUTE - TETON SIOUX, 1911
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        White Bison, Inc., an American Indian owned non-profit corporation,
        produces and distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's
        Meditations", video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and
        posters. Order for yourself or a loved one here:
        http://www.whitebison.org
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 23
        "He [Wakan Tanka] walks with us along the pathways of Life, and He can
        do for us what we could never do on our own."
        --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
        With the Creator in our lives, we are everything. Without the Creator,
        we are nothing. When the Creator is in our life, suddenly the impossible
        becomes possible. The extraordinary becomes ordinary. Things we thought
        could never happen start to happen. Talents we never know we had, start
        to blossom. Resources appear. Help arrives to give us guidance and
        direction. We become happy. We have peace of mind and confidence.
        Oh Great
        Spirit, today I
        want You in
        my life. The
        days that I
        know You are
        with me are the
        days that are
        perfect. Let me
        be joyful today.
        ----------------------->
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 9, 2002
          "THINK on THESE THINGS"
          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          A new galaxy of shining promises made to oneself are resolutions made
          with the utmost faith that self is listening and will carry out the
          plans.
          But self is as unpredictable as a child playing in the street; it may
          dart in any direction, according to the mood and to whatever catches its
          attention. At the first sign of a challenge, self may race back and lean
          hard upon the old ways of doing things, no matter how wrong it may be.
          Resolutions do very little to change a way of living. They are easily
          made and easily forgotten. There may be a sincere desire to keep a
          resolution, but of self has not changed inwardly, little can depend on
          the outward change.
          It is said that we promise according to our hopes and perform according
          to our selfishness. Failure to keep our promises to others is a
          disappointment, but failure within oneself is disaster.
          A little performance is worth a host of promises on any day that starts
          a new year.
          Dream dreams and see visions. Not the black ones - but images of plenty,
          pictures of being totally well, fully secure. Dream that the horse
          chestnut tree is in full bloom, that the stone basin is overflowing with
          pure water, that the flood at its high point is carrying off the debris
          of life. If a dream is frightening and wrong, go over it bit by bit and
          change it. Get rid of the damaging catalysts and reach higher. Build
          good dreams. Lift out the cobwebs - don't smash them. Life is putty in
          your hand - shape it.
          ~ I am an Indian and looked upon by the whites as a foolish man - but it
          must be because I followed their advice. ~
          SHUNKA WITKO - SIOUX
          "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Permisson to repost the daily messages granted by White Bison, Inc., an
          American Indian owned non-profit corporation that produces and
          distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's Meditations",
          video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and posters. Order
          for yourself or a loved one here:
          http://www.whitebison.org
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - July 9
          "We have to educate ourselves to know who we are. That's what I mean
          when I say, 'Teach the children.'"
          --Eddie Benton-Banai, OJIBWAY
          It is only by knowing ourselves that we can get in touch with our power.
          It is said, "Tell me what you know about yourself and I'll tell you what
          you know about God. Tell me what you know about God and I'll tell you
          what you know about yourself." As we increase  knowledge of ourselves,
          as we choose to grow spiritually, as we clean up our act, then we can
          teach the children.

          My Creator,
          You have said
          "Know
          thyself." Today
          let me see the
          wisdom of this
          Truth. Give me
          Your insight of
          myself.
          I am always
          walking the
          talk and most
          people can see
          it. Today, help
          and guide me
          on the Red
          Road.
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 18, 2002
            Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
            "THINK on THESE THINGS"
            by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Have you ever stood on the sidelines and watched the drama of your own
            difficulties being acted out in someone else's life? Does it provoke a
            feeling of gratitude that here I will witness something that will help
            me solve my own problems? Or does it invite a feeling of smugness that
            they were not so capable of hiding theirs as I have been of concealing
            mine.
            Hiding one's difficulties can be compared to concealing an elephant. The
            only possible way to keep it a secret would be to keep it from those who
            could care less in the first place. If they were face to face with your
            elephant they would register little surprise and proceed immediately to
            forget it.
            In fact, there is considerable danger in looking down on those who are
            trying to get their lives on the right track. At least they have the
            intestinal fortitude to try. And to pretend that one has nothing to
            overcome is merely polishing the front glass while the back door falls
            away.
            Smugness or compassion? It was Cowper who reminded us, "Man may dismiss
            compassion from his heart, but God never will."
            A certain careful handling of business takes over when something makes
            us feel limited. Whether it is time or money or people, we know they
            must be utilized in the right spirit. As the Indian says, "Everything is
            in a circle." Whatever we set in motion comes back, and often shocks us
            by how quick and with what impact. Such things teach us to stop and
            think - to consider the use of a word or an act - and even a dollar.
            When we have material needs, a single dollar given where the need is
            great can multiply and come back to us a hundredfold. Even treating
            someone kindly is an investment, and though it may seem insignificant,
            when we are weary and sore, we learn how important it is.
            ~ You have noticed that everything an Indian does is in a circle. ~
            BLACK ELK - OGLALA SIOUX
            "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Permisson to repost the daily messages granted by White Bison, Inc., an
            American Indian owned non-profit corporation that produces and
            distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's Meditations",
            video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and posters. Order
            for yourself or a loved one here:
            http://www.whitebison.org
            Elder's Meditation of the Day - July 18
            "Our fathers gave us many laws which they had learned from their
            fathers. These laws were good."
            --Chief Joseph, NEZ PERCE
            The Creator gives us many laws to live by. These are different than the
            laws of man. The laws of the Creator are designed for us to live in
            harmony and balance with ourselves and each other. These laws are about
            having freedom and happiness. Our Elders teach us these laws. Laws about
            how to treat each other, laws about how to treat and respect our Mother
            Earth, laws about the environment.
            Oh Great
            Spirit, teach me
            the laws of the
            unseen world.
            Today I pray
            You open my
            eyes so I can
            better see the
            Red Road.
            ------------------------>
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 19, 2002
              If we could but read it, all human beings carry the marks of their
              character in the lines of their faces. The very expressions are etched
              there by habitual thought. The most beautiful features my be blank by
              expression, lacking depth of thought or understanding, while the
              plainest face may be lighted with a radiance only sincerity and inner
              beauty can produce.
              Alexander Smith was a Scottish poet who wrote, ?On your features the
              fine chisels of thought and emotion are eternally at work.?
              No pretense can hide the thoughts and feelings. The narrowed eyes of
              suspicion and discontent tattle, while serenity and devotion to others
              can reveal such beauty of spirit that the shape of the face is
              forgotten.
              ?In thy face I see the map of honor, truth, and loyalty,? wrote
              Shakespeare, and it is safe to say that being able to see those things
              in another?s face is an assurance that he also had such a face. To see
              only avarice and selfishness in every expression turned to us is to know
              that our own expressions lack something to be desired.
              Life does not have to be full of ease to reflect beauty. Some of the
              most beautiful faces in history have not had eyes to see nor voices to
              move their lips, but have possessed peace and serenity that only faith
              could render.
              December 19 - Daily Feast
              The road winds along the edge of the woodland and down over a steep hill
              until it reaches a gradual decline to the riverbottom. The land is rich
              with wildlife ? turkeys, rockchucks, squirrels ? and in the nighttime
              this is a meeting place for singing coyotes. Herds of whitetail feed on
              rich bottom grass, and mountain lions stalk their prey. A little country
              school was once nestled in the glen and its storm cellar and spring
              still jut from the overgrown soil. Nearby a wagon road dug deep by many
              wheels goes on down to cross the river to join community with community.
              Who were these people, what were their dreams, and how did they overcome
              all the obstacles? They knew nothing of television or nuclear plants or
              miracle medicines. Some of them handled life with faith ? and so can we.
              ~ We thank thee that thy wisdom has always provided. ~
              SOSE-HA-WA  -  SENECA,  1851
              'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 19
              "Flexible strength is better than inflexible. Let the storm flow over
              you, and then pop back up."
              --Michael Kabotie, HOPI
              Flexibility is taught by nature. You will see the trees bend in the
              wind. You will see that tree branches are flexible. To be rigid is to
              break. When we have life problems it is good for us to be flexible.
              Sometimes we need to flow with what is going on. If we resist, it
              becomes more painful. We need to be on the path of least resistance.
              Water flows down the mountain through the path of least resistance.
              Electricity flows through the path of least resistance. Power flows
              through the path of least resistance. As Indian people our strength has
              always been our flexibility.
              Creator, I will
              be flexible
              today because
              I know You
              are with me.
              Message 6 of 22 , May 11, 2003
                From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, May 11, 2003, 10:48am To:
                [openfires] May 11 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                openfires@yahoogroups.com
                ¡Feliz Dia de las Madres!
                Happy Mother's Day!
                Most successful ventures have behind them some hardships. We as human
                beings, demand such experiences before we can truly appreciate the
                meaning of victory. No one promised that life would be son long gala
                event, but if we're made of durable stuff, we neither let it hinder us
                nor make us run roughshod to get ahead.
                We must always recognize past hardships for what they are. We cannot
                ignore them, fo they are a part of our makeup. But neither can we let
                them become crutches to lean upon when there's a need for an excuse.
                Bitterness over past experiences wastes valuable time. Perhaps it was
                those hardships that gave us the strength to rise above the mediocre
                things. However crude, ugly or unhappy, even when combined with all our
                other knowledge they form the perfect circle and play no more important
                part than all the rest.
                In the words of American poet John Neal, "No man ever worked his passage
                anywhere in a dead calm."
                May 11 - Daily Feast
                Honeybees that relied on early flowers in the garden can now feast all
                across the meadows. red clover, honey locust trees, and rose-colored
                Indian paintbrush abound in clusters to feed the bees and give peace to
                the eye. An evening chorus of field sparrows trills in the wheat field
                and a nesting killdeer demands privacy by doing her broken-wing act to
                sidetrack walkers. The whole meadow teems with activity until dusk - and
                then a silence pervades, only to be broken by the throaty voice of the
                tree toad. It is common knowledge among the Cherokee that every animal,
                except man, knows the main business of life is to enjoy it, and he, the
                Cherokee, sides with nature.
                ~ Seed time is here but your grounds have not been prepared for
                planting. Go back and plant the summer's crop. ~
                KEOKUK,  1832
                Elder's Meditation of the Day May 11
                "[The Old People] would gather words as they walked a sacred path across
                the Earth, leaving nothing behind but prayers and offerings."
                ---- Cleone Thunder, NORTHERN ARAPAHOE
                Whenever we walk on the Earth, we should pay attention to what is going
                on. Too often our minds are somewhere else, thinking about the past or
                thinking about the future. When we do this, we are missing important
                lessons. The Earth is a constant flow of lessons and learning,  which
                also include a constant flow of positive feelings. If we are aware as we
                walk, we will gather words for our lives, the lessons to help our
                children; we will gather feelings of interconnectedness and calmness.
                When we experience this, we should say or think thoughts of gratitude.
                When we do this, the next person to walk on the sacred path will benefit
                even more.
                My Creator,
                today,
                let me