Re: new TED video posted about Photosynth

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2007
      That was a good laugh! I love those promotional texts about standing
      ovations for a demo. One could ask if they just not had enough seats ;-)
      In fact modern computers tend to use huge amounts of their power just to
      run that astonishing new operating system and a buggy office app. And
      the industrie wants us to buy even more powerful computers for their
      next generation of bloated apps.

      Diving into a newspaper's ad as demonstrated here is only possible if
      it's the ad of the sponsor and you happen to have access to all the high
      resolution print data. The cathedral's front is one of the most
      photographed buildings, but there's no way (yet) to generate an object
      movie that shows the facade from all directions. The gnome is one of the
      famous features and that's why you have that interesting detail
      somewhere on flickr. The statue two meters on the left will be just
      another blurry spot. Highly interesting and nice to see but IMHO just as
      relevant as the technology earlier demo'ed in Blade Runner (still one of
      my favourite movies). "Zoom in... Stop. Left. More detail..."

      Highlighting those tourist attractions might also lead to blind spots in
      different areas of the world. What if we didn't have people like Mickael
      Therer who show us those other parts of our world?
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/panoramic/page/0,,1869994,00.html

      I also love the World Wide Panorama on
      http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp/ for making us all aware of topics
      every new quarter of the year, it's not just pretty pictures. It's the
      story behind it.

      It gives me the shivers when I think that maybe images from 9/11 might
      have been used for such a demo.

      Carl

      > http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129
      > From the TED introduction:
      > Using photos of oft-snapped subjects (like Notre Dame)
      > scraped from around the Web, Photosynth creates breathtaking
      > multidimensional spaces with zoom and navigation features that
      > outstrip all expectation. Its architect, Blaise Aguera y Arcas,
      > shows it off in this standing-ovation demo. Curious about
      > that speck in corner? Dive into a freefall and watch as
      > the speck becomes a gargoyle. With an unpleasant grimace.
      > And an ant-sized chip in its lower left molar. "Perhaps
      > the most amazing demo I've seen this year," wrote Ethan Zuckerman,
      > after TED2007. Indeed, Photosynth might utterly transform
      > the way we manipulate and experience digital images.
    • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
        > Many of you will be interested in this new 7 minute online video.
        > http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129

        It's a panorama viewer on steroids. I like it a lot.
        They even offer a firefox plugin and it's smooth as can be.

        They must have had a really smart approach on streaming imagery.

        It does not give the same experience as a panorama viewer imho. A panorama
        viewer can give you a real immersive feeling (provided your display is big
        enough). The type of viewing of this viewer makes you much more eager to
        start exploring a scene.

        A thing it misses is an indication of the quality of a view. After zooming
        in a few times in vain you might give up trying quickly.

        serge.