698Daily Meditations~~~~~>

    Dec 17, 2001
      December 17 - Daily Feast
      One of our basic needs is to be accepted. We fear rejection and somehow
      get the idea that we are worth only what someone else says we are worth.
      We can't allow their experiences to put limits on who we are. Looking
      for approval is a vicious circle. An outsider can be suspect - simply
      because he is an outsider. And every person has to realize that
      self-respect and self-acceptance precede what others may think.
      Confidence is knowing who we are, heart, mind, and spirit, and never
      allowing that confidence to cause us to put someone aside because he
      lacks standing. The Cherokee believes we should not a da de hu to di -
      insult the Great Spirit by criticizing one of His creation.
      ~ Many times  we have been laughed at for our native way of dressing,
      but could anything we ever wore compare to the utter foolishness of the
      steel-ribbed corset? ~
      STANDING BEAR
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 17
      "Hear me! A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."
      --Tecumseh, SHAWNEE
      You can take one arrow and break it in half. But if you take 12 arrows
      in a bundle, it's  almost impossible to break any of them. There is
      strength in Unity. When we are  together we are very powerful. This is
      the way the ancestors told us we need to be.  Strong. We need to unite
      ourselves. This is why the Elders say, when we make decisions, we must
      first consider the good of the people. If every person in the
      community thinks this way, then we will always make strong decisions.

      Creator, let my
      decisions have
      the strength of
      the bundle.