Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Google Maps Street View

  • Milko Amorth
    Message 1 of 25 , May 30, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      > must be a ladybug like web cam array in a circle
      I just read on digital urban a blog entry about it and found the producer
      of these images.
      http://www.immersivemedia.com

      I very much doubt however this cam was used. I counted 8 increments per
      node with limited vfov.
      They must have used a different one to get what they call full screen
      resolution.
      Their immersive 360° videos look actually better blended then what is to
      see in Google maps.

      nuf,said about that.

      Cheers, Milko

      --
      Milko Amorth
      360° Immersive Imaging
      Message 2 of 25 , May 30, 2007
        On 29 May 2007 at 23:58, Bernhard Vogl wrote:

        > Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
        > in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)

        Yes, it's definitely interesting.
        But I wish Google spent some more time on updating their maps for both Google Maps and
        Google Earth, and was less US-centric. Such new pano technology is completely useless for
        areas like where I live, in Southern Norway. You can't even see where the streets are on
        the Google maps/aerials :(

      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 25 , May 30, 2007
          This is also unfortunately true for Austria. There are only a few areas in high resolution, notably Vienna and Salzbug. Almost the complete Alps are missing (which would be very nice to remotely explore the mountains and do some virtual tour planning).
          Also, it is a pity that popular services like GE tend to cause a "Microsoft-Effect", which means, almost all other developments immediately start to decay, regardless if they are good or not.
          Just like the Austrian 3D Project by DORIS which clearly was ahead of it's time and now nearly disappeared:
          http://doris.ooe.gv.at/geoinformation/3d/intro.asp

          Best regards
          Bernhard

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
          Datum: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:55:45 +0200
          Von: "Bjørn K Nilssen" <bk@...>
          An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          Betreff: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Google Maps Street View

          > On 29 May 2007 at 23:58, Bernhard Vogl wrote:
          >
          > > Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
          > > in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)
          >
          > Yes, it's definitely interesting.
          > But I wish Google spent some more time on updating their maps for both
          > Google Maps and
          > Google Earth, and was less US-centric. Such new pano technology is
          > completely useless for
          > areas like where I live, in Southern Norway. You can't even see where the
          > streets are on
          > the Google maps/aerials :(
        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 25 , May 30, 2007
            ...to be more exact (and do the DORIS team justice): the data is still here, but not in 3D any more AFAIK - e.g.:
            http://194.48.48.55/viewer/init.aspx?hotspot=alk|of|1:1000|34974|308905|0|Paddle%20Steamer%20Gisela

            Best regards
            Bernhard
            -------- Original-Nachricht --------
            Datum: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:12:14 +0200
            Von: "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...>
            An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

            > This is also unfortunately true for Austria. There are only a few areas in
            > high resolution, notably Vienna and Salzbug. Almost the complete Alps are
            > missing (which would be very nice to remotely explore the mountains and do
            > some virtual tour planning).
            > Also, it is a pity that popular services like GE tend to cause a
            > "Microsoft-Effect", which means, almost all other developments immediately start to
            > decay, regardless if they are good or not.
            > Just like the Austrian 3D Project by DORIS which clearly was ahead of it's
            > time and now nearly disappeared:
            > http://doris.ooe.gv.at/geoinformation/3d/intro.asp
            >
            > Best regards
            > Bernhard
          • 3rw1n
            Message 5 of 25 , May 30, 2007
              Hello everyone,

              I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
              Bordeaux.

              Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/

              Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !

              Cheers,

              Erwin
            • Marcel Geers
              Message 6 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                Hi there! I really enjoyed it. Could you explain how you expose your
                pictures such that the sun came out as it did in such a spherical
                panorama?

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "3rw1n" <3rw1n@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated
                blimp in
                > Bordeaux.
                >
                > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                >
                > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Erwin

              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel Geers" <mpageers@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there! I really enjoyed it. Could you explain how you expose your
                  > pictures such that the sun came out as it did in such a spherical
                  > panorama?

                  maybe the picture of Sun was taked after a time or before (or put in
                  PP), I saw some trees having both shadow and the Sun on the same side.

                  A very good pano, bit more attention on patching of the zenith.

                  thanks for sharing,
                  Dorin
                • John Armstrong-Millar
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                    On 30/5/07 15:16, "3rw1n" <3rw1n@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone,
                    >
                    > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                    > Bordeaux.
                    >
                    > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                    >
                    > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Erwin
                    >

                    > Great..
                    > I love that flare, makes it look like a video feed,also the reflection off the
                    > water really sparkles. The ere a few strange bits here and there but otherwise
                    > very nice. Like the graphics on your site.
                    >
                    > Phew.. That¹s enough I think...
                    >
                    > J.

                  • Dave Thomson
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                      It's beautiful. How did you stabilize the blimp to get the pano? Do you have some sort of rotating mount and remote control for the camera?
                      Dave

                      > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                      > Bordeaux.
                      >
                      > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                      >
                      > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Erwin
                      >

                      > Great..
                      > I love that flare, makes it look like a video feed,also the reflection off the
                      > water really sparkles. The ere a few strange bits here and there but otherwise
                      > very nice. Like the graphics on your site.
                      >
                      > Phew.. That¹s enough I think...
                      >
                      > J.

                    • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 31, 2007
                        > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp
                        > in Bordeaux.

                        > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/

                        Very nice, how did you manage to shoot the zenith? It does not look like
                        you shot it from the ground.

                        One suggestion: your horizon is not level. Try adjusting the pitch and/or
                        roll until it's right.

                        Serge.
                      • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                          Check out this Paris 3d view:

                          http://v3d.pagesjaunes.fr/paris/

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                          Carlos Chegado

                          Olho de Peixe Lda

                          ====================================

                          ====================================

                        • Sacha Griffin
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                            That’s an amazing concept destroyed by a terrible user interface. I imagined
                            flying to every cool spot and taking a quick look around.. but no.

                            Everything change in viewpoint takes ages.

                            Not that it couldn’t be fixed.. plus the data doesn’t update correctly if
                            you are actively flying with keys.

                            Sacha Griffin
                            www.southern-digital.com
                            www.seeit360.net
                            www.ezphotosafe.com
                            404-551-4275
                            404-731-7798

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                              Well, that was fun! I flew through the Eiffel Tower. Literally. Right
                              through the second level observation deck. It was also fun seeing my old
                              neighborhood. The 3D view let me circle around our old apartment and
                              actually see my bedroom window! Still, I prefer the navigation of Google
                              Earth. It just seems more intuitive.

                              Thanks for the link!

                              Mark

                              www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>