Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Apr 5, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Are you one of those people who degrades yourself in idle conversation
      until it becomes a fact within your mind? Has it become your belief that
      this is true humility, talking down your abilities, hiding your light,
      refusing to accept your rights as a child of God as being meek and
      humble?
      This thing called life is given to us for a purpose, never to downgrade;
      no more than we should blow it out of proportion by thinking too highly
      of ourselves.
      Each life is important, each breath for a purpose, each moment a time
      for learning. Walt Whitman has written in "Leaves of Grass": "Whoever
      you are! motion and reflection are especially for you; the divine ship
      sails the divine sea for you. Whoever you are! you are he or she for
      whom the earth is solid and liquid, you are he or she for whom the sun
      and moon hang in the sky, for none more than you are the present and the
      past. For none more than you is immortality."
      By our words we reveal our minds. It is so easy to refuse to be a
      channel through which the best can reveal itself. And it is so easy to
      forget that our song of life, as Whitman has written, "The song is to
      the singer, and comes back most to him. I swear the earth shall surely
      be complete to him or her who shall be complete!"
      Human beings worry a great deal about what others think. It is a nagging
      worry that somehow the curtain that protects our privacy from the eyes
      of the world will suddenly drop and allow us to see all the things our
      pride has hidden.
      Why is it that we seemingly need to be clever in order to handle the
      world? Why can't we just live honestly and openly, without scheming and
      trying to appear that we are something we are not? The world is so heavy
      laden with priggish pride that the clean simple truth is lost in playing
      it cool. Why can't we quit being something pent up inside and be
      something like sunshine or showers right out here where we can enjoy it
      or get over it?
      Socrates said that the shortest and surest way to live with honor in the
      world is to be in reality what we would appear to be. And we may just as
      well, because if there isn't a good cake under all that frosting,
      someone is going to know it anyway. To drop all pretense and say with
      genuine honesty, "This is the way I am" would be to find a whole new way
      of enjoying the simplicity of being ourselves.
      April 5 - Daily Feast
      Think for yourself. Stop living by tradition that promises you the moon
      and gives you a rock to carry. Think things through - if one way looks
      easier than another, take the bolder way. Don't think what it is going
      to get you but what it is going to build in you. Some things feed the
      body and some the spirit. Go with the spirit - it already knows what you
      need to know.
      ~ Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our
      country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers. ~
      TECUMSEH - SHAWNEE, 1808
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 5
      "As we plunge ahead to build empires and race for supremacy we should
      stop and listen to [the female] song of life. For without the female
      there is no life."
      --Oren R. Lyons, Spokesman, Traditional Circle of Elders
      Women are created with the ability to produce life. Women have a special
      tie to the Earth Mother. They have something in common. They are the
      source of life. The Earth Mother gives songs to the Woman to sing. These
      songs are about life, about beauty, about children, about love, about
      family, about strength, about caring, about nurturing, about
      forgiveness, about God. The World needs to pay attention and listen to
      Her. She knows.
      Great Spirit,
      let me listen to
      Her songs.
      ----------------------->
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.