Google Maps Street View

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 25 , May 29 1:26 PM
      Google have added a new feature to their mapping pages that places loads
      of panoramic images on the map, in the form of a huge virtual tour.
      There are only a few cities done at the moment, but it certainly looks
      interesting
      <http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=94111&ie=UTF8&om=0&layer=c&cbll=\
      37.78327,-122.4027&cbp=1,360,0.49233769706185,0&gl=us&ll=37.796492,-122.\
      390614&spn=0.044424,0.079823&z=14> . I haven't checked yet, but I
      wouldn't be surprised if something appeared in their API to allow people
      to use this method on their own web pages with their own panos.

      Phil

    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 25 , May 29 2:09 PM
        This is way cool. http://tinyurl.com/23dabr For the amount of streets
        maps these are quite hi res. Interesting that they only download the
        direction pointing. If you turn around it will download as needed. Any
        idea how to fix the pan controls? Left and right is reversed! The mouse
        is also sluggish but keyboard pans pretty smooth.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • Milko Amorth
        Message 3 of 25 , May 29 2:28 PM
          I figured they would have something in the cooker. For weeks they would
          not fix the object embeding save bug to embed quicktime and keep saying we
          will fix it. All maps allowed to do was images and video. Quicktime would
          embed and play but not save. Did not make a lot of sense. This now
          explains it. Looks like the took mirror images in a linear fashion,
          perhaps even video. The resolution is low and quality is blurry. They
          should fix the bug and see real qualityVR in my maps......

          Cheers, Milko

          --
          Milko Amorth
          360° Immersive Imaging
          Message 4 of 25 , May 29 2:40 PM
            > They
            > should fix the bug and see real qualityVR in my maps......

            Just did another test with qtvr. It plays but I still can't save it.

            Cheers,
            --
            Milko Amorth
            360° Immersive Imaging
            Photographic Virtual Reality
            VRCanada.ca
            604.561.5101
            Skype me @ vrdundee
            Member of IVRPA.org
          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 25 , May 29 2:58 PM
              Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
              in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)

              Best regards
              Bernhard

              Jim Watters schrieb:
              > This is way cool. http://tinyurl.com/23dabr For the amount of streets
              > maps these are quite hi res. Interesting that they only download the
              > direction pointing. If you turn around it will download as needed. Any
              > idea how to fix the pan controls? Left and right is reversed! The mouse
              > is also sluggish but keyboard pans pretty smooth.
              >
              > Jim

            • Aaron Spence
              Message 6 of 25 , May 29 6:34 PM
                This is very, very cool.

                I've been working on a demo project that does this to a degree, just
                much much higher quality, and not on roads. Let me know what you think.

                http://www.pano.com.au/panedia - this is a technology demo only.

                Thanks,

                Aaron.
                http://pano.com.au/blog
              • briarbentley
                Message 7 of 25 , May 29 10:48 PM
                  This is really cool, I have been trying to follow what people have been
                  doing with devalvr and jatc without too much success. Are you going to
                  be making this available to other people at all? BriarNZ--- In
                  PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Spence" <aaron@...> wrote:

                  > This is very, very cool.
                  >
                  > I've been working on a demo project that does this to a degree, just
                  > much much higher quality, and not on roads. Let me know what you
                  think.

                  > http://www.pano.com.au/panedia - this is a technology demo only.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Aaron.
                  > http://pano.com.au/blog

                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 29 11:56 PM
                    Nice!!!
                    The only thing I don't like is the mirrored sphere nadir.
                    ;-)

                    Aaron Spence ha scritto:

                    > This is very, very cool.
                    >
                    > I've been working on a demo project that does this to a degree, just
                    > much much higher quality, and not on roads. Let me know what you think.
                    >
                    > http://www.pano.com.au/panedia <http://www.pano.com.au/panedia> - this
                    > is a technology demo only.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Aaron.
                    > http://pano.com.au/blog <http://pano.com.au/blog>

                  • Milko Amorth
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 30 1:27 AM
                      Hi Aaron,

                      > Let me know what you think.
                      Superb. Have not seen it on any of the Goople map blogs yet. You should
                      submit that, if you have not done it already.
                      Google can take an example of that. Great work.
                      Cheers, Milko

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 30 2:01 AM
                        Hi Luca,

                        > I don't like is the mirrored sphere nadir.
                        I would rather see spherical panos with a sphere nadir cap than badly
                        blended cylindricals like in the google map demo.
                        There is really no need to do that. Technology is far more advanced as
                        they try to convey.
                        First glance I thought of mirror shots, but even those would be better. It
                        must be a ladybug like web cam array in a circle. Some nodes are really
                        out of wack and you see all the blend errors. Check out some of the steep
                        hills in SF. The pitched nodes are annoying and weird looking. With a
                        little know how this could have been avoided. Or, they could have at least
                        used the Agnos Event Cam to do this :-))

                        Ciao,
                        Milko

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 30 2:49 AM
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "briarbentley" <briar_bentley@...>
                          wrote:
                          Are you going to be making this available to other people at all?

                          G'day Brian, I have heaps of plans for this, one of which would be to
                          make the tools (which don't exist at present) available for others to
                          do this with their panos. There are a few sites out there at present
                          doing something along these lines, although I don't have any URL's, sorry.

                          The main thing stopping all my plans from becoming reality is.... time
                          & money, it's not quick, easy or cheap to develop this sort of stuff :)

                          Thanks, Aaron.
                        • Aaron Spence
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 30 2:53 AM
                            > Superb. Have not seen it on any of the Goople map blogs yet.

                            Thanks Milko, I only released it for public consumption today in light
                            of Google changing the playing field quite dramatically. It's only a
                            look and feel demo I'm using to demonstrate some concepts to clients I
                            hope to pick up. Having said that, if I can land the clients I'm
                            after, I'll have the time & money to fulfill all my plans for this site :)

                            Thanks again, Aaron.
                          • Milko Amorth
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 30 3:08 AM
                              Hi Guys,

                              > must be a ladybug like web cam array in a circle
                              I just read on digital urban a blog entry about it and found the producer
                              of these images.
                              http://www.immersivemedia.com

                              I very much doubt however this cam was used. I counted 8 increments per
                              node with limited vfov.
                              They must have used a different one to get what they call full screen
                              resolution.
                              Their immersive 360° videos look actually better blended then what is to
                              see in Google maps.

                              nuf,said about that.

                              Cheers, Milko

                              --
                              Milko Amorth
                              360° Immersive Imaging
                              Photographic Virtual Reality
                              VRCanada.ca
                              604.561.5101
                              Skype me @ vrdundee
                              Member of IVRPA.org
                            • Bjørn K Nilssen
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 30 3:55 AM
                                On 29 May 2007 at 23:58, Bernhard Vogl wrote:

                                > Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
                                > in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)

                                Yes, it's definitely interesting.
                                But I wish Google spent some more time on updating their maps for both Google Maps and
                                Google Earth, and was less US-centric. Such new pano technology is completely useless for
                                areas like where I live, in Southern Norway. You can't even see where the streets are on
                                the Google maps/aerials :(

                              • Bernhard Vogl
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 30 5:12 AM
                                  This is also unfortunately true for Austria. There are only a few areas in high resolution, notably Vienna and Salzbug. Almost the complete Alps are missing (which would be very nice to remotely explore the mountains and do some virtual tour planning).
                                  Also, it is a pity that popular services like GE tend to cause a "Microsoft-Effect", which means, almost all other developments immediately start to decay, regardless if they are good or not.
                                  Just like the Austrian 3D Project by DORIS which clearly was ahead of it's time and now nearly disappeared:
                                  http://doris.ooe.gv.at/geoinformation/3d/intro.asp

                                  Best regards
                                  Bernhard

                                  -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                                  Datum: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:55:45 +0200
                                  Von: "Bjørn K Nilssen" <bk@...>
                                  An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                  Betreff: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Google Maps Street View

                                  > On 29 May 2007 at 23:58, Bernhard Vogl wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Yes, very cool! A few minutes ago, i went by car behind an old Mercedes
                                  > > in the Ofarrell Street. Now i' back in Vienna :-)
                                  >
                                  > Yes, it's definitely interesting.
                                  > But I wish Google spent some more time on updating their maps for both
                                  > Google Maps and
                                  > Google Earth, and was less US-centric. Such new pano technology is
                                  > completely useless for
                                  > areas like where I live, in Southern Norway. You can't even see where the
                                  > streets are on
                                  > the Google maps/aerials :(
                                • Bernhard Vogl
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 30 5:54 AM
                                    ...to be more exact (and do the DORIS team justice): the data is still here, but not in 3D any more AFAIK - e.g.:
                                    http://194.48.48.55/viewer/init.aspx?hotspot=alk|of|1:1000|34974|308905|0|Paddle%20Steamer%20Gisela

                                    Best regards
                                    Bernhard
                                    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                                    Datum: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:12:14 +0200
                                    Von: "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...>
                                    An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                                    > This is also unfortunately true for Austria. There are only a few areas in
                                    > high resolution, notably Vienna and Salzbug. Almost the complete Alps are
                                    > missing (which would be very nice to remotely explore the mountains and do
                                    > some virtual tour planning).
                                    > Also, it is a pity that popular services like GE tend to cause a
                                    > "Microsoft-Effect", which means, almost all other developments immediately start to
                                    > decay, regardless if they are good or not.
                                    > Just like the Austrian 3D Project by DORIS which clearly was ahead of it's
                                    > time and now nearly disappeared:
                                    > http://doris.ooe.gv.at/geoinformation/3d/intro.asp
                                    >
                                    > Best regards
                                    > Bernhard
                                  • 3rw1n
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 30 6:16 AM
                                      Hello everyone,

                                      I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                                      Bordeaux.

                                      Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/

                                      Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !

                                      Cheers,

                                      Erwin
                                    • Marcel Geers
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 30 7:16 AM
                                        Hi there! I really enjoyed it. Could you explain how you expose your
                                        pictures such that the sun came out as it did in such a spherical
                                        panorama?

                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "3rw1n" <3rw1n@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello everyone,
                                        >
                                        > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated
                                        blimp in
                                        > Bordeaux.
                                        >
                                        > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                                        >
                                        > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                                        >
                                        > Cheers,
                                        >
                                        > Erwin

                                      • dorindxn
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 30 7:27 AM
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel Geers" <mpageers@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi there! I really enjoyed it. Could you explain how you expose your
                                          > pictures such that the sun came out as it did in such a spherical
                                          > panorama?

                                          maybe the picture of Sun was taked after a time or before (or put in
                                          PP), I saw some trees having both shadow and the Sun on the same side.

                                          A very good pano, bit more attention on patching of the zenith.

                                          thanks for sharing,
                                          Dorin
                                        • John Armstrong-Millar
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 30 7:35 AM
                                            On 30/5/07 15:16, "3rw1n" <3rw1n@...> wrote:

                                            > Hello everyone,
                                            >
                                            > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                                            > Bordeaux.
                                            >
                                            > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                                            >
                                            > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            >
                                            > Erwin
                                            >

                                            > Great..
                                            > I love that flare, makes it look like a video feed,also the reflection off the
                                            > water really sparkles. The ere a few strange bits here and there but otherwise
                                            > very nice. Like the graphics on your site.
                                            >
                                            > Phew.. That¹s enough I think...
                                            >
                                            > J.

                                          • Dave Thomson
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 30 4:17 PM
                                              It's beautiful. How did you stabilize the blimp to get the pano? Do you have some sort of rotating mount and remote control for the camera?
                                              Dave

                                              > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp in
                                              > Bordeaux.
                                              >
                                              > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/
                                              >
                                              > Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome !
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              >
                                              > Erwin
                                              >

                                              > Great..
                                              > I love that flare, makes it look like a video feed,also the reflection off the
                                              > water really sparkles. The ere a few strange bits here and there but otherwise
                                              > very nice. Like the graphics on your site.
                                              >
                                              > Phew.. That¹s enough I think...
                                              >
                                              > J.

                                            • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 31 3:09 PM
                                                > I'd like to show you a pano I made last week with a helium inflated blimp
                                                > in Bordeaux.

                                                > Here it is => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/panoquai/

                                                Very nice, how did you manage to shoot the zenith? It does not look like
                                                you shot it from the ground.

                                                One suggestion: your horizon is not level. Try adjusting the pitch and/or
                                                roll until it's right.

                                                Serge.
                                              • Carlos Chegado - www.netlojas.biz
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                                                  Check out this Paris 3d view:

                                                  http://v3d.pagesjaunes.fr/paris/

                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                  Carlos Chegado

                                                  Olho de Peixe Lda

                                                  ====================================

                                                  ====================================

                                                • Sacha Griffin
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                                                    That’s an amazing concept destroyed by a terrible user interface. I imagined
                                                    flying to every cool spot and taking a quick look around.. but no.

                                                    Everything change in viewpoint takes ages.

                                                    Not that it couldn’t be fixed.. plus the data doesn’t update correctly if
                                                    you are actively flying with keys.

                                                    Sacha Griffin
                                                    www.southern-digital.com
                                                    www.seeit360.net
                                                    www.ezphotosafe.com
                                                    404-551-4275
                                                    404-731-7798

                                                    _____

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 11, 2007
                                                      Well, that was fun! I flew through the Eiffel Tower. Literally. Right
                                                      through the second level observation deck. It was also fun seeing my old
                                                      neighborhood. The 3D view let me circle around our old apartment and
                                                      actually see my bedroom window! Still, I prefer the navigation of Google
                                                      Earth. It just seems more intuitive.

                                                      Thanks for the link!

                                                      Mark

                                                      www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>