Using mixed FOV with 10-17mm lens in panorama

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      From Michel Thoby's experiment some months ago, where he shot a spherical
      panorama using both the 10mm and the 17mm setting and from Bernhard's recent
      remark:
      [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content with the
      typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in various
      situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
      quality."[endquote]
      Does this mean that reducing the resolution of the image that was shot at
      17mm zoom-setting to the same resolution as the rest of the pano would still
      result in more detail/quality in that part of the equirectangular...? In
      Michel's test pano it is difficult to compare the quality of the different
      zoom setting, because the objects are at such different distances. Is the
      difference in quality large enough to bother?

      Carel
    • robert_harshman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
        > From Michel Thoby's experiment some months ago, where he shot a
        spherical
        > panorama using both the 10mm and the 17mm setting and from
        Bernhard's recent
        > remark:
        > [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content
        with the
        > typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in
        various
        > situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
        > quality."[endquote]

        Carl, do you have the links to the references your noting?

        I'm at a lost as to why reducing the resolution could in any way
        improve the quality if all other factors remain the same. Perhaps it
        removes some of the complexity or imperfections of the real world?
        Like a skin makeover in a fashion magazine?

        Regards,

        Robert
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
          Robert Harshman wrote:

          > Carl, do you have the links to the references your noting?
          >
          > I'm at a lost as to why reducing the resolution could in any way
          > improve the quality if all other factors remain the same. Perhaps it
          > removes some of the complexity or imperfections of the real world?
          > Like a skin makeover in a fashion magazine?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Robert

          According to Bernhard it has to do with the sensor which was mentioned in
          this thread:
          http://tinyurl.com/2eso2s
          [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content with the
          typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in various
          situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
          quality."[endquote]

          The link to Michel Thoby's experiment is:
          http://tinyurl.com/2h5dzb (scroll down a bit)

          Carel
        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
            > According to Bernhard it has to do with the sensor which was mentioned in
            > this thread:
            > http://tinyurl.com/2eso2s
            > [quote] "The basic idea arises from the fact that i am not content with the
            > typical "pseudo-resolution" a Bayer sensor offers. I have seen in various
            > situations that reducing the resolution dramatically increases
            > quality."[endquote]

            The basic idea should be more understandable if you look how a bayer
            sensor actually works: Actual per-pixel color values are derived by
            interpolation of a 2x2 field.
            If you reduce resolution, you can approximate to a per-pixel color
            accuracy comparable to what a Foveon sensor can deliver. See the
            following test for image quality comparison of both sensors:
            http://www.ddisoftware.com/reviews/sd9-v-bayer/
            The reality is somewhat more complex as the test may suggest, but it's a
            good aid for pointing out the basic principle (of resolution reduction).

            Best regards
            Bernhard