Re: Need help with setting image parameters for circular images

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
      If the crop circle has been set identically on all the images, then
      they will all be remapped (warped) in the same manner. Use the "Apply
      to all images" button on the Crop tab to set the same crop circle on
      all images. In the case of the nadir and zenith, beware of upside down
      images that can result from bogus auto rotation sensor values. If you
      choose to have smaller crop circles for the zenith and/or nadir, then
      you must select individual lens parameters for those images.

      John
    • gobrien1911
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
        wrote:

        > If the crop circle has been set identically on all the images, then
        > they will all be remapped (warped) in the same manner. Use the "Apply
        > to all images" button on the Crop tab to set the same crop circle on
        > all images. In the case of the nadir and zenith, beware of upside down
        > images that can result from bogus auto rotation sensor values. If you
        > choose to have smaller crop circles for the zenith and/or nadir, then
        > you must select individual lens parameters for those images.
        >
        > John

        John:

        Crop circle is set identically for all images.

        I thought the sensor orientation might be the problem, so I changed
        the roll in 90 degree increments. Doesn't seem to work.

        I have to confess I know how to push the buttons in PTGui, but I'm not
        clear on what actually happens. When you say select individual lens
        params for the cropped Z and N, do I need to change other params
        beside pitch for those cropped frames?

        thanks for the help,
        Gary
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "gobrien1911" <gary@...> wrote:
          > Crop circle is set identically for all images.
          >
          > I thought the sensor orientation might be the problem, so I changed
          > the roll in 90 degree increments. Doesn't seem to work.

          If you look on the Source Images tab, you should see all the image
          thumbnails in the same orientation. If any image is upside down, that
          may be evident by inspecting the positions of the crop circle, which
          has been set the same on all images. Often, the lens axis is not
          precisely aligned with the centre of the sensor. This leads to an off-
          centre image circle. When an image is upside down relative to the
          other images, the crop circle then won't align accurately with the
          image circle. This causes problems in optimization.

          > I have to confess I know how to push the buttons in PTGui, but I'm not
          > clear on what actually happens. When you say select individual lens
          > params for the cropped Z and N, do I need to change other params
          > beside pitch for those cropped frames?

          If you have different crop circles on the nadir/zenith, you must select
          individual lens parameters - i.e. fov,a,b,c,d,e. If you reduce the
          size of the crop circle, you decrease the fov of the (cropped) image.
          Assigning +90 to the pitch of the zenith image merely positions it at
          the top of the stitching sphere. It will appear to spread out across
          the top of the equirectangular output image. Varying yaw or roll
          values will rotate it in that position. Of course, assignment of
          control points and optimization will locate the zenith image in its
          correct position anyway.

          John