21024Mysterious blast creates panic in Gujarat

  • AngelOfThyNight@aol.com
    Sep 22, 2003
      Mysterious blast creates panic in Gujarat

      TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2003 11:57:19 AM ]

      AHMEDABAD: Panic gripped several areas in Ahmedabad other parts of the state on Monday morning as a mysterious blast was heard around 10.20 am.

      Window panes and doors rattled while in certain areas multi-storeyed apartments shuddered and people thronged to the streets in panic.

      Rumours of Mumbai-like bomb blasts went around in Ahmedabad, a city already on its edge because upcoming Navratris beginning on Thursday. Frantic calls to hospitals and the police control room yielded no explanation about the cause and the location of the blast.

      There were however speculations that the blasts may have been triggered off by tectonic movements, on the lines of similar blasts which were heard in some parts of Jamnagar in western Gujarat last month.

      The director of the meteorological centre in Ahmedabad said, "We are trying to get in touch with our Delhi office on this".

      Ahmedabad Fire Brigade officials rushed to different spots of the city where the blasts had been reported. In Vejalpur, Navrangpura, Shahpur, Maninagar and Meghaninagar areas of Ahmedabad as well as in state capital Gandhinagar, the police paid visits to check the callers' claims that they had heard the blast nearby.

      Piyush Dave, a resident of Maninagar said: "My house was shaken up so severely that I rushed out of my house. Along with me were all the other residents of our multi-storeyed apartment."

      Additional commissioner of police (sector II) Keshav Kumar said: "There is no apparent cause for the blasts. All spots have been individually visited by us."

      Joint commissioner of police (Sector I) P C Thakur quipped: "This does not look to be manmade. However we are prepared for any eventuality."

      Medical health officer of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation P K Makwana, whose car rattled while on way to work said: "There have been no reports of casualities in any municipal hospital. We were taken by surprise by the blasts."

      A report from New Delhi quoting the director of Indian Meterological Department, A K Shukla said that no earthquake has been recorded from Gujarat region following reports of the blasts.

      "No significant earthquake activity has taken place in the region. We are constantly monitoring the situation and are gathering data to verify if it was a small quake," Shukla said. He said preliminary reports of the 'blast' appear to be similar to the kind of underground activity that occured in Jamnagar recently.

      Ahmedabad district collector Anita Karwal said the blast had been heard in the entire city and outskirts of Gandhinagar but there have been reports of any damange.