RAW processing with Lightroom gives inconsistent results

  • Justin Imhoff
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30 8:26 PM
      Just wondering if anyone might know how to get around this little problem.

      I've been batch processing my photos with Adobe Lightroom, which I thought was really great until I noticed inconsistent results when altering exposures.

      I shoot in manual mode so that the exposure is the same for each one. If I apply the same exposure adjustment in Lightroom to each of these shots I get different brightness levels depending on how much light is in the shot to begin with. For example if I change the exposure of each shot in a single pano +1 in Lightroom, a shot which has the sun in it will brighten much more than the next shot which doesnt have the sun. I then have to go and adjust each shot by eye to make them all consistent before I can stitch. This doesnt make sense to me. I thought that the exposure adjustment would create a consistent result, just like adjusting the exposure level in the camera itself!

      Is there another way of doing this that is more effective?

      Thanks for any feedback.

      Justin

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30 10:48 PM
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Imhoff" <junglejuz@...> wrote:

        > Just wondering if anyone might know how to get around this little problem.
        >
        > I've been batch processing my photos with Adobe Lightroom, which I thought was really
        great until I noticed inconsistent results when altering exposures.

        > I shoot in manual mode so that the exposure is the same for each one. If I apply the
        >change the exposure of each shot in a single pano +1 in Lightroom, a shot which has the
        >sun in it will brighten much more than the next shot which doesnt have the sun. I then
        >have to go and adjust each shot by eye to make them all consistent before I can stitch.
        >This doesnt make sense to me. I thought that the exposure adjustment would create a
        >consistent result, just like adjusting the exposure level in the camera itself!

        As far as I remember the Lightroom has the same adjustment sliders for recovery and fill
        light as in CS3.
        Do not use them.
        I was very enthusiastic in the first trials about these new toos but I soon discovered that if
        you syncronize all images with these 2 sliders in the same position you get different
        brightness in the areas they affect.
        Exactly as you describe.

        Hans
        www.panoramas.dk
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30 10:54 PM
          On Thu, 31 May 2007 14:48:37 +0900, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Imhoff" <junglejuz@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Just wondering if anyone might know how to get around this little
          >> problem.
          >>
          >> I've been batch processing my photos with Adobe Lightroom, which I
          >> thought was really
          > great until I noticed inconsistent results when altering exposures.

          ---deletion---

          > As far as I remember the Lightroom has the same adjustment sliders for
          > recovery and fill light as in CS3.

          > Do not use them.

          > I was very enthusiastic in the first trials about these new tools but I
          > soon discovered that if
          > you syncronize all images with these 2 sliders in the same position you
          > get different brightness in the areas they affect.

          > Exactly as you describe.

          They are GREAT tools for individual images, but not if you want to go
          on to stitch them into a panorama.

          Roger

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 8 , May 30 11:04 PM
            On 31/05/2007, at 02:48, Hans Nyberg wrote:

            > As far as I remember the Lightroom has the same adjustment sliders
            > for recovery and fill
            > light as in CS3.
            > Do not use them.
            > I was very enthusiastic in the first trials about these new toos
            > but I soon discovered that if
            > you syncronize all images with these 2 sliders in the same position
            > you get different
            > brightness in the areas they affect.
            > Exactly as you describe.

            Woowwww
            This is new to me !
            Thanks for sharing the info Hans.
            I was having some problems but did not realize what was going on ...
            now i know. Thanks
            Ayrton

            > Hans
            > www.panoramas.dk
          • dorindxn
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31 1:07 AM
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "- AYRTON - (avi)" <avi@...>
              wrote:

              > On 31/05/2007, at 02:48, Hans Nyberg wrote:
              >
              > > As far as I remember the Lightroom has the same adjustment
              sliders
              > > for recovery and fill
              > > light as in CS3.
              > > Do not use them.
              > > I was very enthusiastic in the first trials about these new toos
              > > but I soon discovered that if
              > > you syncronize all images with these 2 sliders in the same
              position
              > > you get different
              > > brightness in the areas they affect.
              > > Exactly as you describe.
              >
              > Woowwww
              > This is new to me !
              > Thanks for sharing the info Hans.
              > I was having some problems but did not realize what was going on ...
              > now i know.

              I've experienced that too in RawShooter essentials (RSE) some time
              ago when I considerred RSE very usefull in my workflow but then I
              discovered that will be discontinued and I don't use it further on.
              The explanation of different effect of same position of the sliders
              was in fact due to picture dependend facility turned on (some details
              recovery or smth) so I investigate and uncheck all that seems to be
              picture dependent and the sincronisation works ok.

              hope that helps
              Dorin
            • Justin Imhoff
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31 5:10 AM
                Hans,

                Is there anything you would suggest using instead to achieve this purpose?

                > Just wondering if anyone might know how to get around this little problem.
                >
                > I've been batch processing my photos with Adobe Lightroom, which I thought was really
                great until I noticed inconsistent results when altering exposures.

                > I shoot in manual mode so that the exposure is the same for each one. If I apply the
                >change the exposure of each shot in a single pano +1 in Lightroom, a shot which has the
                >sun in it will brighten much more than the next shot which doesnt have the sun. I then
                >have to go and adjust each shot by eye to make them all consistent before I can stitch.
                >This doesnt make sense to me. I thought that the exposure adjustment would create a
                >consistent result, just like adjusting the exposure level in the camera itself!

                As far as I remember the Lightroom has the same adjustment sliders for recovery and fill
                light as in CS3.
                Do not use them.
                I was very enthusiastic in the first trials about these new toos but I soon discovered that if
                you syncronize all images with these 2 sliders in the same position you get different
                brightness in the areas they affect.
                Exactly as you describe.

                Hans
                www.panoramas.dk

              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31 5:41 AM
                  On 31 May 2007, at 13:10, Justin Imhoff wrote:

                  > Is there anything you would suggest using instead to achieve this
                  > purpose?

                  Just make sure that you only use 'global' adjustments such as
                  exposure, curves, levels etc. and not 'local' adjustments such as
                  highlight/shadow recovery or high-radius USM.

                  As long as there's some tonal detail in the shadow and highlight
                  areas you can always make further adjustments after stitching.

                  Ian
                • Eric O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                    On May 30, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Justin Imhoff wrote:

                    > Just wondering if anyone might know how to get around this little
                    > problem.
                    >
                    > I've been batch processing my photos with Adobe Lightroom, which I
                    > thought was really great until I noticed inconsistent results when
                    > altering exposures.
                    >
                    > I shoot in manual mode so that the exposure is the same for each
                    > one. If I apply the same exposure adjustment in Lightroom to each
                    > of these shots I get different brightness levels depending on how
                    > much light is in the shot to begin with.

                    Personally, I'm not seeing this happening. Exactly how are you
                    "applying the same exposure adjustments" the the multiple images?
                    (Interestingly, I just discovered that when you have multiple images
                    selected and change a setting like exposure, in in the Library module
                    ALL images are affected. Do the same in the Develop module and only
                    the "most selected" image is changed. Hmm.)

                    > For example if I change the exposure of each shot in a single pano
                    > +1 in Lightroom, a shot which has the sun in it will brighten much
                    > more than the next shot which doesnt have the sun.

                    Are you seeing this in Lightroom, before you export?

                    > I then have to go and adjust each shot by eye to make them all
                    > consistent before I can stitch.

                    Where are you doing this adjustment? Lightroom? Photoshop?

                    > This doesnt make sense to me. I thought that the exposure
                    > adjustment would create a consistent result, just like adjusting
                    > the exposure level in the camera itself!

                    Doesn't make sense to me either. But like I said, "This doesn't
                    happen for me." ;)

                    Things to consider:

                    If you aren't using the "Sync Settings" feature to apply the settings
                    of one image to all the others, I think that you probably *should*
                    be. If you are / when you do... make sure to sync ONLY "exposure."
                    That is turn OFF all the other 21 or so checkboxes.

                    Plus, make sure you don't inadvertently click and "Auto" buttons!
                    (Do not of course, adjust any other setting for only some of the
                    images in a single panorama.)

                    If you're changing the exposure in Quick Develop, you might want to
                    switch to the full Develop window. I don't know that it behaves any
                    differently, but at least in Develop you can see the numbers for all
                    the settings.