Extracting an equirectanglar from a MOV

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
      Is there a way to extract an equirectangular image from a MOV?

      I need to be able to do this and maintain the initial view in the
      repositioned MOV (that's very different from the original
      equirectangular image). In effect I want to decompile the MOV. I don't
      want to have to go back and regenerate the equirectangular image from
      PTGui because ofttimes there is MAJOR post-production work that I don't
      want to be forced to do all over again.

      I'm on a PC if that effects your answer.

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large
    • Dorin Godja
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hello Pat,

        use extractjpeg for that, drag and drop your .mov on the exe in archive
        the use pano2qtr to produce equirectangular from cubic faces (the
        cubic faces wil be produced in the same folder with .mov)

        Dorin

        --
        Best regards,
        Dorin mailto:dorin@...

      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
          Dorin Godja wrote:
          > Hello Pat,
          >
          > use extractjpeg for that, drag and drop your .mov on the exe in archive
          > the use pano2qtr to produce equirectangular from cubic faces (the
          > cubic faces wil be produced in the same folder with .mov)

          That gives me the 6 cube faces but I need an equirectangular image
          centered in the initial view of the MOV. If I can't extract the
          equirectangular image directly how can I generate it from the 6 cube faces?

          > Dorin
          >
          > Sunday, June 3, 2007, 12:59:46 AM, you wrote:
          >
          > PS> Is there a way to extract an equirectangular image from a MOV?
          >
          > PS> I need to be able to do this and maintain the initial view in the
          > PS> repositioned MOV (that's very different from the original
          > PS> equirectangular image). In effect I want to decompile the MOV. I don't
          > PS> want to have to go back and regenerate the equirectangular image from
          > PS> PTGui because ofttimes there is MAJOR post-production work that I
          > don't
          > PS> want to be forced to do all over again.
          >
          > PS> I'm on a PC if that effects your answer.

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Rodolpho Pajuaba
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
            You can load them in Pano2QTVR and convert to equirectangular, I think
            it's the easiest and fastest.
            Regards,
            Rodolpho Pajuaba

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
              Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:
              > You can load them in Pano2QTVR and convert to equirectangular, I think
              > it's the easiest and fastest.

              It's times like this when I feel like the scarecrow in The Wizard of
              Oz. You know, that part when he says "If I only had a brain." D'oh!

              I did put them into Pano2QTVR and completely missed the Convert to
              Equirectangular button. Do you think it's too big? =8^)

              Be that as it may it did give me an equirectangular but it's all jumbled
              up. What is the correct naming order for the cube faces (it's obviously
              incorrect the way it came out of the disassembler)?

              > Regards,
              > Rodolpho Pajuaba
              >
              > Pat Swovelin wrote:
              >> Dorin Godja wrote:
              >>

              >> That gives me the 6 cube faces but I need an equirectangular image
              >> centered in the initial view of the MOV. If I can't extract the
              >> equirectangular image directly how can I generate it from the 6 cube
              >> faces?

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • Dorin Godja
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 2, 2007
                Hello Pat,

                try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5

                Dorin

                Sunday, June 3, 2007, 7:02:16 AM, you wrote:

                PS> Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:
                >> You can load them in Pano2QTVR and convert to equirectangular, I think
                >> it's the easiest and fastest.

                PS> It's times like this when I feel like the scarecrow in The Wizard of
                PS> Oz. You know, that part when he says "If I only had a brain." D'oh!

                PS> I did put them into Pano2QTVR and completely missed the Convert to
                PS> Equirectangular button. Do you think it's too big? =8^)

                PS> Be that as it may it did give me an equirectangular but it's all jumbled
                PS> up. What is the correct naming order for the cube faces (it's obviously
                PS> incorrect the way it came out of the disassembler)?

                >> Regards,
                >> Rodolpho Pajuaba
                >>
                >> Pat Swovelin wrote:
                >>> Dorin Godja wrote:
                >>>

                >>> That gives me the 6 cube faces but I need an equirectangular image
                >>> centered in the initial view of the MOV. If I can't extract the
                >>> equirectangular image directly how can I generate it from the 6 cube
                >>> faces?

                PS> Pat Swovelin
                PS> Cool Guy @ Large
              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Dorin Godja wrote:
                  > Hello Pat,
                  >
                  > try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                  > _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5

                  I figured out the correct order but the problem is that it's extracting
                  the faces of the cube that is in the MOV vs. extracting the faces of the
                  MOV after it's been repositioned. This can be easily tested by
                  repositioning the MOV with a specific object in the center of the
                  initial view and saving it. When Qmove2 JPG is run none of the faces
                  are centered around that specific object but one should be if it were
                  extracting the "current" cube faces vs. the original ones..

                  There's got to be a way that I can extract the current faces in the MOV
                  as opposed to the original faces in the MOV. Then when I convert them
                  to an equirectangular with Pano2QTVR it will have the same initial view
                  as the original MOV.

                  > Dorin
                  >
                  > Sunday, June 3, 2007, 7:02:16 AM, you wrote:
                  >
                  > PS> Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:
                  >>> You can load them in Pano2QTVR and convert to equirectangular, I think
                  >>> it's the easiest and fastest.
                  >
                  > PS> It's times like this when I feel like the scarecrow in The Wizard of
                  > PS> Oz. You know, that part when he says "If I only had a brain." D'oh!
                  >
                  > PS> I did put them into Pano2QTVR and completely missed the Convert to
                  > PS> Equirectangular button. Do you think it's too big? =8^)
                  >
                  > PS> Be that as it may it did give me an equirectangular but it's all
                  > jumbled
                  > PS> up. What is the correct naming order for the cube faces (it's
                  > obviously
                  > PS> incorrect the way it came out of the disassembler)?
                  >
                  >>> Regards,
                  >>> Rodolpho Pajuaba

                  Pat Swovelin
                  Cool Guy @ Large
                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                    On 3 Jun 2007 at 1:08, Pat Swovelin wrote:

                    > Dorin Godja wrote:
                    > > Hello Pat,
                    > >
                    > > try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                    > > _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5
                    >
                    > I figured out the correct order but the problem is that it's extracting
                    > the faces of the cube that is in the MOV vs. extracting the faces of the
                    > MOV after it's been repositioned. This can be easily tested by
                    > repositioning the MOV with a specific object in the center of the
                    > initial view and saving it. When Qmove2 JPG is run none of the faces
                    > are centered around that specific object but one should be if it were
                    > extracting the "current" cube faces vs. the original ones..
                    >
                    > There's got to be a way that I can extract the current faces in the MOV
                    > as opposed to the original faces in the MOV. Then when I convert them
                    > to an equirectangular with Pano2QTVR it will have the same initial view
                    > as the original MOV.

                    I'm not quite sure if I understand your problem?

                    Are you simply trying to get an equirect with the center of it at the same pan value as
                    in the original mov?
                    Can't you just do that very easily with the offset tool in PS? Or use PTgui to do it (as
                    well as assemble the cube faces)?
                    But if you want this as an automated process, reading the initial view from the .mov and
                    all, it's a totally different story...--
                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                      > Dorin Godja wrote:
                      > > Hello Pat,
                      > >
                      > > try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                      > > _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5
                      >
                      > I figured out the correct order but the problem is that it's extracting
                      > the faces of the cube that is in the MOV vs. extracting the faces of the
                      > MOV after it's been repositioned. This can be easily tested by
                      > repositioning the MOV with a specific object in the center of the
                      > initial view and saving it. When Qmove2 JPG is run none of the faces
                      > are centered around that specific object but one should be if it were
                      > extracting the "current" cube faces vs. the original ones..
                      >
                      > There's got to be a way that I can extract the current faces in the MOV
                      > as opposed to the original faces in the MOV. Then when I convert them
                      > to an equirectangular with Pano2QTVR it will have the same initial view
                      > as the original MOV.

                      You can only do this on Mac with Cubic Converter.

                      But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view with the offset filter.

                      Hans
                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                        Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                        > On 3 Jun 2007 at 1:08, Pat Swovelin wrote:
                        >
                        >> Dorin Godja wrote:
                        >>> Hello Pat,
                        >>>
                        >>> try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                        >>> _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5
                        >> I figured out the correct order but the problem is that it's extracting
                        >> the faces of the cube that is in the MOV vs. extracting the faces of the
                        >> MOV after it's been repositioned. This can be easily tested by
                        >> repositioning the MOV with a specific object in the center of the
                        >> initial view and saving it. When Qmove2 JPG is run none of the faces
                        >> are centered around that specific object but one should be if it were
                        >> extracting the "current" cube faces vs. the original ones..
                        >>
                        >> There's got to be a way that I can extract the current faces in the MOV
                        >> as opposed to the original faces in the MOV. Then when I convert them
                        >> to an equirectangular with Pano2QTVR it will have the same initial view
                        >> as the original MOV.
                        >
                        > I'm not quite sure if I understand your problem?
                        >
                        > Are you simply trying to get an equirect with the center of it at the
                        > same pan value as
                        > in the original mov?

                        No, I need to be able to do it with the MOV's current initial view.

                        > Can't you just do that very easily with the offset tool in PS?

                        No, because that will wrap the distorted top and bottom edges to
                        someplace in the middle of the image if the repositioned MOV's initial
                        view is looking up.

                        > Or use PTgui to do it (as
                        > well as assemble the cube faces)?
                        > But if you want this as an automated process, reading the initial view
                        > from the .mov and
                        > all, it's a totally different story...--

                        It doesn't have to be automated but I do want to be able to extract an
                        equirectangular image from a MOV and be able to create, for example, a
                        Flash pano with the same initial view as the MOV.

                        > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • Pat Swovelin
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                          Hans Nyberg wrote:
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:
                          >> Dorin Godja wrote:
                          >>> Hello Pat,
                          >>>
                          >>> try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                          >>> _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5
                          >> I figured out the correct order but the problem is that it's extracting
                          >> the faces of the cube that is in the MOV vs. extracting the faces of the
                          >> MOV after it's been repositioned. This can be easily tested by
                          >> repositioning the MOV with a specific object in the center of the
                          >> initial view and saving it. When Qmove2 JPG is run none of the faces
                          >> are centered around that specific object but one should be if it were
                          >> extracting the "current" cube faces vs. the original ones..
                          >>
                          >> There's got to be a way that I can extract the current faces in the MOV
                          >> as opposed to the original faces in the MOV. Then when I convert them
                          >> to an equirectangular with Pano2QTVR it will have the same initial view
                          >> as the original MOV.
                          >
                          > You can only do this on Mac with Cubic Converter.

                          *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.

                          > But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view with
                          > the offset filter.

                          Not if the initial view is tilted up/down because that will wrap the
                          distorted top and bottom edges to someplace in the middle of the image.

                          > Hans

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • dorindxn
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                            > *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.

                            Pat, you have two things here, for example an equirectangualr could
                            have a door in middle but one can set as a starting point/view in .mov
                            a window or someting on the ceiling, still remain that equirectangular
                            with door in middle, so on the Mac way or PC way you can obtain what
                            you want but will not be the same thing, if you want to obtain same
                            start in a flash panorama you can use that "door in middle equirect"
                            wich you eventually obtain from extracting and converting in equirect,
                            and to set in that viewer pan, tilt and zoom for start as them are
                            in .mov

                            I you wish you can manage to put the window in middle of the equirect
                            openning that file in PTgui and set yaw, pitch, roll accordingly but
                            you will end up with a different equirect you'll see then why.

                            Dorin
                          • Ingemar Bergmark
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.
                              >
                              >> But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view
                              >> with the offset filter.
                              >
                              > Not if the initial view is tilted up/down because that will wrap
                              > the distorted top and bottom edges to someplace in the middle of
                              > the image.
                              >
                              >> Hans

                              Maybe this will help?

                              o) Create and equirectangular image from the Cube-faces with Pano2QTVR.

                              o) Use Photoshop and Panorama Tools like this:
                              - With PTAdjust Extract a 360 degree view (!)
                              Image settings:
                              HFOV: 360
                              Width and Height: = Same as original panorama Width and Height,
                              Format: PSphere
                              Yaw and Pitch: = Wherever you want your initial view

                              Panorama Settings:
                              HFOV: 360
                              Format: PSphere

                              After this I think you'll get the view that you want. However if you've
                              adjusted the Pitch, then you'll get a wavy horizon!

                              Regards,
                              Ingemar Bergmark
                              http://panoramas.bergmark.com
                            • Hans Nyberg
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                > Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                > > You can only do this on Mac with Cubic Converter.
                                >
                                > *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.
                                >
                                > > But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view with
                                > > the offset filter.
                                >
                                > Not if the initial view is tilted up/down because that will wrap the
                                > distorted top and bottom edges to someplace in the middle of the image.

                                I can not see the problem why you can not use your original equirectangular image and
                                change the view with the offset filter. I do that all the time with extracted images from the
                                movies I get.

                                If I understand you right you want the center of the equirectangular image to be at the
                                same initial center as the movie. I am not sure how Pano2QTVR does it but I assume you
                                have done some settings in the conversion which have changed the initial view.
                                That is just a setting in the movie and has nothing to do with the cubefaces.

                                Your extracted cubefaces will always be at zero tilt so you do not get any changes like you
                                assume. Your reassembled equirectangular will be exactly as your original.

                                Hans
                              • Guillaume Fulchiron
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                  > It doesn't have to be automated but I do want to be able to extract an
                                  > equirectangular image from a MOV and be able to create, for example, a
                                  > Flash pano with the same initial view as the MOV.

                                  Hi Pat,

                                  maybe one solution would be to use PanocubePlus which is able to
                                  convert .mov file into equirectangular .tif file in a drag and drop
                                  process.

                                  Then make a small copy of the .tif file (eg. 500x1000 px) and play
                                  with it into Pano2qtvr to find quickly the same initial view as your
                                  original .mov. Once you found it, launch Pano2qtvr with the big .tif file.

                                  http://www.panoshow.com/panocubeplus.htm

                                  Just my 2 cts.

                                  Rgds,

                                  G.
                                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                    On 3 Jun 2007 at 1:33, Pat Swovelin wrote:

                                    > Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                                    > > I'm not quite sure if I understand your problem?
                                    > >
                                    > > Are you simply trying to get an equirect with the center of it at the
                                    > > same pan value as
                                    > > in the original mov?
                                    >
                                    > No, I need to be able to do it with the MOV's current initial view.
                                    >
                                    > > Can't you just do that very easily with the offset tool in PS?
                                    >
                                    > No, because that will wrap the distorted top and bottom edges to
                                    > someplace in the middle of the image if the repositioned MOV's initial
                                    > view is looking up.

                                    Are you tryng to get an equirect that is tilted the same as the initial view in the .mov?
                                    You can do that in PTgui, but the result will be a very wavy horizon !

                                    > > Or use PTgui to do it (as
                                    > > well as assemble the cube faces)?
                                    > > But if you want this as an automated process, reading the initial view
                                    > > from the .mov and
                                    > > all, it's a totally different story...--
                                    >
                                    > It doesn't have to be automated but I do want to be able to extract an
                                    > equirectangular image from a MOV and be able to create, for example, a
                                    > Flash pano with the same initial view as the MOV.

                                    I would think that most viewers allow you to set an initial view, regardless of the
                                    source image?
                                  • Milko Amorth
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                      Hi Pat,

                                      > *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.
                                      The initial view has nothing to do with the tilings. What ever is 0,0 at
                                      the time of tiling will be tile 0 or 1. These 3Dcords get wired later upon
                                      input of wysiwyg or numerical setting.

                                      Panotools PTAdjust plugin will extract from your eq whatever cords you put
                                      in. You have to know the cords of the initial view. You could load the
                                      original movie into DevalVR viewer and show the camera infos to read the
                                      coords for tilt and pan.

                                      Cheers, Milko

                                      --
                                      Milko Amorth
                                      360° Immersive Imaging

                                      PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
                                      Skype me @ vrdundee
                                      Member of IVRPA.org
                                    • Sacha Griffin
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                        PTGUI panorama editor, use the numerical adjust, with the input set to equi
                                        360 and panorama set to rectangular & fov matching the quicktime window.
                                        Then when it looks the same, reset the panorama back to equi 360 and call it
                                        a day.

                                        Sacha Griffin
                                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                                        www.southern-digital.com
                                        www.seeit360.net
                                        www.ezphotosafe.com
                                        404-551-4275
                                        404-731-7798

                                        _____

                                        >>> try to locate up that's _4 then what match without rotation with up is
                                        >>> _0 then go matching to the right in order _1 _2 _3 the down is _5
                                        >> I figured out the correct order but the problem is that it's extracting
                                        >> the faces of the cube that is in the MOV vs. extracting the faces of the
                                        >> MOV after it's been repositioned. This can be easily tested by
                                        >> repositioning the MOV with a specific object in the center of the
                                        >> initial view and saving it. When Qmove2 JPG is run none of the faces
                                        >> are centered around that specific object but one should be if it were
                                        >> extracting the "current" cube faces vs. the original ones..
                                        >>
                                        >> There's got to be a way that I can extract the current faces in the MOV
                                        >> as opposed to the original faces in the MOV. Then when I convert them
                                        >> to an equirectangular with Pano2QTVR it will have the same initial view
                                        >> as the original MOV.
                                        >
                                        > You can only do this on Mac with Cubic Converter.

                                        *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.

                                        > But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view with
                                        > the offset filter.

                                        Not if the initial view is tilted up/down because that will wrap the
                                        distorted top and bottom edges to someplace in the middle of the image.

                                        > Hans

                                        Pat Swovelin
                                        Cool Guy @ Large

                                      • John Houghton
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                          > I can not see the problem why you can not use your original
                                          > equirectangular image and change the view with the offset filter.

                                          While you can effectively pan left and right using Photoshop's offset
                                          filter to change the view, you cannot likewise pan up and down. There
                                          is no wraparound vertically in the equirectangular image as there is
                                          horizontally. i.e. unlike the left and right sides of the
                                          equirectangular, the nadir and zenith are not contiguous on the 360x180
                                          sphere.

                                          You can change the view by remapping the image in PTGui and using the
                                          numerical transform option to move the required feature to the centre
                                          of the output area. If that's all that's required, then the job is
                                          done. However, if a .mov file is generated from that remapped image,
                                          it will not behave at all like the original movie, although it may
                                          start by displaying the required view. It will exhibit all the faults
                                          of an unlevelled panorama.

                                          John
                                        • Sacha Griffin
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                            That's quite right now that I think about it. It's pointless to do what Pat
                                            wants. He only needs to extract the tilt information for viewer reference,
                                            and possibly the pan information if you want to do SOME orientation.

                                            Pan is easily done with the offset as everyone has suggested.

                                            I wonder however, if there couldn't be some standard extension in the IPTC
                                            or exif data for initial viewpoint.

                                            Sacha Griffin
                                            Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                                            www.southern-digital.com
                                            www.seeit360.net
                                            www.ezphotosafe.com
                                            404-551-4275
                                            404-731-7798

                                            _____

                                            > I can not see the problem why you can not use your original
                                            > equirectangular image and change the view with the offset filter.

                                            While you can effectively pan left and right using Photoshop's offset
                                            filter to change the view, you cannot likewise pan up and down. There
                                            is no wraparound vertically in the equirectangular image as there is
                                            horizontally. i.e. unlike the left and right sides of the
                                            equirectangular, the nadir and zenith are not contiguous on the 360x180
                                            sphere.

                                            You can change the view by remapping the image in PTGui and using the
                                            numerical transform option to move the required feature to the centre
                                            of the output area. If that's all that's required, then the job is
                                            done. However, if a .mov file is generated from that remapped image,
                                            it will not behave at all like the original movie, although it may
                                            start by displaying the required view. It will exhibit all the faults
                                            of an unlevelled panorama.

                                            John

                                          • Mickael Therer
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                              20+ posts later I'm still wondering why you'd need to do that ?
                                              link and case-story would certainly help me understand and figure ways
                                              around

                                              -m

                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                              > Is there a way to extract an equirectangular image from a MOV?
                                              >
                                              > I need to be able to do this and maintain the initial view in the
                                              > repositioned MOV (that's very different from the original
                                              > equirectangular image). In effect I want to decompile the MOV. I
                                              don't
                                              > want to have to go back and regenerate the equirectangular image from
                                              > PTGui because ofttimes there is MAJOR post-production work that I don't
                                              > want to be forced to do all over again.
                                              >
                                              > I'm on a PC if that effects your answer.
                                              >

                                              > Pat Swovelin
                                              > Cool Guy @ Large

                                            • Pat Swovelin
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                Ingemar Bergmark wrote:
                                                >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                                                >> wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.
                                                >>
                                                >>> But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view
                                                >>> with the offset filter.
                                                >> Not if the initial view is tilted up/down because that will wrap
                                                >> the distorted top and bottom edges to someplace in the middle of
                                                >> the image.
                                                >>
                                                >>> Hans
                                                >
                                                > Maybe this will help?
                                                >
                                                > o) Create and equirectangular image from the Cube-faces with Pano2QTVR.
                                                >
                                                > o) Use Photoshop and Panorama Tools like this:
                                                > - With PTAdjust Extract a 360 degree view (!)
                                                > Image settings:
                                                > HFOV: 360
                                                > Width and Height: = Same as original panorama Width and Height,
                                                > Format: PSphere
                                                > Yaw and Pitch: = Wherever you want your initial view
                                                >
                                                > Panorama Settings:
                                                > HFOV: 360
                                                > Format: PSphere
                                                >
                                                > After this I think you'll get the view that you want. However if you've
                                                > adjusted the Pitch, then you'll get a wavy horizon!

                                                And therein lays the rub, virtually every time I set an initial view it
                                                includes both pan and tilt.

                                                I did a quick test with this concept and as promising as it sounded it
                                                doesn't work because the bottom of the pano is now off to the side and
                                                it looked like it was shot with the new nauseacam (I was getting ill as
                                                I panned around). Darn it.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                  Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:
                                                  >> Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                                  >>> You can only do this on Mac with Cubic Converter.
                                                  >> *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>> But it is easy to just open it in photoshop and change the view with
                                                  >>> the offset filter.
                                                  >> Not if the initial view is tilted up/down because that will wrap the
                                                  >> distorted top and bottom edges to someplace in the middle of the image.
                                                  >
                                                  > I can not see the problem why you can not use your original
                                                  > equirectangular image and
                                                  > change the view with the offset filter. I do that all the time with
                                                  > extracted images from the
                                                  > movies I get.
                                                  >
                                                  > If I understand you right you want the center of the equirectangular
                                                  > image to be at the
                                                  > same initial center as the movie. I am not sure how Pano2QTVR does it
                                                  > but I assume you
                                                  > have done some settings in the conversion which have changed the
                                                  > initial view.
                                                  > That is just a setting in the movie and has nothing to do with the
                                                  > cubefaces.
                                                  >
                                                  > Your extracted cubefaces will always be at zero tilt so you do not get
                                                  > any changes like you
                                                  > assume. Your reassembled equirectangular will be exactly as your original.

                                                  Exactly. The problem, as it turns out is that when you have a different
                                                  equirectangular image (based on some pan and tilt numbers) the bottom of
                                                  the pano is now off to the side and the thing looks like it was shot
                                                  with the new NauseaCam (it made me ill just to look at it). So the
                                                  concept of having a new equirectangular image that's pre-tilted and
                                                  panned won't work (darn it).

                                                  > Hans

                                                  Pat Swovelin
                                                  Cool Guy @ Large
                                                • Pat Swovelin
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                    Guillaume Fulchiron wrote:
                                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    >> It doesn't have to be automated but I do want to be able to extract an
                                                    >> equirectangular image from a MOV and be able to create, for example, a
                                                    >> Flash pano with the same initial view as the MOV.
                                                    >>

                                                    > Hi Pat,
                                                    >
                                                    > maybe one solution would be to use PanocubePlus which is able to
                                                    > convert .mov file into equirectangular .tif file in a drag and drop
                                                    > process.
                                                    >
                                                    > Then make a small copy of the .tif file (eg. 500x1000 px) and play
                                                    > with it into Pano2qtvr to find quickly the same initial view as your
                                                    > original .mov. Once you found it, launch Pano2qtvr with the big .tif file.
                                                    >
                                                    > http://www.panoshow.com/panocubeplus.htm
                                                    >
                                                    > Just my 2 cts.

                                                    Thanks but as it turns out it won't work because a differently
                                                    positioned equirectangular image will have the bottom off to the side
                                                    and the verticals are all over the place.

                                                    Darn it.

                                                    > Rgds,
                                                    >
                                                    > G.

                                                    Pat Swovelin
                                                    Cool Guy @ Large
                                                  • Pat Swovelin
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                      Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                                                      > On 3 Jun 2007 at 1:33, Pat Swovelin wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      >> Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                                                      >>> I'm not quite sure if I understand your problem?
                                                      >>>
                                                      >>> Are you simply trying to get an equirect with the center of it at the
                                                      >>> same pan value as
                                                      >>> in the original mov?
                                                      >> No, I need to be able to do it with the MOV's current initial view.
                                                      >>
                                                      >>> Can't you just do that very easily with the offset tool in PS?
                                                      >> No, because that will wrap the distorted top and bottom edges to
                                                      >> someplace in the middle of the image if the repositioned MOV's initial
                                                      >> view is looking up.
                                                      >
                                                      > Are you tryng to get an equirect that is tilted the same as the
                                                      > initial view in the .mov?
                                                      > You can do that in PTgui, but the result will be a very wavy horizon !
                                                      >
                                                      >>> Or use PTgui to do it (as
                                                      >>> well as assemble the cube faces)?
                                                      >>> But if you want this as an automated process, reading the initial view
                                                      >>> from the .mov and
                                                      >>> all, it's a totally different story...--
                                                      >> It doesn't have to be automated but I do want to be able to extract an
                                                      >> equirectangular image from a MOV and be able to create, for example, a
                                                      >> Flash pano with the same initial view as the MOV.
                                                      >
                                                      > I would think that most viewers allow you to set an initial view,
                                                      > regardless of the
                                                      > source image?

                                                      Clearly that's what I'll have to do. I don't know what I was thinking
                                                      but "clearly" wasn't in the equation. I think I need a nap ...

                                                      ... or a beer.

                                                      Probably both.

                                                      Pat Swovelin
                                                      Cool Guy @ Large
                                                    • Pat Swovelin
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                        Milko Amorth wrote:
                                                        > Hi Pat,
                                                        >
                                                        >> *Aarrrgh!* There's got to be a way to be able to do it on a PC.
                                                        > The initial view has nothing to do with the tilings. What ever is 0,0 at
                                                        > the time of tiling will be tile 0 or 1. These 3Dcords get wired later
                                                        > upon
                                                        > input of wysiwyg or numerical setting.
                                                        >
                                                        > Panotools PTAdjust plugin will extract from your eq whatever cords you
                                                        > put
                                                        > in. You have to know the cords of the initial view. You could load the
                                                        > original movie into DevalVR viewer and show the camera infos to read the
                                                        > coords for tilt and pan.

                                                        Thanks, Milko.

                                                        > Cheers, Milko

                                                        Pat Swovelin
                                                        Cool Guy @ Large
                                                      • Pat Swovelin
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                          John Houghton wrote:
                                                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                                                          >> I can not see the problem why you can not use your original
                                                          >> equirectangular image and change the view with the offset filter.
                                                          >
                                                          > While you can effectively pan left and right using Photoshop's offset
                                                          > filter to change the view, you cannot likewise pan up and down. There
                                                          > is no wraparound vertically in the equirectangular image as there is
                                                          > horizontally. i.e. unlike the left and right sides of the
                                                          > equirectangular, the nadir and zenith are not contiguous on the 360x180
                                                          > sphere.
                                                          >
                                                          > You can change the view by remapping the image in PTGui and using the
                                                          > numerical transform option to move the required feature to the centre
                                                          > of the output area. If that's all that's required, then the job is
                                                          > done. However, if a .mov file is generated from that remapped image,
                                                          > it will not behave at all like the original movie, although it may
                                                          > start by displaying the required view. It will exhibit all the faults
                                                          > of an unlevelled panorama.

                                                          Man, did it ever. It was making me ill just to look at it.

                                                          > John

                                                          Pat Swovelin
                                                          Cool Guy @ Large
                                                        • Pat Swovelin
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                            An extracted equirect can't possibly work. *THANKS* for all of your
                                                            help everyone and I'm sorry I've wasted your valuable time.

                                                            Thankfully this IS the end of the thread.

                                                            Pat Swovelin
                                                            Cool Guy @ Large
                                                          • Eric O'Brien
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                              I think you are proceeding under a false assumption.

                                                              The "front" cube face and the center (left-right) portion of the
                                                              equirectangular image MIGHT correspond to the Initial View values of
                                                              a QTVR movie, but there is nothing that says they MUST.

                                                              Further, neither the exacted cube faces, nor an extracted
                                                              equirectangular image contain information that corresponds to the
                                                              Initial View values for a QTVR movie. [It is true that the data
                                                              inside a QTVR movie, probably tiles, can be reordered so that tiles
                                                              "in front of" the viewer occur earlier in the file, but trying to
                                                              unravel THAT to figure out the initial view seems like far more work
                                                              than is necessary, especially since the initial view info is ALREADY
                                                              IN a QTVR movie.]

                                                              That is, you CANNOT reliably derive the initial angle of view (and
                                                              zoom, or window size) from the extracted cube faces. Assuming that's
                                                              what you're hoping to do. That information is not in there!

                                                              eo