Re: [PanoToolsNG] Using mixed FOV with 10-17mm lens in panorama

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      > According to Bernhard it has to do with the sensor which was mentioned in
      > this thread:
      > http://tinyurl.com/2eso2s
      > [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content with the
      > typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in various
      > situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
      > quality."[endquote]

      The basic idea should be more understandable if you look how a bayer
      sensor actually works: Actual per-pixel color values are derived by
      interpolation of a 2x2 field.
      If you reduce resolution, you can approximate to a per-pixel color
      accuracy comparable to what a Foveon sensor can deliver. See the
      following test for image quality comparison of both sensors:
      http://www.ddisoftware.com/reviews/sd9-v-bayer/
      The reality is somewhat more complex as the test may suggest, but it's a
      good aid for pointing out the basic principle (of resolution reduction).

      Best regards
      Bernhard