Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panoramic conversions inside Photoshop?

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2007
      I'm thinking a 'cross-type-panorama' may be a
      squashed cube... six cube faces in the shape of a cross ...

      Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

      > On 29 May 2007 at 15:30, runespaans wrote:
      >
      > > Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But they don't to conversion to
      > > cross-type panorama, do they?
      >
      > The new PTgui will allow you to extract nadir and zenith as
      > HDR/rectlinear, and then
      > allow you to reinsert the edited versions.
      > For normal (and not too big) images I prefer PTadjust though, as it is
      > all happening
      > inside PS..
      >
      > I'm not quite sure what cross-type panorama is?
      >
      > --
      > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen. no <http://bknilssen.no> -
      > panoramas and 3D

    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2007
        Rune,

        > cross-type panorama, do they

        That is a new term for me You are using. What do you mean by cross type
        panorama? All the projections I use have their name.
        What does your cross type panorama look like?

        Touch up of the image should be be done in rectlinear projection to be
        precise. After all, the panorama gets projected in the viewer rectlinear.
        Within PS the best way is the use of the PTadjust plug-in.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2007
          Hi Milko,

          Check my explanation and links a bit earlier in the thread. Box-cross
          panoramas are also called cubic panoramas.

          Rune

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

          > Rune,
          >
          > > cross-type panorama, do they
          >
          > That is a new term for me You are using. What do you mean by cross
          type
          > panorama? All the projections I use have their name.
          > What does your cross type panorama look like?
          >
          > Touch up of the image should be be done in rectlinear projection to be
          > precise. After all, the panorama gets projected in the viewer
          rectlinear.
          > Within PS the best way is the use of the PTadjust plug-in.
          >
          > Cheers, Milko
          >
          > --
          > Milko Amorth
          > 360° Immersive Imaging
          > Photographic Virtual Reality
          > VRCanada.ca
          > 604.561.5101
          > Skype me @ vrdundee
          > Member of IVRPA.org
          > Contributor to the World Wide Panorama Project

        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2007
            Hi Rune,
            Got your latest explanation. This list and other yahoos have a funny array
            delay sometimes.
            Those cube tiles are 90°x90° rectlinear projections. Once the
            Equirectangular is in PS, there is no faster extraction and insert of any
            coordinates than PTadjust. Of course, only one tile at the time, but works
            in 16bits as well. There is also less interpolation degradation due to
            targeted extraction/insert and not an overall convertion transformation.

            Happy extracting.
            I like your 3D gallery.

            Cheers, Milko

            --
          • listmail@mab3d.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2007
              On May 29, 2007, at 11:02 AM, runespaans wrote:
              > First, a quick introduction! My name is Rune Spaans, I am mainly a 3D
              > artist/animator, but I also play around with photography and some
              > occasional programming.
              Hi Rune,

              I've followed your work for years. Great stuff, and thanks for
              pushing the envelope for the rest of us 3D-types.
              > Does anyone know of a plugin for Photoshop that does these kind
              > of transformations, so that I can remove one piece of software out of
              > my workflow?
              Yep, what you want is Flexify 2 from Flaming Pear Software (which,
              coincidentally is by the same Lloyd Burchill of another thread):

              http://www.flamingpear.com/flexify.html

              It has a single button export for transforming and exporting an
              equirectangular to cube faces (in HDR). However, I actually retouch
              the nadir of my HDR equirectangulars by transforming them to equirect
              -90 latitude in Flexify 2. This puts the nadir in the center of the
              remap and has minimal distortion (which I can clone around
              anyways...). Unless you have a rectilinear pattern on the floor, this
              makes it easier to visualize the overall final results and to retouch
              long shadows that would extend past a single cube face. Because I
              like to limit the # of transforms I do on an IBL map, I typically
              Flexify a copy of the full equirect, and then only drop the edited
              portion (after reversing the transform) back onto the original. And
              now that CS3 Extended is available to the masses, layers and masks in
              32-bit makes this much easier to do in a single file!

              -Mark
            • runespaans
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                Thanks everybody!

                I got some great help here, with plenty of new things to try out! I
                hope I get to the chance to help you out in the future :)

                Cheers,
                Rune