2607Daily Meditation~~~~>

    Jun 20, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Fri, Jun 20, 2003, 9:28am To:
      [Tradition_OF_The_Redroad] June 20 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      At those times when we have planned for something and have our hearts
      set on our affairs going in a certain direction but they fail to
      materialize, we are disappointed. If we have any faith at all, we must
      remember that one door never closes but another opens. That which once
      seemed the right thing to plan for may not hold all the things that
      would be for our good in the long run. It may have been right in the
      beginning, but as time passes and other events come into being, a change
      may be necessary for the benefit of the over-all picture.
      Sometimes we fix our attention so rigidly on one thing, one part of
      life, one person, that a change throws us into a state of extreme
      disappointment. But disappointment, like all of the emotions, can serve
      to strengthen rather than take away. The attitude with which we face
      life can determine its outcome.
      We can look with woeful eyes on the negative mental attitude and wallow
      in self-pity, or we can flip the mind to the upper side and let the
      positive mental attitude bring to us the strength and peace we need.
      Disappointment is something no one has escaped. The many plans we make
      sometimes fade like mist in the sunlight. A cherished dream may take
      another shape and to lose that vision can throw a dim view on all of
      life. Because one tiny part could not be fulfilled, we are so tempted to
      let all of the rest go with it.
      But if only we could wait a bit. So often we then come to realize the
      reason for our change in plans.
      Sometimes disappointment is the very thing that keeps us mounting the
      steps upward, keeps us stretching our minds to understand. And it may
      test our spirits. For if disappointment can make a spirit bitter, the
      joy of accomplishment would have soon soured.
      There is no joy in a disappointment, but it may be the thing to save us
      from a life of mediocrity.
      English novelist Edward George Bulwer-Lytton wrote, "Man must be
      disappointed with the lesser things in life before he can accomplish the
      full value of the greater."
      June 20 - Daily Feast
      Everything is fresh and new on a June morning. Someone performed a
      miracle while we slept. The air was cleaned to crystal clarity, the
      rising sun glistens on every leaf and blade of grass. The hills are new
      green from spring rains and the horses that graze there are sleek and
      shiny. Such rewards, such a sa s dv, are for the early riser, the one
      who greets the day with thanksgiving and praise. Regardless of how many
      tag-alongs from yesterday threaten, they cannot break the spell of the
      beauty at hand. Another opportunity, another splendid day that is so
      oblivious to the schemes of man. To go with it, to rise with the morning
      mist, is to know the freedom and restoration in the soul of the American
      ~ To the Indian, words that are true sink deep into his heart where they
      remain; he never forgets them. ~
      Elder's Meditation of the Day June 20
      "But in the Indian Spirit the land is still vested; it will be until
      other men are able to divine and meet its rhythm. Men must be born and
      reborn to belong. Their bodies must be formed of the dust of their
      forefathers' bones."
      --Luther Standing Bear, OGLALA SIOUX
      It is said when we walk on the Earth, we are walking on our ancestors
      and our unborn children. This is the relationship Native People have
      with the Earth. It is this relationship which gives insight into the
      Earth's rhythm and heartbeat and creates the feeling of belonging. If
      you feel you belong to something, you'll treat it with respect. If you
      feel you are above something, you'll treat it with disrespect. Indian
      Spirituality is tied to the Earth. We belong to the Earth along with all
      other creatures on the Earth. We must align to this realization.
      Great Spirit,
      teach me
      to respect
      the Earth Mother.