Re: [PanoToolsNG] Totally OT - Very impressive audio immersion

  • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
      > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects.
      > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/

      delightful!

      I had the experience in Sega world London before. Some virtual peg legged
      creep was walking circles around me while I was sitting in a dark room.
      They even matched the movement of the floorboard under my feat with the
      motion of the virtual person.

      Soundwise this works at least as good! Thx for the link..

      Serge.
    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi Fabio,
        Thanks for the link.

        > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects...

        No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear of a dummy
        head, really. The fellow tells his story and runs around it.
        In panoramas you can wire this sound directional in Quicktime. Cubic
        Connector from Clickheredesign.com is the software (for Mac) to get it
        done in no time. My hero in this technology is Andrew Nemeth from
        Australia. I bought his VRCD in 2003 when i got seriously infected by the
        VRbug. His VR's with sound are exemplars.
        http://www.4020.net/

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
          This got me thinking of one of my old favorite tunes: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
          by Iron Butterfly.
          The drum-solo on the 17:05 minute long LP-version (not the single-version)
          gives a really amazing feeling of beeing in a 3D soundspaces when you use
          headphones.
          And it was done in "low tech" 1968 ;-)

          - Flemming
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
            this is VERY IT, for me at last.

            Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:

            > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
            > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects. The
            > experience was so pleasant and so impressive that I would love to share
            > with you guys. My apologise for those who don't like OT messages... give
            > it a try, you will enjoy it! :-)
            >
            > A pair of headphones is mandatory for the experience - using speakers
            > will spoil it. Use the better headphones you can.
            >
            > Put on the headphones, set up a decent volume (a slightly higher volume
            > will make it more effective), then just hit the play button. Keeping the
            > eyes closed is mandatory too! The beginning is not extraordinary, but
            > expect some wild sensations latter on. It's a 5 min ride.
            >
            > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/
            > <http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/>
            >
            > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects... but I
            > wonder how would it feel to have this kind of enviromental sounds within
            > panoramas!
            >
            > Hope you enjoy it!
            >
            > Fabio.

          • Milko Amorth
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
              Hi Flemming,

              > "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
              > by Iron Butterfly.
              What a synergy, Flemming. Just when i finished writing this I thought of
              this very song! I looked it up on youtube.com and found lots of samples.

              Cheers, Milko

              --
              Milko Amorth
              360° Immersive Imaging
              Photographic Virtual Reality
              VRCanada.ca
              604.561.5101
              Skype me @ vrdundee
              Member of IVRPA.org
            • Andrew Nemeth
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                Milko Amorth wrote:

                > No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear
                > of a dummy head, really.

                Milko is right. If you have lotsa money, get "Fritz" (Neuman KU100):

                <http://www.coutant.org/ku100.html>

                But I'm cheap, so I use tiny microphones clipped to the arms of my
                sunglasses next to my ears. Not as spatially 3D-accurate as "Fritz",
                but good enough for sounds located > 4m away.

                Back in the dark ages I used to use Coresound binaural mics:

                <http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php>

                ... good for loud stuff, but useless for natural recordings (poor
                self-noise characteristics).

                Consequently, about six years ago I made my own rig using a pair of DPA
                4060-BM miniature mics:

                <http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-
                BM&PID=&function=pdescription>

                Much better noise-floor dB.

                Now that I am no longer doing VR and have a real job which pays real
                money..., I plan on eventually upgrading my sound rig to a fully
                solid-state 24-bit recorder and a pair of much better compact mics.

                Regds,

                Andrew N.
                <http://nemeng.com>
                Blue Mountains Australia