Daily Meditation~~>

    Message 1 of 10 , May 20, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      If you could remake your personal world, how would you want it? Very few
      can answer that question immediately. Many cannot answer after a great
      deal of consideration. Maybe we are drifters to a degree. There seems to
      be a ceratin amount of apprehension and fear about saying, or even
      thinking of what we want out of life. It may be that we feel some of it
      isn't right to want, or that maybe we are asking more than should be our
      share.
      Money is probably the first thing that most people think about, because
      of what they could do for themselves and for others. But what of health
      and peace and love? Without these all the fame and money in the world
      would be entirely meaningless. Without a spiritual foundation to one's
      life, all our desires are built on sand. Without knowing where we're
      going, we are drifters.
      To know what we want with good is the first and most important step. As
      Carlyle wrote, "The man without a purpose is like a ship without a
      rudder - a waif, a nothing. Have a purpose in life, and, having it,
      throw such strength of mind and muscle into your work as God has given
      you."
      Tennyson wrote these beautiful words: "More things are wrought by prayer
      than this world dreams of. What are men better than sheep or goats, that
      nourish a blind life within the brain, if, knowing God, they lift no
      hands of prayer both for themselves and those who call them friend!"
      What on this earth could we possibly have of good that has not come from
      the Almighty? What inroads are made into disease and sickness, what
      light has focused more understandingly on mental illness and weaknesses,
      without having been revealed through something greater than we are?
      And indeed, to what can we contribute the smallest or the greatest
      amounts of success, the love we share, the true joys, the peace, and our
      very breath. How presumptuous of us to believe we own one thing of
      lasting value that does not come from God.
      May 20 - Daily Feast
      Most people want control. If they can control something, it seems to
      make things worthwhile. Important people have control, and though it
      appears no one is challenging their power the challenge is there in
      silent communication. A look, a laugh, an unspoken opinion hangs
      suspended until its time to express has come. Real control is in the
      heart. It filters out the pretension, the sham, the show, the
      subterfuge. Intellect takes a back seat to honor which says a person can
      only control for the good of all. Control by sheer force is destined to
      break down - and the fall of it makes a great noise.
      ~ I feel grateful to the Great Spirit for strengthing my heart.... ~
      PETALESHARO - PAWNEE, 1800's
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - May 20
      "...the sacred ceremonies given to us by the Creator are the Heart of
      our existence. These ceremonies are our first duty."
      --Traditional Circle of Elders. NORTHERN CHEYENNE
      Hidden in the ceremonies are many truths, many principles, many
      guidelines for living— our access to the Unseen World, healing and
      visions. Because the Indian People didn't have schools or books, the
      Great Spirit gave us Ceremonies. The ceremonies are handed down from
      generation to generation to learn their meaning. Today, many Indian
      People live in cities or urban areas where it's hard to learn the
      ceremonies. We need to go to the Elders and learn the ceremonies so we
      can pass them on to our children.
      Great Spirit,
      teach me the
      Secrets of the
      Ceremonies.
      ------------------------>
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
        Permission graciously given by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.

        "THINK on THESE THINGS"
        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        It has been written that an optimist is someone who can fall ten stories
        and call out to each floor in passing that everything is okay so far. It
        has also been said that an optimist is someone who refuses to see things
        as they really are.
        It is far better, the pessimist believes, to look for the worst so as to
        be pleasantly surprised when things are better than expected. Then, if
        they are as bad as imagined, the disappointment won't be quite so great.
        But this is somewhat like backing into a room so to avoid seeing the
        beauty of it, only to find it is an elevator shaft.
        There can be no advancement where we expect the worst and believe that
        going outside the limits of ordinary thinking is only day dreaming.
        Thinkers, capable of forecasting and predicting answers before the
        questions arise, are in great demand.
        Only the optimist can fill the bill. Only the optimist can dare to
        believe there are things waiting for discovery and further development.
        An optimist questions life the same as a pessimist - the difference is
        that the optimist knows there is an answer and that the answer can be
        found. Optimists are aware that the cherries of life have pits, but they
        are prepared to remove them. Their minds do not dwell on the pits, but
        on the sweetness of the cherries.
        There will be situtations that will make us afraid. Fear is a common
        sense emotion that keeps us from walking out in front of a moving car or
        from jumping off the deep end of anything. And there are periods of
        natural anxiety when we want too much to perform well, and the
        butterflies begin to flutter.
        Then, there is another kind of fear that is unnatural. It has the
        ability to possess us and rule over our very lives. It is that "what if"
        fear that builds nests in our minds and hatches dire images that scare
        the daylights out of us. It can keep the lights off, the doors bolted,
        and the windows of our souls locked against the most beautiful things in
        life.
        It is no disgrace in this day to ask for professional help in
        understanding our fears. Only the very foolish would consider this help
        a crutch. It is a brave person who admits the need for help and has the
        courage to go and find it.
        They are the pioneers in recognizing our existence as threefold; spirit,
        mind, and body.
        June 26 - Daily Feast
        Make a quality decision to put aside anything that makes you worry the
        first thing in the morning. Keep morning as putty in your hands - that
        time to pray when your mind and spirit are rested. And if they are not
        rested, it is more important than ever to insist in morning freedom.
        Lift your arms and give thanks that you are you and a new life is
        pouring into you this very moment. Bow down and be grateful for the
        freedom to do it. Keep fear out by rebuking it. Keep joy in by
        cultivating it. You are not helpless, you just forget to be blessed
        early in the morning.
        ~ Get a little further, lest I tread on thee...... ~
        QUOTED BY SPECKLED SNAKE - 100-year old CREEK,   1829
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        White Bison, Inc., an American Indian owned non-profit corporation,
        produces and distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's
        Meditations", video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and
        posters. Order for yourself or a loved one here:
        http://www.whitebison.org
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 26
        "...when faithful human beings or other creatures called upon them for
        help, they [the Powers of the Four Directions] must send their
        powers..."
        --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
        Each of the four directions has special powers. These powers or
        Grandfathers are there to help us. The powers are from the East, the
        South, the West, and the North. To call upon the power we need to stand
        in the center and face each of the directions and honor all forms of
        life in each direction. Facing the East we honor all the two legged,
        four legged, winged ones, plants' nation and the animals. We repeat this
        prayer in each of the four directions. This allows us to become
        centered. When we are centered, then we are ready to call the helpers.
        It is said, when the student is ready, the teacher appears. If we are to
        be ready, we need to remember to always get quiet first. We do this by
        honoring and praying to the four directions.
        Grandfathers
        from the four
        directions,
        come to me
        today with
        Your powers.
        Give me Your
        gifts so I can
        serve the people.
        ----------------------->
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 14, 2002
          Available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
          "THINK on THESE THINGS"
          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          There is much to be said of small things. Even in this age of emphasis
          on bigness we must realize that bigness is only a mass of small things.
          An idea is a small thing. With it we can change our world. We can take a
          tiny seed and give it careful attention and reap a hundred fold. We can
          take a little idea and give it our attention and build it into a
          fortune.
          A smile is a small thing. Smile once at someone in passing and three
          will return the smile. Smiling is so contagious that it moves from
          person to person until a hundred smiling faces are the result of one.
          A thought is a small thing. One thought inspires another and another
          until a mental image is formed. From that mental image blueprints are
          drawn. And from those blueprints worlds are built.
          Hope is a small thing. One tiny glimmer of hope can lift us out of the
          deepest pit of darkness. One whisper of encouragement will help us to
          know that as long as there's hope there is an excellent chance.
          A wish is a small thing. Like a little prayer, it climbs the steps to an
          idea that makes a smile and gives us hope to make our wishes come true.
          For in small things are all great things formed, in little beginnings
          the possibilities of great events.
          September 13 - Daily Feast
          It is good to keep the promises we make to ourselves to enjoy a peaceful
          hour. How long has it been? How long has it been since we walked on a
          grassy hillside and watched the shadows hover and move? Walking is good
          for the legs - but it does wonders for the soul. The autumn season is
          one of the best times to walk and think. There is a rhythm in the earth
          that rises into our feet when we walk. In it is the healing and it
          centers the soul so that the cares of the world cannot get in to destroy
          peace. And peace has so many side effects. It restores youth and gives
          perspective to a world-weary mind.
          ~ The Great Spirit made these mountains and rivers for us, and all this
          land. ~
          BLACKFOOT - CROW, 1850's
          'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - September 13
          "The most important thing you can do during the course of the day is to
          pray."
          --Joe Coyhis, STOCKBRIDGE-MUNSEE
          There are many things we do during the day that are important. There are
          many places we have to go and there are many things to accomplish. The
          old ones say, the most important thing we can do is remember to take the
          time to pray. We should pray every morning and every evening. In this
          way we can be sure that the Great Spirit is running our lives. With the
          Great Spirit we are everything but without Him we are nothing. All
          Warriors know their greatest weapon is prayer. To spend time talking to
          the Creator is a great honor.
          Great Spirit,
          thank You for
          listening to my
          prayers.
          ------------------------>
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 10, 2002
[...]
            are prepared to remove them. Their minds do not dwell on pits, but on
            the sweetness of the cherries.
            There will be situations that will make us afraid. Fear is a common
            sense emotion that keeps us from walking in front of a moving car or
            from jumping off the deep end of anything. And there are periods of
            natural anxiety when we want too much to perform well, and the
            butterflies begin to flutter.
            Then, there is another kind of fear that is unnatural. It has the
            ability to possess us and rule over our very lives. It is that "what if"
            fear that builds nests in our minds and hatches dire images that scare
            the daylights out of us. It can keep the lights off, the doors bolted,
            and the windows of our souls firmly locked against the most beautiful
            things in life.
            It is no disgrace in this day to ask for professional help in
            understanding our fears. Only the very foolish would consider this help
            a crutch. It is a brave person who admits the need for help and has the
            courage to go and find it.
            They are the pioneers in recognizing our existence as three-fold:
            Spirit, mind and body.
            November 10 - Daily Feast
            For those who have a wait-and-see attitude it is more wait than see.
            Then they claim it is better to not expect anything than to be
            disappointed. These people build the same mental images - but they see
            nothing. Being able to see in the spirit is as necessary as having a
            blueprint to build a house. The details need to be filled in, finally
            coming to that completed picture - so vivid and clear that it must come
            into being. Anything we touch or use was first an image, an idea, in
            someone's mind. Seeing it and sensing it and loving it is writing an
            order to receive it. Mental images should never lack from a poor
            consciousness. Even if it seems impossible, fill it in. Ideas often have
            miracles of their own.
            ~ Our fathers gave us many laws, which they learned from their fathers.
            These laws were good. ~
            IN-MUT-TOO-YAH-LAT-LAT  -  NEZ PERCE
            'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
            Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 10
            "The battle for Indian children will be won in the classroom, not on the
            streets or on horses. The students of today are our warriors of
            tomorrow."
            --Wilma P. Mankiller, CHEROKEE
            The world is constantly changing. One of the strengths of Indian people
            has been our adaptability. In today's world, education is what we need
            to survive. We need doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists. We can
            become these things and still live in a cultural way. We need to live in
            two worlds; the educated world and the Indian cultural world. Education
            will help protect our land, our people's health, and provide knowledge
            for our people. We must teach reading, writing and arithmetic. Also, we
            must teach the language, the culture, the ceremony and the tradition of
            our people.
            Creator, let me
            remember You
            are my teacher.
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2002
              All of us have at sometime questioned our normalcy as human beings. We
              wonder why we did this or that, why we reacted to something so
              violently, or why we failed to react at all. An American author,
              Katherine Fullerton Gerould, has written, "The only glory most of us
              have to hope for is the glory of being normal." And for all our
              questionable actions sometimes, normal people must be those who have
              felt not only the high points, but the low points of their emotions.
              It is not the fact that people run the gamut of their emotions that make
              them normal, but that they have had the ability to right themselves
              before they could impose upon the rights of others.
              The persons who never lose their tempers, not shed tears, nor refuse to
              respond to other people, but stay day after day in light, shallow
              experience, have never know what it is to come into the center of the
              calm so richly appreciated.
              All of us have made mistakes in behavior, some in ignorance, but more in
              bad taste. Perfection belongs to a higher Source. It is ours to strive
              for, and our mistakes are to use in the growing-up process.
              November 14 - Daily Feast
              Having a career agenda is nothing without a spiritual agenda to back it
              up. Good plans and good intentions are a part of getting ahead, but it's
              not so different from whipping up a cake and finding there's no oven to
              bake it in. We are not one dimension, or two - we are three dimensions:
              body, mind and spirit. Only a very foolish person believes you can
              develop one part and ignore the others. Balance is important - perfect
              balance. It is the only way we do anything, because without it we fall
              flat on our faces. So why plan on the sky being the limit when there's
              no idea what the Spirit it. Cool and suave it isn't, solid as gold it
              is.
              ~ When we look into the history of our race, we see some green spots
              that are pleasing to us. We also find many things to make the heart sad.
              ~
              JOHN ROSS - CHEROKEE CHIEF
              'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
              Elder's Meditation of the Day - November 14
              "The hearts of little children are pure, and therefore, the Great Spirit
              may show to them many things which older people miss."
              --Black Elk (Hehaka Sapa) OGLALA LAKOTA
              Sometimes adults think they know more than the children. But the
              children are closer to the truth. Have you ever noticed how quickly they
              can let go of resentments? Have you ever noticed how free they are of
              prejudice? Have you ever noticed how well the children listen to their
              bodies? Maybe adults need to be more like children. They are so
              innocent. The children pray to the Creator and trust that He will take
              care of them.
              Grandfather,
              today let the
              children be my
              teacher.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2003
                There must be a great many persons who have questioned their own wisdom
                in having fought for a principle. To so many, it seems all they gleaned
                from it was the title "different". Isn't this why so many refuse to
                stand up for what they believe? We look at them in disbelief, the idea
                that someone is trying to attract attention. If they are not twitted
                about their actions they are treated with cold indifference which can be
                even worse.
                It seems that if persons have the strength to say they will fight for a
                certain truth, they must also have the strength to fight alone without
                depending on those around them to tell them how they should conform.
                They must not be embarrassed to be counted as unusual in the pursuit of
                their particular belief.
                But the individuals who find themselves alone in the stand they take
                must remember that if it is truth they are following it will eventually
                win and at least they can live with themselves. Not everyone can say
                that.
                H.W. Beecher has written, "It is often said it is no matter what a man
                believes if he is only sincere. But let a man sincerely believe that
                seed planted without ploughing is as good as with; that January is as
                favorable for seed-sowing as April; and that cockle seed will produce as
                good a harvest as wheat, and is it so?"
                Sincerity, like trust, must be rooted in those basic truths that are for
                the good of everyone. If that which we sincerely believe in and live by
                is truly good, then the results will speak so loudly that all who really
                want to will see. Until we sincerely want to know good and do good, we
                will never know it. And until we do, we only half live.
                January 24 - Daily Feast
                Other people have no more power than we do. They may have the knack for
                making us think they can do anything. A little adjustment down in our
                minds will stop the thought that we must cope and compete with those who
                have greater advantages. If we believe anything holds us back, limits
                our ability, we can know beyond a doubt that more ability resides in us
                than we will ever have time to hone and develop. When we are doing
                something we love to do, it comes naturally to mind our own business and
                to polish our own skills. Love for the right work takes it out of the
                role of labor and competition and makes it into a work of art. Then, the
                little competitive self is dissolved into a powerful giant that didn't
                realize how much he was growing.
                ~ Your nation supposes that we, like the white people, cannot live
                without bread and pork and beer. But you ought to know that He, the
                Great Spirit and Master of Life has provided....for us in these spacious
                lakes....and woody mountains. ~
                PONTIAC,  1762
                Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 24
                "Always listen to what the Elders say."
                --Dona Josefa Medrano, HUICHOL, SIERRA MADRE, MEXICO
                In school we have been taught to go to the encyclopedia when we need
                information about certain subjects. From the time we are little, we have
                a natural tendency to seek out role models. When we need information
                about living we tend to seek out books about living. These maybe self
                help books. The world is full of information. For the Native people, we
                have our Elders. All races have Elders. Our lives will run much smoother
                when we listen to the Elders. They don't always tell us what we want to
                hear but they always tell us what we need to hear. The Elders have the
                ability to make the truth sweet.
                Creator, thank
                You for the
                Elders. Help
                me this day to
                listen to them.
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2003
                  Happy Birthday Leanne (mi hermana)!
                  Available online! 'Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III' Permission to post
                  her messages was graciously given to me by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.
                  Courage must have its everyday face. We can't preserve it just for
                  special occasions. We must have courage when we are disappointed,
                  because disappointment is a robber of reason and faith, and even
                  dignity. We must remember that whatever we have to meet there is
                  something within us to help us meet it. But it is like a vein of rich
                  ore. We must tap it, know what it is, and turn it into a finished
                  product that will serve a purpose.
                  Every day we must have courage to forgive. The adamant we shall always
                  face, but to forgive is to disarm. To forgive is to release and to
                  release is to remove the graceless things that make it necessary to
                  forgive.
                  A little common, everyday courage can give a life so much more to live
                  for and to find contentment in the knowledge that today I did not give
                  in to the smaller self. And I can draw on the strength from One who bore
                  personal suffering with supreme courage.
                  A comforting adage is that it is always darkest just before the dawn.
                  The darkest of fear and worry and misunderstanding can last only so
                  long, and then the light of dawn breaks through to show everything in
                  its true perspective.
                  To someone who is troubled, the darkness holds only the most frightening
                  difficulties. This kind of night seems to have no end, but given a
                  little time it will pass, as will our problems. The very fact that we
                  are not alone should give some comfort, for no matter what we are
                  experiencing someone else has been there too. We must not delude
                  ourselves with notions that we are meant to be cross-bearers forever.
                  And frequently, they are much better people who emerge from their own
                  night to remember that it is as important to have faith in the dark as
                  it is easy to have faith in the sunshine.
                  February 13 - Daily Feast
                  Once a person gets despair out of the way, few things can slow his
                  progress. Despair is the dividing line between those who can take
                  impossibility in stride and those who wilt at the first sign of
                  opposition. Too much energy is absorbed in despair. Strength gives way
                  to weakness and weakness robs us of the will to overcome. Anything that
                  wastes energy should be left behind. Energy cuts doubt to the bone. When
                  a word of power is spoken, new strength is generated. Power words are
                  not just u wo du hi, pretty words, but strong words of courage that are
                  heard in the ear and then in the heart where they stay to do a perfect
                  work.
                  ~ This is a serious time with you. May the Lord bring you out of all
                  your troubles. Trust your course with Him. ~ CHIEF JOHN ROSS
                  products from their website: http://www.whitebison.org Elder's
                  Meditation of the Day - February 13 "I wanted to feel, smell, hear and
                  see, but not see with my eyes and my mind only. I wanted to see with
                  CANTE ISTA-the eye of the heart." --Lame Deer, LAKOTA
                  Why is it what some people seem to have peace of mind every day? How do
                  some people remain so darn positive? How do you stay positive if you
                  work or live in a negative environment? How is it that two people can
                  observe the same difficult situation, but one person is upset about it,
                  and other isn't? Two people experiencing the same situation react
                  entirely different. If each morning we ask the Creator to allow us to
                  see with His understanding and with His love, we will open a new way of
                  "seeing". This eye of the heart is a free gift given to us if we ask for
                  it in prayer each day.
                  Grandfather,
                  allow me to see
                  the world and
                  all things You
                  have made
                  through "the
                  eye of my
                  heart."
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29 11:37 AM
                    In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, in
                    the right places, at the right time, we must have truly extraordinary
                    qualities to become successes on our own.
                    They who have worked hard and achieved success often carry a double
                    burden by wrongful accusations of being privileged characters. Perhaps
                    some to whom doors automatically open because of right connections seem
                    to be privileged characters, but they, like dictators, have a limited
                    existence.
                    Having connections may help us on the ladder of life, but it will never
                    keep those rungs steady beneath our feet. Only our own greatness keeps
                    us tall, sun-crowned. We must have something to give, something to offer
                    before we can expect to be truly privileged characters. And then, we
                    will have earned the right to our privileges. We are somewhat like God,
                    blamed for much we don't do and seldom given credit for the good we have
                    done.
                    Whatever the future, the world still needs citizens like those J.G.
                    Holland wrote about nearly a century ago: "God give us men. The times
                    demand strong minds, great hearts, true faith, and willing
                    hands.....Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog, in public duty
                    and in private thinking!"
                    March 28 - Daily Feast
                    Few sounds in nature are harsh. Even the rolling thunder that rumbles
                    across the sky has solemn beauty. The wind makes whistles in the
                    treetops and wild birds warble like rivulets of water that make harps
                    among the shallows.  The frenzied crash and blare come from man. The
                    woods comfort with their sounds. A tiny yellow warbler with black wings
                    sits in the redbud tree and makes the sound of an astral flute, a clear
                    call for peace and harmony. If the bird wants a tranquil place - how
                    much more we need it. A wet-weather spring feeds the ground from
                    beneath, giving ferns moisture and life. In the rainy season the water
                    flows and the delicate fronds mingle with the water creating a swishing
                    sound. Surely we can absorb the serenity to heal and soothe our souls.
                    ~ Creator of the world, Maker of all men; Lord of lords, my eyes fail
                    me.....for the sole desire to know thee. ~
                    INCA HYMN
                    Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 28
                    "Sacred sites and areas are protection for all people?the four colors
                    for man?and these sites are in all areas of the earth in the four
                    directions."
                    --Traditional Circle of Elders, NORTHERN CHEYENNE
                    The Elders say that values come from the Mother Earth. Different places
                    and areas around the Earth have different values. The Water people live
                    in harmony and know the values that correspond to that particular part
                    of the Earth. The Desert people know the values of the desert and
                    respect and live in harmony with that part of the Earth. The Woodland
                    people know the values of their part of the Earth and live in harmony.
                    If you live in harmony with the Earth, you will live a life that is full
                    of values. We should have great respect for the Mother Earth.
                    Grandfather,
                    today, let me
                    learn values
                    from Mother
                    Earth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 5, 2003
                      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sat, Apr 5, 2003, 10:26am To:
                      [openfires] April 5 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                      openfires@yahoogroups.com
                      It doesn't seem that a simple thing like going fishing could have such
                      excellent results when the world suddenly seems too much. It is a very
                      difficult thing to worry when your mind is fixed intently on a little
                      red and white plastic float bobbing in the water.
                      Just taking one's mind off the general routine of living for even a
                      short time is like a much needed and appreciated vacation. We seldom
                      recognize the need for getting away from the monotony of following each
                      day with another day exactly like it. We lose the value of the hours and
                      minutes and lump them all together and plod along expecting miracles to
                      come some day and save us.
                      The effort we have to give is in releasing the problem and concentrating
                      on something beautifully simple and uncomplicated. Living doesn't seem
                      so ominous when we can go fishing for a little peace and quiet, and
                      sidetrack the things that weigh so heavily on our minds.
                      Good health is such a blessing. We don't all realize how much we aid or
                      harm our own health. In fact, we give much more thought to being careful
                      not to get wet than being careful not to get angry. And it is said that
                      anger can lower resistance to colds much quicker than getting wet.
                      It is a proven fact that to feel love builds a resistance to illnesses
                      while resentment and hate can destroy both mind and body.
                      Longfellow once wrote that joy, temperance, and repose would slam the
                      door on the doctor's nose. There's no doubt but that most doctor's noses
                      are safe. But they, too, would be glad if more patients would exercise
                      their abilities to lift themselves out of much of their ill health by
                      knowing some measure of joy rather than self pity, some healthy thoughts
                      and less thought of self.
                      We lower our resistance to ill health in many ways, but none works
                      against us as surely as worry, anxiety, and care, plus our inability to
                      recognize the fact that we are our own greatest enemy.
                      April 5 - Daily Feast
                      Power of some kind affects everything we do. But this power is not
                      political or electronic so that one little glitch can wipe it out in
                      seconds. The real power is what the Cherokee calls adadolisdi - which is
                      prayer. Quicker than lightning, it if is handled the right way it can do
                      anything. Born of spirit, this power is dynamite. It does not rely on
                      outside currents of energy to keep it going, but thrives on
                      self-generated faith that is properly fed and well-kept. We have no idea
                      how dynamic this inner power is until we begin to rely totally on things
                      and people outside ourselves. It is then that we feel the lack of joy
                      needed to connect us to powerful adadolisdi, the language of love and
                      worship. We can overcome the impossible with fire and nettle. We can
                      grow in stamina with every breath - when we learn to use the power that
                      is within us.
                      ~ We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel
                      about the Great Spirit. ~
                      CHIEF JOSEPH
                      Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 5
                      "As we plunge ahead to build empires and race for supremacy we should
                      stop and listen to [the female] song of life. For without the female
                      there is no life."
                      Women are created with the ability to produce life. Women have a special
                      tie to the Earth Mother. They have something in common. They are the
                      source of life. The Earth Mother gives songs to the Woman to sing. These
                      songs are about life, about beauty, about children, about love, about
                      family, about strength, about caring, about nurturing, about
                      forgiveness, about God. The World needs to pay attention and listen to
                      Her. She knows.
                      Great Spirit,
                      let me listen to
                      Her songs.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
                        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 31, 2003, 9:05am To:
                        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 31 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
                        In this day of emphasis on right connections with the right people, into
[...]
                        Rejoice when the going gets rough, when everything turns mean. It is
                        time to shout and clap our hands - if only in the privacy of our own
                        minds. To rejoice in difficulty doesn't seem reasonable, because the
                        natural way would be to give up and cry. But we rebound from trouble
                        faster when we turn off the tears and turn on the joy. It comes from the
                        inside and goes to the outside - and that is how the u hi so di, the
                        spell or gloom, is broken. If we have never done it before, we need to
                        learn how to think joy and act joyful, because the heart is listening -
                        and it is out of the heart that all issues are settled.
                        ~ I beg you now to believe that, all miserable as we seem in your eye,
                        we consider ourselves nevertheless much happier than you. ~
                        GASPESIAN CHIEF,  1676
                        Look behind you. See your sons and your daughters. They are your future.
                        Look farther and see your sons' and your daughters' children and their
                        children's children even unto the Seventh Generation. That's the way we
                        were taught. Think about it: you yourself are a Seventh Generation."
                        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
                        The Creator designed us with a free will. That means we function from
                        choices and consequences. It is important that we practice thinking
                        about consequences before we make decisions about choices. Every choice
                        I make is like setting up dominos one after the other that produce
                        consequences. Not just for me but also for my children and for the
                        children that are unborn. My choices and decision today will have
                        consequences for seven generations. For example, if I work on my own
                        spiritual development and I walk the Red Road, the odds are that my
                        children will. They will marry and their children will follow the Red
                        Road and so will my grandchildren even up to the seventh generation.
                        This will happen because of the choices and decisions that I make today.
                        Great Spirit,
                        grant that the choices
                        and decisions that I make today
                        will honor