Re: Using mixed FOV with 10-17mm lens in panorama

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      > From Michel Thoby's experiment some months ago, where he shot a
      spherical
      > panorama using both the 10mm and the 17mm setting and from
      Bernhard's recent
      > remark:
      > [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content
      with the
      > typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in
      various
      > situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
      > quality."[endquote]

      Carl, do you have the links to the references your noting?

      I'm at a lost as to why reducing the resolution could in any way
      improve the quality if all other factors remain the same. Perhaps it
      removes some of the complexity or imperfections of the real world?
      Like a skin makeover in a fashion magazine?

      Regards,

      Robert
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
        Robert Harshman wrote:

        > Carl, do you have the links to the references your noting?
        >
        > I'm at a lost as to why reducing the resolution could in any way
        > improve the quality if all other factors remain the same. Perhaps it
        > removes some of the complexity or imperfections of the real world?
        > Like a skin makeover in a fashion magazine?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Robert

        According to Bernhard it has to do with the sensor which was mentioned in
        this thread:
        http://tinyurl.com/2eso2s
        [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content with the
        typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in various
        situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
        quality."[endquote]

        The link to Michel Thoby's experiment is:
        http://tinyurl.com/2h5dzb (scroll down a bit)

        Carel
      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
          > According to Bernhard it has to do with the sensor which was mentioned in
          > this thread:
          > http://tinyurl.com/2eso2s
          > [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content with the
          > typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in various
          > situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
          > quality."[endquote]

          The basic idea should be more understandable if you look how a bayer
          sensor actually works: Actual per-pixel color values are derived by
          interpolation of a 2x2 field.
          If you reduce resolution, you can approximate to a per-pixel color
          accuracy comparable to what a Foveon sensor can deliver. See the
          following test for image quality comparison of both sensors:
          http://www.ddisoftware.com/reviews/sd9-v-bayer/
          The reality is somewhat more complex as the test may suggest, but it's a
          good aid for pointing out the basic principle (of resolution reduction).

          Best regards
          Bernhard