1616Daily Meditation~~~~>

    May 8, 2002
      THINK on THESE THINGS
      by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Irritation, they say, is something gentle folk should never know. Always
      passive, they go along the way smiling, no matter what the cost to
      feelings. But have you ever tried to smile when all the street lights
      are red and someone honked loudly when you failed to move quickly
      enough.
      Have you heard a politician slur the name of your candidate.... and had
      a promise broken without so much as a faint explanation. Or perhaps the
      long explanations on how to do something you've done for years....and
      suddenly you want to make two lists of people you like and people you
      don't like!
      And maybe you've answered the telephone and heard them hang up simply
      because your voice was not the right voice.... Or had them stand back
      empty handed while you with your packages opened the door for them?
      Well, it's no easy matter to be gentle folk and the mildest can get
      angry all over again by just thinking of an injustice. Perhaps it is
      trifling to let such little things irritate. But the best of us feel the
      small things that we never quite get over. We forgive and forget except
      to think about it occasionally, and then we must consider the words of
      Seneca, "Anger, if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful to us than
      the injury that provoked it."
      We live in a continual round of adjustments. It is usually an admirable
      thing to be able to make adjustments easily. Not many can. And, yet, it
      makes us wonder at times if those who can so freely change and move
      without emotions have ever felt very deeply.
      We tend to cling to familiar things and familiar customs. There is a
      great security in traveling a way we know by heart. The roughest road
      can usually be traveled without incident when we know ever turn and
      bump.
      It has been said by those who do scientific research that it takes at
      least three weeks to adjust to changes. But three months would do it
      more justice. And it must be done by abandonment, by setting aside for a
      period of time all things like the old way. Many times it is done not
      for ourselves alone, for it is foolish to believe a change involves only
      ourselves.
      In our very complex way of life there is no situation to afflict only
      one person. And often the most wonderful thing we can do for someone
      else is to find our own balance by making adjustments uickly, even in
      the middle of chaos.
      May 8 - Daily Feast
      Always look behind the stick that stirs. You will find the promoter, the
      wild card, the puff of wind, but you will find the mother who was the
      guiding light. This mother is not a figurehead and not someone who
      exploits her children to be years older than their emotional makeup. She
      does not threaten nor does she have to consider it. Her children respect
      her standars and make them their own. She is not always a beautiful
      woman - but a lovely one whose life is not a fad or a trendy excursion,
      but a journey that is memorable to many.
      ~ The ground on which we stand is sacred ground. It is the dust and
      blood of our ancestors. ~
      PLENTY-COUPS - CROW CHIEF, 1909
      "A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II" by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
      Elder's Meditation of the Day - May 8
      "Anyways, with medicine there's a time and a place for everything. It
      only comes around once. You have to get it at the right time."
      ---- Cecilia Mitchell, MOHAWK
      The old ones say two things must be present for a miracle to take place.
      One, the right time. Two, the right place. This is why we need to honor
      our ceremonies. Ceremonies are done in an order. This order is applied
      to open a "door" to the right time and place of the medicine. This door
      opens to the Spiritual World. The Spiritual World is available to us at
      the right time and the right place.
      My Creator,
      let me be
      patient today