1787Daily Meditation~~>

    Jun 26, 2002
      Permission graciously given by Joyce Sequichie Hifler.

      "THINK on THESE THINGS"
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      It has been written that an optimist is someone who can fall ten stories
      and call out to each floor in passing that everything is okay so far. It
      has also been said that an optimist is someone who refuses to see things
      as they really are.
      It is far better, the pessimist believes, to look for the worst so as to
      be pleasantly surprised when things are better than expected. Then, if
      they are as bad as imagined, the disappointment won't be quite so great.
      But this is somewhat like backing into a room so to avoid seeing the
      beauty of it, only to find it is an elevator shaft.
      There can be no advancement where we expect the worst and believe that
      going outside the limits of ordinary thinking is only day dreaming.
      Thinkers, capable of forecasting and predicting answers before the
      questions arise, are in great demand.
      Only the optimist can fill the bill. Only the optimist can dare to
      believe there are things waiting for discovery and further development.
      An optimist questions life the same as a pessimist - the difference is
      that the optimist knows there is an answer and that the answer can be
      found. Optimists are aware that the cherries of life have pits, but they
      are prepared to remove them. Their minds do not dwell on the pits, but
      on the sweetness of the cherries.
      There will be situtations that will make us afraid. Fear is a common
      sense emotion that keeps us from walking out in front of a moving car or
      from jumping off the deep end of anything. And there are periods of
      natural anxiety when we want too much to perform well, and the
      butterflies begin to flutter.
      Then, there is another kind of fear that is unnatural. It has the
      ability to possess us and rule over our very lives. It is that "what if"
      fear that builds nests in our minds and hatches dire images that scare
      the daylights out of us. It can keep the lights off, the doors bolted,
      and the windows of our souls locked against the most beautiful things in
      life.
      It is no disgrace in this day to ask for professional help in
      understanding our fears. Only the very foolish would consider this help
      a crutch. It is a brave person who admits the need for help and has the
      courage to go and find it.
      They are the pioneers in recognizing our existence as threefold; spirit,
      mind, and body.
      June 26 - Daily Feast
      Make a quality decision to put aside anything that makes you worry the
      first thing in the morning. Keep morning as putty in your hands - that
      time to pray when your mind and spirit are rested. And if they are not
      rested, it is more important than ever to insist in morning freedom.
      Lift your arms and give thanks that you are you and a new life is
      pouring into you this very moment. Bow down and be grateful for the
      freedom to do it. Keep fear out by rebuking it. Keep joy in by
      cultivating it. You are not helpless, you just forget to be blessed
      early in the morning.
      ~ Get a little further, lest I tread on thee...... ~
      QUOTED BY SPECKLED SNAKE - 100-year old CREEK,   1829
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      White Bison, Inc., an American Indian owned non-profit corporation,
      produces and distributes a variety of books including the "Elder's
      Meditations", video tapes, audio cassettes, t-shirts, mugs, kits, and
      posters. Order for yourself or a loved one here:
      http://www.whitebison.org
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 26
      "...when faithful human beings or other creatures called upon them for
      help, they [the Powers of the Four Directions] must send their
      powers..."
      --Fools Crow, LAKOTA
      Each of the four directions has special powers. These powers or
      Grandfathers are there to help us. The powers are from the East, the
      South, the West, and the North. To call upon the power we need to stand
      in the center and face each of the directions and honor all forms of
      life in each direction. Facing the East we honor all the two legged,
      four legged, winged ones, plants' nation and the animals. We repeat this
      prayer in each of the four directions. This allows us to become
      centered. When we are centered, then we are ready to call the helpers.
      It is said, when the student is ready, the teacher appears. If we are to
      be ready, we need to remember to always get quiet first. We do this by
      honoring and praying to the four directions.
      Grandfathers
      from the four
      directions,
      come to me