Daily Meditation~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 92 , May 2, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      There must be a great many persons who have questioned their own wisdom
      in having fought for a principle. To so many, it seems all they gleaned
      from it was the title "different". Isn't this why so many refuse to
      stand up for what they believe? We look at them in disbelief, the idea
      that someone is trying to attract attention. If they are not twitted
      about their actions they are treated with cold indifference which can be
      even worse.
      It seems that if person have the strength to say they will fight for a
      certain truth, they must also have the strength to fight alone without
      depending on those around them to tell them how they should conform.
      They must not be embarrassed to be counted as unusual in the pursuit of
      their particular belief.
      But the individuals who find themselves alone in the stand they take
      must remember that if it is truth they are following it will eventually
      win and at least they can live with themselves. Not everyone can say
      that.
      H. W. Beecher has written, "It is often said it is no matter what a man
      believes if he is only sincere. But let a man sincerely believe that
      seed planted without ploughing is as good as with; that January is as
      favorable for seed-sowing as April; and that cockle seed will produce as
      good a harvest as wheat, and it is so?"
      Sincerity, like trust, must be rooted in those basic truths that are for
      the good of everyone. If that which we sincerely believe in and live by
      is truly good, then the results will speak so loudly that all who really
      want to will see. Until we sincerely want to know good and do good, we
      will never know it. And until we do, we only half live.
      May 2 - Daily Feast
      Gramps spoke lovingly of the "fellows" that swam up to the dock where
      his fishing lines were dropped over the side. He talked to them as
      though they understood every word - and they took the hook. It is said
      of the fishermen that never catches anything that he never will. He
      keeps going but he keeps saying he is not lucky, and his spirit leads
      him to where there are no fish. He believes in chance, which all people
      believe when they don't know their own spirits. Not only does it work
      this way when he is fishing but in all he tries to do.
      ~ In order to honor Him I must honor His works in nature. ~
      BRAVE BUFFALO - SIOUX
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - May 2
      "Think only about what is holy. Empty your mind."
      --Archie Fire Lame Deer, LAKOTA
      If we let our minds wander, we will come up with a lot of junk: maybe
      bad thoughts about a brother or sister, maybe angry thoughts, maybe
      self-pity thoughts. Our minds are not the boss. We can instruct our mind
      to think about whatever we want to think about. We cannot stop thinking,
      be we can choose what to think about. The Elders say we move towards
      what we think about. That's why they say, "Think about what is holy,
      think about the Grandfathers, think about culture, think about values,
      think about ceremonies, and think about good."
      Great Spirit,
      today, empty
      my mind and let me
      experience
      what it would
      be like to think
      about what is
      holy.
      ----------------------->
      Message 92 of 92 , Jul 3 1:05 PM
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 3, 2003, 1:22am To:
        [openfires] July 3 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        openfires@yahoogroups.com
        In the frantic search for something that has meaning to life, we have a
        tendency to do a thing simply because everyone else is doing it. It
        becomes a "thing," a fad that must be done to keep on the inside circle.
        There's little originality, little thought, but a lot of following along
        in beaten paths.
        It is a mistaken idea to believe that all I see with my eyes and the
        limits of my thinking are the limits of the world. There is a tremendous
        interesting world out there never before investigated, and I am an
        individual like no one else.
        It is quite marvelous to break through the shell of the middling and to
        discover the ability to see and feel, and to hear more keenly. Suddenly,
        I can feel more kindly, not because of who I am on this earth, but
        because I'm a child of God.
        I can see more color, more light, more vision because I'm not being
        shown, I'm discovering. My world is no longer based on passing fancies,
        but on lasting built slowly within me, with love.
        We are always rich when we have courage. It is not the circumstance in
        which we find ourselves but how we handle it that makes the difference.
        If nothing ever challenged us we might not know our strength - we might
        never feel the power to overcome something that gives us courage to
        tackle another o ta li, mountain. Giving up does not come on us
        suddenly, but we cultivate it on a daily basis. Everything, success or
        failure - or even mediocrity - settles on us as we get ready for it.
        When we think and talk failure, it happens. When we think we can do
        something, we can do it. It takes as much effort to lose as it does to
        win - sometimes more. But to think courage, to think strength, is the
        breath of life.
        ~ Why don't you talk and go straight and all will be well? ~
        BLACK KETTLE
        "When you are in the woods, you cannot ever be lost. You are surrounded
        by friends and surrounded by God."
        --Joe Coyhis, STOCKBRIDGE-MUNSEE
        Every plant, every animal, every insect, every bird, every tree is made
        up of God. God is life and everything is alive. When you are hunting,
        remember all nature is your friend. All nature has purpose. All nature
        participates in the life cycle. Nature communicates; Nature talks;
        Nature listens; Nature forgives; Nature respects; Nature loves. Nature
        lives in harmony. Nature follows the law. Nature is kind. Nature is
        balance. The woods are alive and beautiful. She is our friend.
        Great Spirit,
        let me honor
        and respect
        the forest