Totally OT - Very impressive audio immersion

  • Fabio Bustamante
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
      "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects. The
      experience was so pleasant and so impressive that I would love to share
      with you guys. My apologise for those who don't like OT messages... give
      it a try, you will enjoy it! :-)

      A pair of headphones is mandatory for the experience - using speakers
      will spoil it. Use the better headphones you can.

      Put on the headphones, set up a decent volume (a slightly higher volume
      will make it more effective), then just hit the play button. Keeping the
      eyes closed is mandatory too! The beginning is not extraordinary, but
      expect some wild sensations latter on. It's a 5 min ride.

      http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/

      I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects... but I
      wonder how would it feel to have this kind of enviromental sounds within
      panoramas!

      Hope you enjoy it!

      Fabio.
    • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
        > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
        > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects.
        > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/

        delightful!

        I had the experience in Sega world London before. Some virtual peg legged
        creep was walking circles around me while I was sitting in a dark room.
        They even matched the movement of the floorboard under my feat with the
        motion of the virtual person.

        Soundwise this works at least as good! Thx for the link..

        Serge.
      • Milko Amorth
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
          Hi Fabio,
          Thanks for the link.

          > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects...

          No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear of a dummy
          head, really. The fellow tells his story and runs around it.
          In panoramas you can wire this sound directional in Quicktime. Cubic
          Connector from Clickheredesign.com is the software (for Mac) to get it
          done in no time. My hero in this technology is Andrew Nemeth from
          Australia. I bought his VRCD in 2003 when i got seriously infected by the
          VRbug. His VR's with sound are exemplars.
          http://www.4020.net/

          Cheers, Milko

          --
          Milko Amorth
          360° Immersive Imaging
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
            This got me thinking of one of my old favorite tunes: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
            by Iron Butterfly.
            The drum-solo on the 17:05 minute long LP-version (not the single-version)
            gives a really amazing feeling of beeing in a 3D soundspaces when you use
            headphones.
            And it was done in "low tech" 1968 ;-)

            - Flemming
          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
              this is VERY IT, for me at last.

              Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:

              > Yesterday I received from a friend a link for an audio clip of a
              > "virtual haircut" that demonstrates some great immersive effects. The
              > experience was so pleasant and so impressive that I would love to share
              > with you guys. My apologise for those who don't like OT messages... give
              > it a try, you will enjoy it! :-)
              >
              > A pair of headphones is mandatory for the experience - using speakers
              > will spoil it. Use the better headphones you can.
              >
              > Put on the headphones, set up a decent volume (a slightly higher volume
              > will make it more effective), then just hit the play button. Keeping the
              > eyes closed is mandatory too! The beginning is not extraordinary, but
              > expect some wild sensations latter on. It's a 5 min ride.
              >
              > http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/
              > <http://david-heron.me.uk/blog/2007/04/08/virtual-barbershop/>
              >
              > I have no idea of what's the trick for recording such effects... but I
              > wonder how would it feel to have this kind of enviromental sounds within
              > panoramas!
              >
              > Hope you enjoy it!
              >
              > Fabio.

            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                Hi Flemming,

                > "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
                > by Iron Butterfly.
                What a synergy, Flemming. Just when i finished writing this I thought of
                this very song! I looked it up on youtube.com and found lots of samples.

                Cheers, Milko

                --
                Milko Amorth
                360° Immersive Imaging
                Photographic Virtual Reality
                VRCanada.ca
                604.561.5101
                Skype me @ vrdundee
                Member of IVRPA.org
              • Andrew Nemeth
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Milko Amorth wrote:

                  > No effects. Binaural stereo sound. 2 micro phones in each ear
                  > of a dummy head, really.

                  Milko is right. If you have lotsa money, get "Fritz" (Neuman KU100):

                  <http://www.coutant.org/ku100.html>

                  But I'm cheap, so I use tiny microphones clipped to the arms of my
                  sunglasses next to my ears. Not as spatially 3D-accurate as "Fritz",
                  but good enough for sounds located > 4m away.

                  Back in the dark ages I used to use Coresound binaural mics:

                  <http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php>

                  ... good for loud stuff, but useless for natural recordings (poor
                  self-noise characteristics).

                  Consequently, about six years ago I made my own rig using a pair of DPA
                  4060-BM miniature mics:

                  <http://www.dpamicrophones.com/module.php?MID=101&itemid=4060-
                  BM&PID=&function=pdescription>

                  Much better noise-floor dB.

                  Now that I am no longer doing VR and have a real job which pays real
                  money..., I plan on eventually upgrading my sound rig to a fully
                  solid-state 24-bit recorder and a pair of much better compact mics.

                  Regds,

                  Andrew N.
                  <http://nemeng.com>
                  Blue Mountains Australia