Daily Meditaion~~~~~>

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 10:36 PM
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      How much voice do we really have in our own affairs? How free are we to
      speak out on the things we know and believe and want to say? How much
      voice do we have in public affairs?
      How much goes unsaid because it may be bad for business, or it might
      make us look foolish? How often we should speak up but think it is none
      of our business. How quiet we are when someone's unethical hand does
      wrong.
      What is it that inhibits us? Our own fears. Fear of our own ignorance,
      fear of losing, fear of the bugaboos we know lurk somewhere, but just
      aren't sure where.
      Who are the people who are free of fears? They are the individuals who
      govern themselves in such a manner as to have thought out their own
      ideas enough to be able to speak freely for themselves.
      Ethics would seem to be something to ignore if you wish to be successful
      in business. Many people strive harder today than at any other time to
      divide their lives so that being seen in church is good taste, and being
      unethical in business proves they are shrewd. Being successful isn't
      nearly as important as proving that they've gotten that way by the
      clever undoing of their opposition.
      There was a time when building a better mouse trap by the most efficient
      methods gave us satisfaction, but too often these days we are impressed
      because someone is smart. Not smart with intelligence, but smart with
      the cunning that goes along with the jungle code of getting before
      someone gets you.
      The person who tries to get ahead by ethical methods, and by wanting
      only to provide something better than is already in existence, must also
      be equipped to withstand ridicule.
      Frankly, the race of the tortoise and the hare is still on, and while
      the hare is tearing around showing off its ability to be a fast runner,
      the tortoise is making progress, and never losing its way.
      Socrates, being asked the way to honest fame, said, "Study to be what
      you wish to seem." Success takes time and moral discipline, but our
      successes will be as human beings first, and then the crown of success
      in business will sit easily and firmly.
      THREE
      Tsa'l
      WINDY MONTH
      (Unu'la hee)
      We throw ourselves under the protection of the Great Spirit above.... we
      wish for peace and whenever we hear that pleasant sounds, we will pay
      attention to it.
      JOSEPH BRANT - A BRILLIANT MOHAWK LEADER
      March 1 - Daily Feast, Volume II
      When we stop to think, we realize that at one time our main teaching was
      to be honorable and just and compassionate. And now, most of our
      entertainment is watching someone brings down someone with a degree of
      innocence. We are free to hiss and boo what we see and hear, but how
      many admire such a gift of treachery? What would it be like to
      manipulate and generally ruin other people's lives for pure
      entertainment? Who can we really trust or rely on? We can begin with
      ourselves. By weeding out past experiences and by forgiving ourselves,
      we can be someone that can be trusted. It is a beginning - and a
      responsibility.
      ~ My children, you have forgotten the customs and traditions of your
      forefathers. ~
      PONTIAC - ODAWA,  1763
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - March 1
      "The beginning is purification, that's the first step..And purification
      means purification of body and mind. You don't purify the body without
      cleansing the mind; that's the way it works."
      --Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE
      If we have bad thoughts or poison in our minds, they will eventually
      show up in our bodies in the form of headaches, pains, and stomach
      problems. It works this way because we are interconnected. Our minds and
      our bodies are one system. So when we start to grow, or commit to the
      Red Road, we need to start cleaning up our thoughts and start showing
      respect for our bodies. We start purifying our minds by prayer and
      meditation, and we start cleansing our bodies by getting the right
      amount of sleep and developing good eating habits. Today, I'm going to
      observe my thoughts. Will my thoughts be clean today?

      Great Spirit,
      let me focus on
      Your love
      today so my
      mind will be
      pure.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
        THINK on THESE THINGS
        by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        All things in sequence, first the bud and then the flower. We can no
        more hold back the blossom than we can the daylight. It is inevitably
        there, beautifully delicate and subject to crushing. Only through very
        careful tending will it withstand the winds and rain and pressures of
        the outside.
        Sequence is the order of human life. God intended us to unfold as the
        flower; first the seed in the fertile soil, the birth, the growth, the
        learning, the discoveries, the knowledge, the desires, the fulfillment
        as each phase of life follows its own sequence. We hold back the
        flowering of life only if we want it to be nonexistent, for it must
        progress. And in some of the most tender spots progression must be slow,
        easy, and reverently handled, for it can be as fragile as the flower.
        There is within us a delicacy of thought which entwines itself
        throughout our beings, crossing from phase to phase, creating within us
        conflicts not easily understood. Something out of sequence in one phase
        may postpone the flowering of another phase. The very roots of our souls
        must be watered with reverence to successfully follow the sequence of
        life. If no other human understands or cares to understand, if we do,
        then continue - first the bud and then the flower.
        Of all the intricate and complicated creations in the world, humanity
        occupies the first place. Our lives are made up of such flexuous
        combination of body, soul, and spirit that we do not even understand
        ourselves.
        We all desire to know what makes us tick and how to go about making
        ourselves tick better. Whether we realize it or not, we are in search of
        the truth of our own being. Why are we here? What step should we take
        next? One problem after another, question after question brings us to
        this place again and again.
        They are our personal problems and the wisest of persons cannot give us
        the answers. We will always need help to encourage us in our search, but
        we must go within ourselves to cure, to live, to feel, to believe.
        We must win our own hearts before we can find happiness with others. We
        must know what we want and be willing to share it with others, for it is
        written that life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of
        little things, in which smiles and kindness win and preserve the heart.
        English divine John Mason wrote these words, "By these things examine
        thyself: By whose rules am I acting in: in whose names; in whose
        strength; in whose glory? What faith, humility, self-denial and love of
        God and to man have there been in all my actions?"
        April 4 - Daily Feast
        Melancholy is a stray cat you once let in - now you have to fight to get
        it out. It is not impossible but very unpleasant. Never look at that
        dark grieving attitude as a permanent fixture. See it as an outside
        force trying to control you. You would never let the cat take over your
        home - so don't let sadness monopolize your mind and spirit. Keep
        telling it to be gone. Say it again and again. Speaking the word is a
        powerful ally - and you've been doing it with dark words.
        ~ Fling all these things (destructive) away and live as your wise
        forefathers lived before you. ~
        PONTIAC - OTTAWA,  1763
        "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
        Elder's Meditation of the Day - April 4
        "You can pray for whatever you want, but it is always best to pray for
        others, not for yourself."
        --John Fire Lame Deer, LAKOTA
        When you are selfish and you pray, you are requesting things to flow
        only to you. When you are selfless, you are praying for things to flow
        to others. The old ones say this is the highest form of prayer. Praying
        this way is according to the Natural Laws.

        Great Spirit,
        today, let my
        thoughts be
        about others.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2002
          Now available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
          "THINK on THESE THINGS"
          by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          When you hear geese honking their way southward in the quiet of the
          night, when you hear church bells ringing through the crystal clear
          autumn air, then you've heard the sounds of Thanksgiving.
          Perhaps memories of Thanksgiving are not the same for all of us. We all
          carry our own memories within our hearts, and some live only for past
          Thanksgivings when a family was more complete. And so this day serves
          only to remind them of happier times. Those times should be remembered
          in all their glory and yet, there is the now. It is important too.
          Perhaps in some ways it is more important, for the challenge to quit
          thinking of ourselves and to consider how sorely needed is every last
          person. How memorable we could make this day for someone who hasn't even
          a happy memory. How strong we can be, not for ourselves, but for that
          memory and for those who do not have the strength.
          Some young child or some young adult may be looking for a pattern to go
          by, some reason to be truly thankful, and here is the opportunity.
          Some of our most delightful hours are spent in conversation with those
          people sometimes known as senior citizens, our elders, and lovingly,
          grandmother or grandfather. But whatever their titles they still have a
          wealth of wisdom and experience to share with us.
          Whether we accept the experiences of our elders to profit by, or if we
          choose to ignore them, will determine a great deal how alert and aware
          we are of life. For this is life, this experience, this knowledge.
          And within these lives we find so many things small though they may be,
          that have a great part to play in our success or failure as human beings
          and parents. For they have learned what still remains sacred in man's
          heart, though years may pass and times may change.
          To most the unhappy times are forgotten. And left to live are the
          beautiful beloved things that work as well today as yesterday. Things
          like cheerfulness, and refusal to take unpleasantness as final; a warm
          and friendly kitchen where guests had rather be, and a Bible well read;
          a shining faith and a belief that the impossible only takes a little
          longer; and, a good broad shoulder to catch our tears - and love, which
          after all was the beginning of all of this.
          August 23 - Daily Feast
          Too many of our efforts are like scrambled eggs all thrown in together,
          whipped and beaten and without much substance. What we do overlaps too
          much - sleep lets worry in, eating is not prepared but brought in with
          its ingredients totally beyond our knowledge. Walking has become a
          contest, a thing of speed and clever costumes. Talking is chatter and
          boastful - and prayer is too often listening to someone else who "knows
          how". Whatever we choose to do should be done with all our hearts. Not
          done so we can feel important by running here, running there - but done
          in love for the sake of love, and not for competition. Who we are, what
          we are, where we are going and when we get there has to do with the mind
          and spirit more than what the Cherokee calls nu s di da nv  - how
          people see us.
          ~ You can count your money....but only the Great SPirit can count the
          grains of sand and the blades of grass. ~
          BLACKFEET
          'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
          Elder's Meditation of the Day - August 23
          "They also learned, and perhaps this was the most important thing, how
          to look at things  through the eyes of the Higher Powers."
          --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
          Our eyes can only see our beliefs. Our beliefs cause us to make
          assumptions, draw conclusions and cause confusion. Our five senses are
          very limiting. The Creator has a way of allowing us to see or know in
          the spiritual world. This is called the Sixth Sense. The Sixth  Sense
          is like a radar system; our personal radar system. It will help us "see"
          opportunities and help us avoid disaster. This Sixth Sense is controlled
          by God. We must learn to listen to it. We must learn to trust it. We
          must learn to act on it even if our head says differently. We must learn
          to look at things through the eyes of God.

          My Creator,
          guide me
          today. If my
          eyes cause