Need help with setting image parameters for circular images

  • gobrien1911
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi, all:

      I'm trying to bring in the nadir and zenith images into PTGui on a
      handheld pano shot with Canon 5D and Sigma 8mm. This is my first time
      using full circular images.

      Try as I might, I can't get my initial image parameters set correctly
      for Z or N.

      In my usual workflow (Nikon DSLR, Sigma8mm), all I do is set pitch at
      +/- 90 degrees for Z and N and adjust yaw. They line up nicely in the
      Panorama Editor and all is well.

      With the Canon images, Z and N are very distorted in the editor. I can
      adjust yaw, but pitch settings don't seem to work correctly.

      Is there something I'm missing here?

      I'm at a NPPA (National Press Photographers Association) Multimedia
      Immersion seminar, shooting and demonstrating VR. I'd really like to
      get this pano done today if at all possible. http://www.nppasummit.org
      if you want to take a look. The students' projects will be posted
      beginning later today.

      Thanks all... hope to see you in Berkeley in a few days.

      Best regards,
      Gary

      --
      Gary O'Brien
      Photographer | Photo Editor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hi Gary,

        > Is there something I'm missing here?
        Most likley the circular crop setting. Check the crop tab. For Z and N you
        wont need full fov. Just size it down to what you need, and do your
        regular pitches up and down. It should map ok.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
          If the crop circle has been set identically on all the images, then
          they will all be remapped (warped) in the same manner. Use the "Apply
          to all images" button on the Crop tab to set the same crop circle on
          all images. In the case of the nadir and zenith, beware of upside down
          images that can result from bogus auto rotation sensor values. If you
          choose to have smaller crop circles for the zenith and/or nadir, then
          you must select individual lens parameters for those images.

          John
        • gobrien1911
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
            wrote:

            > If the crop circle has been set identically on all the images, then
            > they will all be remapped (warped) in the same manner. Use the "Apply
            > to all images" button on the Crop tab to set the same crop circle on
            > all images. In the case of the nadir and zenith, beware of upside down
            > images that can result from bogus auto rotation sensor values. If you
            > choose to have smaller crop circles for the zenith and/or nadir, then
            > you must select individual lens parameters for those images.
            >
            > John

            John:

            Crop circle is set identically for all images.

            I thought the sensor orientation might be the problem, so I changed
            the roll in 90 degree increments. Doesn't seem to work.

            I have to confess I know how to push the buttons in PTGui, but I'm not
            clear on what actually happens. When you say select individual lens
            params for the cropped Z and N, do I need to change other params
            beside pitch for those cropped frames?

            thanks for the help,
            Gary
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "gobrien1911" <gary@...> wrote:
              > Crop circle is set identically for all images.
              >
              > I thought the sensor orientation might be the problem, so I changed
              > the roll in 90 degree increments. Doesn't seem to work.

              If you look on the Source Images tab, you should see all the image
              thumbnails in the same orientation. If any image is upside down, that
              may be evident by inspecting the positions of the crop circle, which
              has been set the same on all images. Often, the lens axis is not
              precisely aligned with the centre of the sensor. This leads to an off-
              centre image circle. When an image is upside down relative to the
              other images, the crop circle then won't align accurately with the
              image circle. This causes problems in optimization.

              > I have to confess I know how to push the buttons in PTGui, but I'm not
              > clear on what actually happens. When you say select individual lens
              > params for the cropped Z and N, do I need to change other params
              > beside pitch for those cropped frames?

              If you have different crop circles on the nadir/zenith, you must select
              individual lens parameters - i.e. fov,a,b,c,d,e. If you reduce the
              size of the crop circle, you decrease the fov of the (cropped) image.
              Assigning +90 to the pitch of the zenith image merely positions it at
              the top of the stitching sphere. It will appear to spread out across
              the top of the equirectangular output image. Varying yaw or roll
              values will rotate it in that position. Of course, assignment of
              control points and optimization will locate the zenith image in its
              correct position anyway.

              John