2577Daily Meditation~~~~>

    May 31, 2003
      From: gringa@... (Donna) Date: Sat, May 31, 2003, 10:11am To:
      [openfires] May 31 - Daily Meditations Reply to:
      openfires@yahoogroups.com
      Human dignity is that silent something in us that keeps us from falling
      below the level where others look down on us to make light of our very
      existence. None of us exists who cannot sense to some degree the feeling
      that others hold for us. It may create in us a "show them" attitude that
      takes us through life more successfully, but it will more likely destroy
      our desire to be anything more than what is expected of us.
      It is an appalling thing to see other impose their superiority upon the
      human dignity of those whose literacy may not be equal to their own.
      Only profound ignorance could convince anyone they have the right to see
      and idly judge another's intelligence, or to insult the dignity of any
      human being.
      The little silent people who have not yet discovered within themselves
      the abilities they need to lift themselves, still have the right and
      dignity of being human. A small amount of respect and direction might
      start them on the road to better things, though it might be all uphill.
      At least if they know it is all uphill they may work harder and reach a
      place where they can look back at those with lofty ideas about
      themselves, standing forever stagnant, and feel more compassion than
      they could ever have felt.
      May 31 - Daily Feast
      In this age of defending and demanding rights, we are often faced with
      the question of who holds us back more than anyone else....and in all
      honesty we must admit we are the ones. We narrow our vision and develop
      helpless and hopeless attitudes to defeat us. And yet, we are the ones
      who speed us on as well. Our good attitudes keep us moving and active
      and able to do everything without reacting to the smallest incident as a
      barrier in our way. We are willing to work, to initiate and set in
      motion the good of life, and do it by not stepping on others. We keep a
      constant vigil over our lo qui si, star, and reach up that we may lift
      others up with us.
      ~ Misfortunes do not flourish particularly in our path. They grow
      everywhere. ~
      BIG ELK
      Elder's Meditation of the Day May 31
      "Sell a country? Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the
      earth? Did not the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his
      children?"
      --Tecumseh, SHAWNEE
      The White Man's way is to possess, control and divide. It has always
      been difficult for Indian people to understand this. There are certain
      things we cannot own that must be shared. The Land is one of these
      things. We need to re-look as what we are doing to the Earth. We are
      digging in her veins and foolishly diminishing the natural resources. We
      are not living in balance. We do not own the Earth; the Earth owns us.
      Today, let us ponder the true relationship between the Earth and
      ourselves.
      Great Spirit,
      today,
      let me see