Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , May 8, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Irritation, they say, is something gentle folk should never know. Always
      passive, they go along the way smiling, no matter what the cost to
      feelings. But have you ever tried to smile when all the street lights
      are red and someone honked loudly when you failed to move quickly
      enough.
      Have you heard a politician slur the name of your candidate.... and had
      a promise broken without so much as a faint explanation. Or perhaps the
      long explanations on how to do something you've done for years....and
      suddenly you want to make two lists of people you like and people you
      don't like!
      And maybe you've answered the telephone and heard them hang up simply
      because your voice was not the right voice.... Or had them stand back
      empty handed while you with your packages opened the door for them?
      Well, it's no easy matter to be gentle folk and the mildest can get
      angry all over again by just thinking of an injustice. Perhaps it is
      trifling to let such little things irritate. But the best of us feel the
      small things that we never quite get over. We forgive and forget except
      to think about it occasionally, and then we must consider the words of
      Seneca, "Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than
      the injury that provoked it."
      We live in a continual round of adjustments. It is usually an admirable
      thing to be able to make adjustments easily. Not many can. And, yet, it
      makes us wonder at times if those who can so freely change and move
      without emotions have ever felt very deeply.
      We tend to cling to familiar things and familiar customs. There is a
      great security in traveling a way we know by heart. The roughest road
      can usually be traveled without incident when we know ever turn and
      bump.
      It has been said by those who do scientific research that it takes at
      least three weeks to adjust to changes. But three months would do it
      more justice. And it must be done by abandonment, by setting aside for a
      period of time all things like the old way. Many times it is done not
      for ourselves alone, for it is foolish to believe a change involves only
      ourselves.
      In our very complex way of life there is no situation to afflict only
      one person. And often the most wonderful thing we can do for someone
      else is to find our own balance by making adjustments uickly, even in
      the middle of chaos.
      May 8 - Daily Feast
      Always look behind the stick that stirs. You will find the promoter, the
      wild card, the puff of wind, but you will find the mother who was the
      guiding light. This mother is not a figurehead and not someone who
      exploits her children to be years older than their emotional makeup. She
      does not threaten nor does she have to consider it. Her children respect
      her standars and make them their own. She is not always a beautiful
      woman - but a lovely one whose life is not a fad or a trendy excursion,
      but a journey that is memorable to many.
      ~ The ground on which we stand is sacred ground. It is the dust and
      blood of our ancestors. ~
      PLENTY-COUPS - CROW CHIEF, 1909
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - May 8
      "Anyways, with medicine there's a time and a place for everything. It
      only comes around once. You have to get it at the right time."
      ---- Cecilia Mitchell, MOHAWK
      The old ones say two things must be present for a miracle to take place.
      One, the right time. Two, the right place. This is why we need to honor
      our ceremonies. Ceremonies are done in an order. This order is applied
      to open a "door" to the right time and place of the medicine. This door
      opens to the Spiritual World. The Spiritual World is available to us at
      the right time and the right place.
      My Creator,
      let me be
      patient today
      so the timing
      is right.
      ----------------------->
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.