Daily Meditation~~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 5, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      A new galaxy of shining promises made to oneself are resolutions made
      with the utmost faith that self is listening and will carry out the
      plans.
      But self is an unpredictable as a child playing in the street: it may
      dart in any direction, according to the mood and to whatever catches its
      attention. At the first sign of a challenge, self may race back and lean
      hard upon the old ways of doing things, no matter how wrong it may be.
      Resolutions do very little to change a way of living. They are easily
      made and easily forgotten. There may be a sincere desire to keep a
      resolution, but of self has not changed inwardly, little can depend on
      the outward change.
      It is said that we promise according to our hopes and perform according
      to our selfishness. Failure to keep our promises to others is a
      disappointment, but failure within oneself is disaster.
      A little performance is worth a host of promises on any day that starts
      a new year.
      March 4 - Daily Feast
      An amusing story is told about Tecumseh to show how kindly tolerant he
      was. one evening on entering the home of a white man with whom he was
      friends, he saw a gigantic stranger there who was badly frightened at
      the sight of Tecumseh. The man for all his size took cover behind others
      in the room. Tecumseh stood a moment sternly watching the great fellow,
      and then he went up and patted the cowering giant and said good
      naturedly, "Big Baby; big baby!"
      ~ The Great spirit told me to tell the Indians that he had made them,
      and made the world - and he had placed them on it to good and not evil.
      ~
      TENSKWATAWA - 1808
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 4
      "My father told me.that Hopi earth does contain my roots and I am,
      indeed, from that land. Because my roots are there, I will find them."
        --Wendy Rose, HOPI/MIWOK
      Everything that comes from the earth will return to the earth. We should
      be able to realize the connectedness to the earth. We should be able to
      feel toward Her just like She is our real Mother. We can easily feel
      this connectedness if we can answer these three questions: why am I?,
      who am I?, and where am I going? If we cannot answer these questions,
      then perhaps we need to talk to the Elders. go to the Elders and ask,
      "Grandfather, why am I?; Grandmother, who am I?; Oh Great One, where am
      I supposed to go?" The Elders will help us with these three questions.
      Grandfather,
      help me to stay
      centered today.
      ------------------------
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 13, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sun, Jul 13, 2003, 11:02am To:
        [openfires] July 13 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        openfires@yahoogroups.com
        What is it that keeps us from doing the creative things we want to do?
        Fear of venturing and losing, fear of the unknown? And yet, every day of
        our lives we venture and seldom acknowledge the fact that we didn't
        lose. We too often accomplish something because circumstances forced a
        courage we could not muster from mere desire.
        Frequently we must simply have the audacity to lay aside the taboos we
        have built for ourselves, for fear of appearing foolish, and follow a
        creative curiosity.
        When Robert Louis Stevenson wrote, "Give me a young man with brains
        enough to make a fool of himself," he didn't mean intentionally acting
        foolishly. He meant that a fearlessness of appearing foolish can enable
        us to step outside the realms of what others would call the limits.
        The simplest ventures often bring joy to many, particularly to those who
        in the beginning dared to stand on their own chances of winning or
        losing.
        Summer heat has brought a lull to the meadows. Tiny titmice and bright
        yellow warblers stay close to watering places, and only the locust sings
        on in its raspy tones. It sings to remind us that it is summer and time
        to slow our pace. Hay meadows are dotted with bales, and wheat and beans
        are ready for harvest. Evening is alive with the songs of meadowlarks
        and killdeer, and the mockingbird is the comic that sings in all the
        other bird's voices. It would be impossible to live among the things of
        nature and not pace oneself to them. It is the nature of the Cherokee to
        go to a flowing stream with any problem he may have. And he comes away
        with the best harvest of all, a quiet eye and the peaceful harmony of
        summer.
        ~ I have a good heart, and I want no mistake made this time, to live
        with a good heart and talk truth. ~
        CAPTAIN JACK
        "Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and lean to
        hear my feeble voice. You lived first, and You are older than all need,
        older than all prayer...You are the life of all things."
        --Black Elk, OGLALA SIOUX
        Great Spirit - Sometimes I don't feel like praying. Sometimes when I
        have done something wrong, I'm ashamed to come to You. Even though You
        have always been there for me, I sometimes choose to stay away. It's
        hard for me to understand what all knowing is. Sometimes it's hard for
        me to see how much You really care. But I know if I take a few minutes
        and think about what I know to be true about You, the things change and
        I am able to realize Your power and Your love. Today, I'll start by
        thinking of You. I'll think about all the times You have helped and
        guided me in the past. You are life, You are love, You are power, You
        are desire, You are truth, Your are principle, You are intelligence, You
        are courage. With You I am everything; without You I am nothing.
        Creator,
        thank You
        for allowing me
        to start my day