Daily Meditation~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 8, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyc Sequichie Hifler
      Henry David Thoreau, whose cry was "Simplify! Simplify!" went to great
      measures to prove himself, and perhaps to society, that life could be
      lived in the most simplest manner and at the least expense. With only a
      few dollars he managed to provide for himself the things of absolute
      necessity for quite a long period of time.
      Not many of us would care to exist on the absolute necessities. We have
      become too much accustomed to easier living. Things that were once
      thought of as luxuries are now considered necessities. And yet, with all
      of this, life is anything but simple. We seem to have the ability to
      complicate the best laid plans and find ourselves shadow boxing.
      Like many of the trite old adages, "Life is what we make it," is so
      true. By our own minds we accept or reject, by ignoring or by searching
      out the causes of shadows and removing the cause. It is whatever we
      elect to do about our individual lives that makes the difference. But we
      shall make great strides when we recognize the supreme excellence in all
      things of simplicity.
      We don't need to worry about doing without the necessary things in life
      - if we have a grateful heart. A grateful heart is not just remembering
      to write a few words to someone who has done a kindness, or saying thank
      you graciously and at the right moment. A grateful heart is the feeling
      of great blessing which precedes that thank you note and that verbal
      expression.
      A grateful heart is one that always knows the fullness of that rich
      feeling of first being grateful without cause. And then all other
      gratitude and its expression comes naturally.
      Perhaps true gratitude is a grateful thought toward heaven that I should
      be chosen to fill this spot, do this work, and have been given the
      strength to do it.
      It was Romaine, the English theologian, who said, "Gratitude to God
      makes even a temporal blessing a taste of heaven." We can have so much
      more heaven with a grateful heart.
      April 8 - Daily Feast
      Age magnifies who we have been all along. Our minds are planted with
      words that seed the very ground on which we stand. There should be
      regret for having planted seeds that will not allow change.
      Responsibility to what we have planted is our alone. It is a garden that
      we must weed - and it should not be a surprise to us that there are so
      many weeds and not many flowers. We have talked weeds and tangled our
      lives with brambles. But we have the same privilege of making sweeping
      changes - and we can.
      ~ Grandfather, Great Spirit, you are older that all need....you are
      older than all prayer....
      you are the life of things. ~
      BLACK ELK - OGLALA SIOUX
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 8
      "The very dust upon which you now stand responds more lovingly to [my
      people's] footsteps than to yours, because it is rich with the blood of
      our ancestors and our bare feet are conscious of the sympathetic touch."
      --Chief Sealth, DUWAMISH
      If you respect something, it will respect you back. If your ancestors
      respected something, the future generations will be respected back. The
      Indian ancestors always showed great respect for the Earth. That's why
      the Earth is so respectful to Indians today. Every Indian naturally
      feels connectedness to the Earth. We know the Earth holds our ancestors.
      If we continue to respect Mother Earth, our children will benefit and so
      will our grand- children. Today, we should think about and pray for our
      Mother Earth.
      Grandmother,
      let me have
      strong feelings
      for our Earth
      today.
      ------------------------>
      Message 92 of 92 , Jul 3 1:05 PM
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Thu, Jul 3, 2003, 1:22am To:
        [openfires] July 3 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        openfires@yahoogroups.com
        In the frantic search for something that has meaning to life, we have a
        tendency to do a thing simply because everyone else is doing it. It
        becomes a "thing," a fad that must be done to keep on the inside circle.
        There's little originality, little thought, but a lot of following along
        in beaten paths.
        It is a mistaken idea to believe that all I see with my eyes and the
        limits of my thinking are the limits of the world. There is a tremendous
        interesting world out there never before investigated, and I am an
        individual like no one else.
        It is quite marvelous to break through the shell of the middling and to
        discover the ability to see and feel, and to hear more keenly. Suddenly,
        I can feel more kindly, not because of who I am on this earth, but
        because I'm a child of God.
        I can see more color, more light, more vision because I'm not being
        shown, I'm discovering. My world is no longer based on passing fancies,
        but on lasting built slowly within me, with love.
        We are always rich when we have courage. It is not the circumstance in
        which we find ourselves but how we handle it that makes the difference.
        If nothing ever challenged us we might not know our strength - we might
        never feel the power to overcome something that gives us courage to
        tackle another o ta li, mountain. Giving up does not come on us
        suddenly, but we cultivate it on a daily basis. Everything, success or
        failure - or even mediocrity - settles on us as we get ready for it.
        When we think and talk failure, it happens. When we think we can do
        something, we can do it. It takes as much effort to lose as it does to
        win - sometimes more. But to think courage, to think strength, is the
        breath of life.
        ~ Why don't you talk and go straight and all will be well? ~
        BLACK KETTLE
        "When you are in the woods, you cannot ever be lost. You are surrounded
        by friends and surrounded by God."
        --Joe Coyhis, STOCKBRIDGE-MUNSEE
        Every plant, every animal, every insect, every bird, every tree is made
        up of God. God is life and everything is alive. When you are hunting,
        remember all nature is your friend. All nature has purpose. All nature
        participates in the life cycle. Nature communicates; Nature talks;
        Nature listens; Nature forgives; Nature respects; Nature loves. Nature
        lives in harmony. Nature follows the law. Nature is kind. Nature is
        balance. The woods are alive and beautiful. She is our friend.
        Great Spirit,
        let me honor
        and respect
        the forest