Re: [PanoToolsNG] Totally OT - Very impressive audio immersion

  • Milko Amorth
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi Fabio,
      Thanks for the link.

      > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects...

      No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear of a dummy
      head, really. The fellow tells his story and runs around it.
      In panoramas you can wire this sound directional in Quicktime. Cubic
      Connector from Clickheredesign.com is the software (for Mac) to get it
      done in no time. My hero in this technology is Andrew Nemeth from
      Australia. I bought his VRCD in 2003 when i got seriously infected by the
      VRbug. His VR's with sound are exemplars.
      http://www.4020.net/

      Cheers, Milko

      --
      Milko Amorth
      360° Immersive Imaging
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
        This got me thinking of one of my old favorite tunes: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
        by Iron Butterfly.
        The drum-solo on the 17:05 minute long LP-version (not the single-version)
        gives a really amazing feeling of beeing in a 3D soundspaces when you use
        headphones.
        And it was done in "low tech" 1968 ;-)

        - Flemming
      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
          this is VERY IT, for me at last.

          Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:

          > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
          > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects. The
          > experience was so pleasant and so impressive that I would love to share
          > with you guys. My apologise for those who don't like OT messages... give
          > it a try, you will enjoy it! :-)
          >
          > A pair of headphones is mandatory for the experience - using speakers
          > will spoil it. Use the better headphones you can.
          >
          > Put on the headphones, set up a decent volume (a slightly higher volume
          > will make it more effective), then just hit the play button. Keeping the
          > eyes closed is mandatory too! The beginning is not extraordinary, but
          > expect some wild sensations latter on. It's a 5 min ride.
          >
          > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/
          > <http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/>
          >
          > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects... but I
          > wonder how would it feel to have this kind of enviromental sounds within
          > panoramas!
          >
          > Hope you enjoy it!
          >
          > Fabio.

        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
            Hi Flemming,

            > "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
            > by Iron Butterfly.
            What a synergy, Flemming. Just when i finished writing this I thought of
            this very song! I looked it up on youtube.com and found lots of samples.

            Cheers, Milko

            --
            Milko Amorth
            360° Immersive Imaging
            Photographic Virtual Reality
            VRCanada.ca
            604.561.5101
            Skype me @ vrdundee
            Member of IVRPA.org
          • Andrew Nemeth
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
              Milko Amorth wrote:

              > No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear
              > of a dummy head, really.

              Milko is right. If you have lotsa money, get "Fritz" (Neuman KU100):

              <http://www.coutant.org/ku100.html>

              But I'm cheap, so I use tiny microphones clipped to the arms of my
              sunglasses next to my ears. Not as spatially 3D-accurate as "Fritz",
              but good enough for sounds located > 4m away.

              Back in the dark ages I used to use Coresound binaural mics:

              <http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php>

              ... good for loud stuff, but useless for natural recordings (poor
              self-noise characteristics).

              Consequently, about six years ago I made my own rig using a pair of DPA
              4060-BM miniature mics:

              <http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-
              BM&PID=&function=pdescription>

              Much better noise-floor dB.

              Now that I am no longer doing VR and have a real job which pays real
              money..., I plan on eventually upgrading my sound rig to a fully
              solid-state 24-bit recorder and a pair of much better compact mics.

              Regds,

              Andrew N.
              <http://nemeng.com>
              Blue Mountains Australia