Daily Meditation~~~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Bad feelings are burdens. When we get to the point of believing the
      whole world is sour because we don't understand it, we have a lot of
      self-searching to do. Maybe we helped it to lose its sweetness. Maybe
      we're the bad apple that soured the whole lot.
      Our first thought should be to make ammends. Sometimes we can't, and
      when such is the case we need to get out of the way and let time and
      nature take its course.
      Life is too beautiful to go on being a bitter pill that insists that
      everyone swallow it. As in the words of Caleb C. Colton, an English
      clergyman around the turn of the century, "The man who has so little
      knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but
      his own disposition, will waste his life in fruitless efforts, and
      multiply the grief which he proposes to remove."
      We need to unburden ourselves by forgetting our problems and doing
      something that will put a smile on someone else's face.
      The quickest way to solve the problem of hurt feelings is to inquire if
      this situation is important to the whole of existence. Does this
      particular thing mean more than any of the other things of life? It is
      amazing how quickly trials fade into nothingness when faced with this
      question. It places before us the need to decide here and now the
      meaning of our whole existence.
      There are not many things in our lives that we can truthfully say mean
      everything to us. The small things are important and very dear, but the
      really significant things we count on one hand - life, our loved ones,
      our good desires, our faith, and our nation.
      One of the most magnified situations in this day is taking life too
      seriously. In the stress of too much mental confusion we seem unable to
      laugh off so many little irritations. We let personality rule us into
      making each little problem the source of great anxiety and dramatically
      lay hold of it until it chokes us.
      The worthwhile side of this life is too important to let ourselves
      become involved with things that mean little to us. Too much of the
      trouble in the world is caused from ego-building importance that would
      never be missed in anyone's existence.
      April 21 - Daily Feast
      Evening hours in the country bring nature's songs. Coyotes, (probably
      three or four, but sounding like a whole chorus) stir up the
      neighborhood dogs. The woods serve as a concert hall for amorous owls
      that call to one another in a variety of tones and squalls. And in the
      lull that always comes, the plaintive whippoorwill makes its plea. Its
      flight resembles staggering, but its song is the song of love. To the
      Indian, these sounds are all but symphonic and will be heard again in
      busier places.
      ~ Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and learn to
      hear my feeble voice. ~
      BLACK ELK - SIOUX
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 21
      "Conciliation is the key to survival. Peace is the goal."
      --Haida Gwaii, Traditional Circle of Elders
      When we make decisions or experience conflict we need to look at the
      greater whole. The end result we want to accomplish is peace of mind. If
      we keep this goal in mind, we will, overall, live a happy and fulfilling
      life. Everything in the world is constantly changing so we should not
      resist this change. A good question to ask ourselves is, "would I rather
      be right or happy?" If we would rather be happy, then it is easier to
      let the little things go. If we would rather be right, we tend to look
      for the WIN/LOSE.
      Great Spirit,
      today, give me
      the tools to