Daily Meditaion~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      All things in sequence, first the bud and then the flower. We can no
      more hold back the blossom than we can the daylight. It is inevitably
      there, beautifully delicate and subject to crushing. Only through very
      careful tending will it withstand the winds and rain and pressures of
      the outside.
      Sequence is the order of human life. God intended us to unfold as the
      flower; first the seed in the fertile soil, the birth, the growth, the
      learning, the discoveries, the knowledge, the desires, the fulfillment
      as each phase of life follows its own sequence. We hold back the
      flowering of life only if we want it to be nonexistent, for it must
      progress. And in some of the most tender spots progression must be slow,
      easy, and reverently handled, for it can be as fragile as the flower.
      There is within us a delicacy of thought which entwines itself
      throughout our beings, crossing from phase to phase, creating within us
      conflicts not easily understood. Something out of sequence in one phase
      may postpone the flowering of another phase. The very roots of our souls
      must be watered with reverence to successfully follow the sequence of
      life. If no other human understands or cares to understand, if we do,
      then continue - first the bud and then the flower.
      Of all the intricate and complicated creations in the world, humanity
      occupies the first place. Our lives are made up of such flexuous
      combination of body, soul, and spirit that we do not even understand
      ourselves.
      We all desire to know what makes us tick and how to go about making
      ourselves tick better. Whether we realize it or not, we are in search of
      the truth of our own being. Why are we here? What step should we take
      next? One problem after another, question after question brings us to
      this place again and again.
      They are our personal problems and the wisest of persons cannot give us
      the answers. We will always need help to encourage us in our search, but
      we must go within ourselves to cure, to live, to feel, to believe.
      We must win our own hearts before we can find happiness with others. We
      must know what we want and be willing to share it with others, for it is
      written that life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of
      little things, in which smiles and kindness win and preserve the heart.
      English divine John Mason wrote these words, "By these things examine
      thyself: By whose rules am I acting in: in whose names; in whose
      strength; in whose glory? What faith, humility, self-denial and love of
      God and to man have there been in all my actions?"
      April 4 - Daily Feast
      Melancholy is a stray cat you once let in - now you have to fight to get
      it out. It is not impossible but very unpleasant. Never look at that
      dark grieving attitude as a permanent fixture. See it as an outside
      force trying to control you. You would never let the cat take over your
      home - so don't let sadness monopolize your mind and spirit. Keep
      telling it to be gone. Say it again and again. Speaking the word is a
      powerful ally - and you've been doing it with dark words.
      ~ Fling all these things (destructive) away and live as your wise
      forefathers lived before you. ~
      PONTIAC - OTTAWA,  1763
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 4
      "You can pray for whatever you want, but it is always best to pray for
      others, not for yourself."
      --John Fire Lame Deer, LAKOTA
      When you are selfish and you pray, you are requesting things to flow
      only to you. When you are selfless, you are praying for things to flow
      to others. The old ones say this is the highest form of prayer. Praying
      this way is according to the Natural Laws.

      Great Spirit,
      today, let my
      thoughts be
      about others.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2002
        Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
        "THINK on THESE THINGS"
        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        When you hear geese honking their way southward in the quiet of the
        night, when you hear church bells ringing through the crystal clear
        autumn air, then you've heard the sounds of Thanksgiving.
        Perhaps memories of Thanksgiving are not the same for all of us. We all
        carry our own memories within our hearts, and some live only for past
        Thanksgivings when a family was more complete. And so this day serves
        only to remind them of happier times. Those times should be remembered
        in all their glory and yet, there is the now. It is important too.
        Perhaps in some ways it is more important, for the challenge to quit
        thinking of ourselves and to consider how sorely needed is every last
        person. How memorable we could make this day for someone who hasn't even
        a happy memory. How strong we can be, not for ourselves, but for that
        memory and for those who do not have the strength.
        Some young child or some young adult may be looking for a pattern to go
        by, some reason to be truly thankful, and here is the opportunity.
        Some of our most delightful hours are spent in conversation with those
        people sometimes known as senior citizens, our elders, and lovingly,
        grandmother or grandfather. But whatever their titles they still have a
        wealth of wisdom and experience to share with us.
        Whether we accept the experiences of our elders to profit by, or if we
        choose to ignore them, will determine a great deal how alert and aware
        we are of life. For this is life, this experience, this knowledge.
        And within these lives we find so many things small though they may be,
        that have a great part to play in our success or failure as human beings
        and parents. For they have learned what still remains sacred in man's
        heart, though years may pass and times may change.
        To most the unhappy times are forgotten. And left to live are the
        beautiful beloved things that work as well today as yesterday. Things
        like cheerfulness, and refusal to take unpleasantness as final; a warm
        and friendly kitchen where guests had rather be, and a Bible well read;
        a shining faith and a belief that the impossible only takes a little
        longer; and, a good broad shoulder to catch our tears - and love, which
        after all was the beginning of all of this.
        August 23 - Daily Feast
        Too many of our efforts are like scrambled eggs all thrown in together,
        whipped and beaten and without much substance. What we do overlaps too
        much - sleep lets worry in, eating is not prepared but brought in with
        its ingredients totally beyond our knowledge. Walking has become a
        contest, a thing of speed and clever costumes. Talking is chatter and
        boastful - and prayer is too often listening to someone else who "knows
        how". Whatever we choose to do should be done with all our hearts. Not
        done so we can feel important by running here, running there - but done
        in love for the sake of love, and not for competition. Who we are, what
        we are, where we are going and when we get there has to do with the mind
        and spirit more than what the Cherokee calls nu s di da nv  - how
        people see us.
        ~ You can count your money....but only the Great SPirit can count the
        grains of sand and the blades of grass. ~
        BLACKFEET
        'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - August 23
        "They also learned, and perhaps this was the most important thing, how
        to look at things  through the eyes of the Higher Powers."
        --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
        Our eyes can only see our beliefs. Our beliefs cause us to make
        assumptions, draw conclusions and cause confusion. Our five senses are
        very limiting. The Creator has a way of allowing us to see or know in
        the spiritual world. This is called the Sixth Sense. The Sixth  Sense
        is like a radar system; our personal radar system. It will help us "see"
        opportunities and help us avoid disaster. This Sixth Sense is controlled
        by God. We must learn to listen to it. We must learn to trust it. We
        must learn to act on it even if our head says differently. We must learn
        to look at things through the eyes of God.

        My Creator,
        guide me
        today. If my
        eyes cause