2088Daily Meditations~~~~~>

    Sep 17, 2002
      Available online! "Cherokee Feast of Days Volume III"
      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Irritation, they say, is something gentle folk should never know. Always
      passive, they go along the way smiling, no matter what the cost to
      feelings. But have you ever tried to smile when all the street lights
      are red and someone honked loudly when you failed to move quickly
      enough.
      Have you heard a politician slur the name of your candidate....and had a
      promise broken without so much as a faint explanation. Or perhaps the
      long explanations on how to do something you've done for years....and
      suddenly you want to make two lists of people you like and people you
      don't like!
      And maybe you've answered the telephone and heard them hang up simply
      because your voice was not the right voice.....Or had them stand back
      empty handed while you with your packages opened the door for them?
      Well, it's no easy matter to be gentle folk and the mildest can get
      angry all over again by just thinking of an injustice. Perhaps it is
      trifling to let such little things irritate. But the best of us feel the
      small things that we never quite get over. We forgive and forget except
      to think about it occasionally, and then we must consider the words of
      Seneca, "Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than
      the injury that provokes it."
      We live in a continual round of adjustments. It is usually an admirable
      thing to be able to make adjustments easily. Not many can. And, yet, it
      makes us wonder at times if those who can so freely change and move
      without emotions have ever felt very deeply.
      We tend to cling to familiar things and familiar customs. There is such
      great security in traveling a way we know by heart. The roughest road
      can usually be traveled without incident when we know every turn and
      bump.
      It has been said by those who do scientific research that it takes at
      least three weeks to adjust to changes. But three months would do it
      more justice. And it must be done by abandonment, by setting aside for a
      period of time all things like the old way. Many times it is done not
      for ourselves alone, for it is foolish to believe a change involves only
      ourselves.
      In our very complex way of life there is no situation to affect only one
      person. And often the most wonderful thing we can do for someone else is
      to find our own balance by making adjustments quickly, even in the
      middle of chaos.
      September 16 - Daily Feast
      Perception can be very wise but reading between the lines in other
      people's lives is only guesswork. By rationalizing and putting two and
      two together it can almost be assumed that something is a certain way,
      right? Wrong. People identify with other people because of their
      likenesses - but there is nothing new under the sun. Human nature is
      human nature and will stay that way until we all stand close enough to
      the divine. We are ever so much better served not to guess about other
      people. And we are better people when we mind our own business.
      ~ The Apache was unlike any other Indian Tribe the whites have ever
      fought....He saw no reason for fighting unless there was something
      tangible and immediate to be gained. ~
      A FRONTIER CAMPAIGN OFFICER - CIRCA 1860
      'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - September 16
      "To me, the wisdom the Elders have to manifest is in teaching people how
      to live in harmony and balance with each other and the Earth."
      --Sun Bear, CHIPPEWA
      You cannot give away what you don't have. You need to give away what you
      have in order to keep it. Our Elders have lived their lives with a lot
      of trial and error. They have experienced how to do things good and they
      have experienced what didn't work for them as they grew old. They know
      things about living that we don't know. So, through the years the Elders
      have gained wisdom. They usually have a whole different point of view
      because of all their experiences. There are two ways to learn. Someone
      tells us what they did and we do the same thing or someone tells us what
      they did and we choose not to do it. Both of these paths will help us to
      live.
      My Creator,
      teach me about
      choices and