Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , May 6, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      There may be many reasons why man wants to conquer the world, but there
      is something youthful and soul-stirring to be able to do it for
      somebody. Living within oneself is barren and shallow, lacking in warmth
      and without understanding. But when we can be outgoing and giving, the
      importance of others becomes doubly strong.
      It is impossible to even be selfish without the help of others. Who
      would we take from, blame troubles on, resent, and criticize? But more
      important, who would care when we're ill, who would be happy where we're
      blessed, and who would love us when we least deserve it?
      The world may be deluged with problems and solutions, laws to live by,
      formulas, fear, faith, and the everlasting struggle to survive in the
      face of others, but it is just as necessary to share laughter in
      happiness, to know God in a sunset, and to feel joy in a sunrise, all
      more beautiful because of others.
      Victor Hugo wrote that the greatest happiness in life is in knowing that
      others love us, for ourselves, or rather, they love us in spite of
      ourselves.
      May 6 - Daily Feast
      The small things that make up our lives are pleasant and filled with
      sweet silences that soothe the soul. But even more commonplace, a lunch,
      a walk, the companionship of a sweet friend, our dog. So many little
      things we take for granted and yet when we pay attention they all become
      new. The garden path, the sound of thunder, and the splat of rain on our
      hat brim. It is good medicine for a jaded attitude, good feeling to help
      us shed the chaos of the day.
      ~ The old Lakota was wise. He knew that man's heart away from nature
      becomes hard. ~
      LUTHER STANDING BEAR - LAKOTA CHIEF, 1898
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - May 6
      "We must remember that the heart of our religion is alive and that each
      person has the ability within to awaken and walk in a sacred manner."
      ---- Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
      The Native Spirituality is full of life. When we seek it we become
      alive. Even if we have gone astray and have conducted ourselves in a bad
      way, we can look within and have a new awakening to life. Maybe we have
      drunk too much alcohol; maybe we have cheated on our spouse; maybe we
      have done things that make us feel guilty and ashamed. If we look
      outside ourselves, we will not find life; if we look inside, we will
      find life. Anytime we choose to change our lives, we only need to look
      inside. How do we do this? Take some sage and light it, close your eyes
      and say to the Great Sirit, I'm tired, I need your help. Please help me
      change.
      Great Spirit, I
      know you exist
      inside of
      myself. Let me
      awaken to
      your
      teachings.
      ------------------------>
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.