Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Message 1 of 130 , Mar 2, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Prisoners never love their jails. And the same holds true for all kinds
      of prisoners, whether they be dogs on leashes or human beings tied to
      responsibilities. If they are there of their own free will and because
      they have a sense of belonging, the connecting link is made of love.
      Responsible people with an assignment, and the feeling that it is theirs
      alone, will do it to the best of their ability and see it though. But if
      they must be watched and directed in every step, then it is a jail and
      the first thought is how to get out.
      Freedom to be an individual with the right to make even small decisions
      is a precious possession. Freedom to come and go can build faith and
      trust within people, to make them stick closer than brothers. The rigid
      rules and constant prodding of a free spirit will force them to find
      that freedom.
      We simply cannot keep another in bondage without being in bondage
      ourselves. To hold humanity by invisible force is to keep constant
      watch. And even beneath that watchful eye there will be a continual
      search for escape.
      Anyone completely dependent upon others must always bear their
      will-o'-the-wisp attitudes and the rising and lowering of the emotional
      tides. However, it is presumptuous of anyone to believe they can
      possibly be independent of others. Without other people, we cannot
      exist.
      But to believe we are doing our best for anyone except ourselves is to
      build on sand. Of course others inspire us. They give us reasons to be
      better. They give us the benefit of their experience, but we seldom
      learn from that. We demand experience of our own. So consequently, we
      err and make it right. We mar and erase. And sometimes we try and fail,
      but always it is up to us to decide whether we do better or worse.
      We can despair easily if allowed to become completely and utterly
      dependent upon others. They are human and they make mistakes. But we
      must know some measure of forgiveness the same as we must know some
      independence, if only in the spirit. And if the spirit is free, then all
      else shall be too.
      March 2 - Daily Feast
      Certain people affect us like a tight shoe that rubs in all the wrong
      places. We try to ignore it until we can get to a private place where we
      can get rid of it. But while we are wearing it the pain goes on and
      becomes nearly impossible to bear. So much pecks away at us like
      dripping water until we cannot ignore it. In retrospect we are the
      foolishness of not handling the problem more quickly - but we were
      taught to ha tse s da, grin and bear it. Be nice. Be kind. But the shoe
      pinches and rubs and our patience grows short. How much wiser to quietly
      step out of the shoes and never go back.
      ~ I kept out of all the fights and troubles. ~
      LITTLE RAVEN - ARAPAHO,  1800's
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 2
      "The voice and the heart are not working together."
      --Barney Bush, SHAWNEE
      We can say any words we want with our voice but we cannot hide the true
      meaning and the true spirit behind the words. The true meaning is always
      understood. The voice is heard in the physical world, but the meaning is
      transmitted in the spiritual world. if our voice says one thing but the
      heart is saying something else, it's the something else that is heard.
      It is said that the truth will set you free. Reaching the truth means
      your voice and  your words will be in alignment with the heart.

      Great Spirit,
      let my tongue,
      speak the truth
      today.
      Message 130 of 130 , Jul 23, 2003
        From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2003, 9:08am To:
        [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] July 23 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
        How weak-willed we are at times when we've made a decision and know we
        must stand on it. It is so much easier to give in to the easy way of
        doing things.
        We are almost a "house divided against itself," and the strain of
        staying with a decision seems almost our enemy. But we never gain much
        stature by giving in to ourselves against our better judgement. And we
        never get anywhere by scattering our efforts.
        Making a decision is difficult enough without losing one's determination
        in following through. Laying down the responsibility is someone like
        warning children to behave themselves and then permitting them to
        continue to misbehave.
        How long has it been since you've proven to yourself that you mean
        business in carrying out a plan?
        A man of wisdom has written that we have firmness of character when we
        have the ability to say "no" to the wrong as well as to those things
        which are good but stand in the way of our progress.
        Always remember that to want something that is good and right is the
        blessing. God gave us that ability to desire or we would never have
        thought of using it. But God also gave us the ability to cry, to feel
        pain, and the freedom to choose whether we go on or quit.
        In our lives we face many decisions. Some are hard to make because we
        know we must turn our backs upon something that seems harmless at the
        moment simply because we know it would not be good in the long run.
        But there are also decisions that are more challenge than decision. They
        are the good things that are placed before us, and our will to follow
        through is tested. When defeat seems sure, then is the time to begin to
        fight. When others are quitting, then is the time to throw more strength
        into the battle. Anything worth having is worth working for, and is of
        lasting value.
        Very often these sieges must be made silently and without seeming
        effort. And yet we know we cannot get something for nothing. We have a
        service to perform. We can make it a drudge, or we can make it a
        delightful experience, according to our faith. Be persistent. Unless you
        do not particularly want your dreams to come true, you can't afford to
        know the meaning of apathy. You must continually be on the scene with
        the muscles of your mind toned.
        It isn't difficult to have a dream. But it often ceases at that point.
        The willingness to follow through, the determination to look
        impossibilities in the eye and trudge on must be practiced before that
        dream can amount to anything.
        All along life's road there are those who would discourage you, every
        often in ignorance, not realizing the effect of their words upon you. It
        is then that you must muster the strength to believe that theirs is only
        an opinion while your plans are based on the principle that all good
        things come to those who hustle while they wait.
        It is too bad that they cannot see your invisible companions,
        persistence, faith, and a worthwhile plan. Smile and walk on.
        There is a Divine Being with whom we can place all our obstacles, all
        our doubts and fears - and then our work begins. We give lovingly of
        friendship, of any kind of help that we are capable of giving, of
        positive words and thoughts and understanding.
        Give without thought of return. For while we are giving with loving
        selflessness, life shapes for us our heart's desire.
        Much is lost through misunderstanding - and often because we want
        someone to know we are angry. We choose to think they intentionally
        displease us, though we know nothing of their circumstance of what their
        thoughts really were. It must be an ego-building thing to believe that
        someone is trying to offend us. Somehow it gives an importance where
        there had been none. We have the uncanny knack of building a sad story
        with such realism that it makes us think we are more important than we
        are. It is not enjoyable to be the kind of person who wants to
        misunderstand - not only other people, but also life itself. It is
        painful to be unhappy and disagreeable, but some cannot resist the
        temptation.
        ~ It has come to me through the bushes that you are not united
        (agreeable); come to me when you are united. ~
        BIG BEAR
        "...the greatest strength is in gentleness."
        --Leon Shenandoah, ONONDAGA
        Our Elders have taught us many lessons about becoming a Warrior and how
        to think and act like one. We have been told about the power of
        gentleness. We have been told about the power of the stillness. Physical
        power is about effort. Mental power is the opposite. It's about being
        effortless or less any effort. Gentleness is one of the greatest
        attributes of the Warrior and one of the greatest mental powers. It
        takes a lot of love to be gentle. Gentleness is not an ego word.
        Gentleness is the weapon of the Great Spirit.
        My Creator,
        today I will be gentle
        with myself
        and with others.