Re: [PanoToolsNG] Totally OT - Very impressive audio immersion

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
      this is VERY IT, for me at last.

      Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:

      > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
      > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects. The
      > experience was so pleasant and so impressive that I would love to share
      > with you guys. My apologise for those who don't like OT messages... give
      > it a try, you will enjoy it! :-)
      >
      > A pair of headphones is mandatory for the experience - using speakers
      > will spoil it. Use the better headphones you can.
      >
      > Put on the headphones, set up a decent volume (a slightly higher volume
      > will make it more effective), then just hit the play button. Keeping the
      > eyes closed is mandatory too! The beginning is not extraordinary, but
      > expect some wild sensations latter on. It's a 5 min ride.
      >
      > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/
      > <http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/>
      >
      > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects... but I
      > wonder how would it feel to have this kind of enviromental sounds within
      > panoramas!
      >
      > Hope you enjoy it!
      >
      > Fabio.

    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hi Flemming,

        > "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
        > by Iron Butterfly.
        What a synergy, Flemming. Just when i finished writing this I thought of
        this very song! I looked it up on youtube.com and found lots of samples.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
          Milko Amorth wrote:

          > No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear
          > of a dummy head, really.

          Milko is right. If you have lotsa money, get "Fritz" (Neuman KU100):

          <http://www.coutant.org/ku100.html>

          But I'm cheap, so I use tiny microphones clipped to the arms of my
          sunglasses next to my ears. Not as spatially 3D-accurate as "Fritz",
          but good enough for sounds located > 4m away.

          Back in the dark ages I used to use Coresound binaural mics:

          <http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php>

          ... good for loud stuff, but useless for natural recordings (poor
          self-noise characteristics).

          Consequently, about six years ago I made my own rig using a pair of DPA
          4060-BM miniature mics:

          <http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-
          BM&PID=&function=pdescription>

          Much better noise-floor dB.

          Now that I am no longer doing VR and have a real job which pays real
          money..., I plan on eventually upgrading my sound rig to a fully
          solid-state 24-bit recorder and a pair of much better compact mics.

          Regds,

          Andrew N.
          <http://nemeng.com>
          Blue Mountains Australia