Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Google Maps Street View

  • Milko Amorth
    Message 1 of 25 , May 30, 2007
      Hi Luca,

      > I don't like is the mirrored sphere nadir.
      I would rather see spherical panos with a sphere nadir cap than badly
      blended cylindricals like in the google map demo.
      There is really no need to do that. Technology is far more advanced as
      they try to convey.
      First glance I thought of mirror shots, but even those would be better. It
      must be a ladybug like web cam array in a circle. Some nodes are really
      out of wack and you see all the blend errors. Check out some of the steep
      hills in SF. The pitched nodes are annoying and weird looking. With a
      little know how this could have been avoided. Or, they could have at least
      used the Agnos Event Cam to do this :-))

      Ciao,
      Milko

      --
      Milko Amorth
      360° Immersive Imaging
      Message 2 of 25 , May 30, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "briarbentley" <briar_bentley@...>
        wrote:
        Are you going to be making this available to other people at all?

        G'day Brian, I have heaps of plans for this, one of which would be to
        make the tools (which don't exist at present) available for others to
        do this with their panos. There are a few sites out there at present
        doing something along these lines, although I don't have any URL's, sorry.

        The main thing stopping all my plans from becoming reality is.... time
        & money, it's not quick, easy or cheap to develop this sort of stuff :)

        Thanks, Aaron.
      • Aaron Spence
        Message 3 of 25 , May 30, 2007
          > Superb. Have not seen it on any of the Goople map blogs yet.

          Thanks Milko, I only released it for public consumption today in light
          of Google changing the playing field quite dramatically. It's only a
          look and feel demo I'm using to demonstrate some concepts to clients I
          hope to pick up. Having said that, if I can land the clients I'm
          after, I'll have the time & money to fulfill all my plans for this site :)

          Thanks again, Aaron.
        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 25 , May 30, 2007
            Hi Guys,

            > must be a ladybug like web cam array in a circle
            I just read on digital urban a blog entry about it and found the producer
            of these images.
            http://www.immersivemedia.com

            I very much doubt however this cam was used. I counted 8 increments per
            node with limited vfov.
            They must have used a different one to get what they call full screen
            resolution.
            Their immersive 360° videos look actually better blended then what is to
            see in Google maps.

            nuf,said about that.

            Cheers, Milko

            --
            Milko Amorth
            360° Immersive Imaging
            Photographic Virtual Reality
            VRCanada.ca
            604.561.5101
            Skype me @ vrdundee
            Member of IVRPA.org
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 25 , May 30, 2007
              On 29 May 2007 at 23:58, Bernhard Vogl wrote:

              > Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
              > in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)

              Yes, it's definitely interesting.
              But I wish Google spent some more time on updating their maps for both Google Maps and
              Google Earth, and was less US-centric. Such new pano technology is completely useless for
              areas like where I live, in Southern Norway. You can't even see where the streets are on
              the Google maps/aerials :(

            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                This is also unfortunately true for Austria. There are only a few areas in high resolution, notably Vienna and Salzbug. Almost the complete Alps are missing (which would be very nice to remotely explore the mountains and do some virtual tour planning).
                Also, it is a pity that popular services like GE tend to cause a "Microsoft-Effect", which means, almost all other developments immediately start to decay, regardless if they are good or not.
                Just like the Austrian 3D Project by DORIS which clearly was ahead of it's time and now nearly disappeared:
                http://doris.ooe.gv.at/geoinformation/3d/intro.asp

                Best regards
                Bernhard

                -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                Datum: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:55:45 +0200
                Von: "Bjørn K Nilssen" <bk@...>
                An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                Betreff: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Google Maps Street View

                > On 29 May 2007 at 23:58, Bernhard Vogl wrote:
                >
                > > Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
                > > in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)
                >
                > Yes, it's definitely interesting.
                > But I wish Google spent some more time on updating their maps for both
                > Google Maps and
                > Google Earth, and was less US-centric. Such new pano technology is
                > completely useless for
                > areas like where I live, in Southern Norway. You can't even see where the
                > streets are on
                > the Google maps/aerials :(
              • Bernhard Vogl
                Message 7 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                  ...to be more exact (and do the DORIS team justice): the data is still here, but not in 3D any more AFAIK - e.g.:
                  http://194.48.48.55/viewer/init.aspx?hotspot=alk|of|1:1000|34974|308905|0|Paddle%20Steamer%20Gisela

                  Best regards
                  Bernhard
                  -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                  Datum: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:12:14 +0200
                  Von: "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...>
                  An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                  > This is also unfortunately true for Austria. There are only a few areas in
                  > high resolution, notably Vienna and Salzbug. Almost the complete Alps are
                  > missing (which would be very nice to remotely explore the mountains and do
                  > some virtual tour planning).
                  > Also, it is a pity that popular services like GE tend to cause a
                  > "Microsoft-Effect", which means, almost all other developments immediately start to
                  > decay, regardless if they are good or not.
                  > Just like the Austrian 3D Project by DORIS which clearly was ahead of it's
                  > time and now nearly disappeared:
                  > http://doris.ooe.gv.at/geoinformation/3d/intro.asp
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  > Bernhard
                • 3rw1n
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                    Hello everyone,

                    I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                    Bordeaux.

                    Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/

                    Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !

                    Cheers,

                    Erwin
                  • Marcel Geers
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                      Hi there! I really enjoyed it. Could you explain how you expose your
                      pictures such that the sun came out as it did in such a spherical
                      panorama?

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "3rw1n" <3rw1n@...> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated
                      blimp in
                      > Bordeaux.
                      >
                      > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                      >
                      > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Erwin

                    • dorindxn
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel Geers" <mpageers@...> wrote:

                        > Hi there! I really enjoyed it. Could you explain how you expose your
                        > pictures such that the sun came out as it did in such a spherical
                        > panorama?

                        maybe the picture of Sun was taked after a time or before (or put in
                        PP), I saw some trees having both shadow and the Sun on the same side.

                        A very good pano, bit more attention on patching of the zenith.

                        thanks for sharing,
                        Dorin
                      • John Armstrong-Millar
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                          On 30/5/07 15:16, "3rw1n" <3rw1n@...> wrote:

                          > Hello everyone,
                          >
                          > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                          > Bordeaux.
                          >
                          > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                          >
                          > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Erwin
                          >

                          > Great..
                          > I love that flare, makes it look like a video feed,also the reflection off the
                          > water really sparkles. The ere a few strange bits here and there but otherwise
                          > very nice. Like the graphics on your site.
                          >
                          > Phew.. That¹s enough I think...
                          >
                          > J.

                        • Dave Thomson
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 30, 2007
                            It's beautiful. How did you stabilize the blimp to get the pano? Do you have some sort of rotating mount and remote control for the camera?
                            Dave

                            > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                            > Bordeaux.
                            >
                            > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                            >
                            > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Erwin
                            >

                            > Great..
                            > I love that flare, makes it look like a video feed,also the reflection off the
                            > water really sparkles. The ere a few strange bits here and there but otherwise
                            > very nice. Like the graphics on your site.
                            >
                            > Phew.. That¹s enough I think...
                            >
                            > J.

                          • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 31, 2007
                              > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp
                              > in Bordeaux.

                              > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/

                              Very nice, how did you manage to shoot the zenith? It does not look like
                              you shot it from the ground.

                              One suggestion: your horizon is not level. Try adjusting the pitch and/or
                              roll until it's right.

                              Serge.
                            • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                                Check out this Paris 3d view:

                                http://v3d.pagesjaunes.fr/paris/

                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                Carlos Chegado

                                Olho de Peixe Lda

                                ====================================

                                ====================================

                              • Sacha Griffin
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                                  That’s an amazing concept destroyed by a terrible user interface. I imagined
                                  flying to every cool spot and taking a quick look around.. but no.

                                  Everything change in viewpoint takes ages.

                                  Not that it couldn’t be fixed.. plus the data doesn’t update correctly if
                                  you are actively flying with keys.

                                  Sacha Griffin
                                  www.southern-digital.com
                                  www.seeit360.net
                                  www.ezphotosafe.com
                                  404-551-4275
                                  404-731-7798

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                                    Well, that was fun! I flew through the Eiffel Tower. Literally. Right
                                    through the second level observation deck. It was also fun seeing my old
                                    neighborhood. The 3D view let me circle around our old apartment and
                                    actually see my bedroom window! Still, I prefer the navigation of Google
                                    Earth. It just seems more intuitive.

                                    Thanks for the link!

                                    Mark

                                    www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>