Re: [PanoToolsNG] Totally OT - Very impressive audio immersion

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
      This got me thinking of one of my old favorite tunes: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
      by Iron Butterfly.
      The drum-solo on the 17:05 minute long LP-version (not the single-version)
      gives a really amazing feeling of beeing in a 3D soundspaces when you use
      headphones.
      And it was done in "low tech" 1968 ;-)

      - Flemming
    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
        this is VERY IT, for me at last.

        Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:

        > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
        > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects. The
        > experience was so pleasant and so impressive that I would love to share
        > with you guys. My apologise for those who don't like OT messages... give
        > it a try, you will enjoy it! :-)
        >
        > A pair of headphones is mandatory for the experience - using speakers
        > will spoil it. Use the better headphones you can.
        >
        > Put on the headphones, set up a decent volume (a slightly higher volume
        > will make it more effective), then just hit the play button. Keeping the
        > eyes closed is mandatory too! The beginning is not extraordinary, but
        > expect some wild sensations latter on. It's a 5 min ride.
        >
        > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/
        > <http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/>
        >
        > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects... but I
        > wonder how would it feel to have this kind of enviromental sounds within
        > panoramas!
        >
        > Hope you enjoy it!
        >
        > Fabio.

      • Milko Amorth
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi Flemming,

          > "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
          > by Iron Butterfly.
          What a synergy, Flemming. Just when i finished writing this I thought of
          this very song! I looked it up on youtube.com and found lots of samples.

          Cheers, Milko

          --
          Milko Amorth
          360° Immersive Imaging
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
            Milko Amorth wrote:

            > No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear
            > of a dummy head, really.

            Milko is right. If you have lotsa money, get "Fritz" (Neuman KU100):

            <http://www.coutant.org/ku100.html>

            But I'm cheap, so I use tiny microphones clipped to the arms of my
            sunglasses next to my ears. Not as spatially 3D-accurate as "Fritz",
            but good enough for sounds located > 4m away.

            Back in the dark ages I used to use Coresound binaural mics:

            <http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php>

            ... good for loud stuff, but useless for natural recordings (poor
            self-noise characteristics).

            Consequently, about six years ago I made my own rig using a pair of DPA
            4060-BM miniature mics:

            <http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-
            BM&PID=&function=pdescription>

            Much better noise-floor dB.

            Now that I am no longer doing VR and have a real job which pays real
            money..., I plan on eventually upgrading my sound rig to a fully
            solid-state 24-bit recorder and a pair of much better compact mics.

            Regds,

            Andrew N.
            <http://nemeng.com>
            Blue Mountains Australia