Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panoramic conversions inside Photoshop?

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2007
      I'm thinking a 'cross-type-panorama' may be a
      squashed cube... six cube faces in the shape of a cross ...

      Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

      > On 29 May 2007 at 15:30, runespaans wrote:
      >
      > > Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But they don't to conversion to
      > > cross-type panorama, do they?
      >
      > The new PTgui will allow you to extract nadir and zenith as
      > HDR/rectlinear, and then
      > allow you to reinsert the edited versions.
      > For normal (and not too big) images I prefer PTadjust though, as it is
      > all happening
      > inside PS..
      >
      > I'm not quite sure what cross-type panorama is?
      >
      > --
      > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen. no <http://bknilssen.no> -
      > panoramas and 3D

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2007
        Yeah, you'll have to extract each side one at a time. But at least you can
        specify exactly where your face resides, and even extract larger or smaller
        sizes to your liking.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2007
          Rune,

          > cross-type panorama, do they

          That is a new term for me You are using. What do you mean by cross type
          panorama? All the projections I use have their name.
          What does your cross type panorama look like?

          Touch up of the image should be be done in rectlinear projection to be
          precise. After all, the panorama gets projected in the viewer rectlinear.
          Within PS the best way is the use of the PTadjust plug-in.

          Cheers, Milko

          --
          Milko Amorth
          360° Immersive Imaging
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2007
            Hi Milko,

            Check my explanation and links a bit earlier in the thread. Box-cross
            panoramas are also called cubic panoramas.

            Rune

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

            > Rune,
            >
            > > cross-type panorama, do they
            >
            > That is a new term for me You are using. What do you mean by cross
            type
            > panorama? All the projections I use have their name.
            > What does your cross type panorama look like?
            >
            > Touch up of the image should be be done in rectlinear projection to be
            > precise. After all, the panorama gets projected in the viewer
            rectlinear.
            > Within PS the best way is the use of the PTadjust plug-in.
            >
            > Cheers, Milko
            >
            > --
            > Milko Amorth
            > 360° Immersive Imaging
            > Photographic Virtual Reality
            > VRCanada.ca
            > 604.561.5101
            > Skype me @ vrdundee
            > Member of IVRPA.org
            > Contributor to the World Wide Panorama Project

          • Milko Amorth
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2007
              Hi Rune,
              Got your latest explanation. This list and other yahoos have a funny array
              delay sometimes.
              Those cube tiles are 90°x90° rectlinear projections. Once the
              Equirectangular is in PS, there is no faster extraction and insert of any
              coordinates than PTadjust. Of course, only one tile at the time, but works
              in 16bits as well. There is also less interpolation degradation due to
              targeted extraction/insert and not an overall convertion transformation.

              Happy extracting.
              I like your 3D gallery.

              Cheers, Milko

              --
            • listmail@mab3d.com
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                On May 29, 2007, at 11:02 AM, runespaans wrote:
                > First, a quick introduction! My name is Rune Spaans, I am mainly a 3D
                > artist/animator, but I also play around with photography and some
                > occasional programming.
                Hi Rune,

                I've followed your work for years. Great stuff, and thanks for
                pushing the envelope for the rest of us 3D-types.
                > Does anyone know of a plugin for Photoshop that does these kind
                > of transformations, so that I can remove one piece of software out of
                > my workflow?
                Yep, what you want is Flexify 2 from Flaming Pear Software (which,
                coincidentally is by the same Lloyd Burchill of another thread):

                http://www.flamingpear.com/flexify.html

                It has a single button export for transforming and exporting an
                equirectangular to cube faces (in HDR). However, I actually retouch
                the nadir of my HDR equirectangulars by transforming them to equirect
                -90 latitude in Flexify 2. This puts the nadir in the center of the
                remap and has minimal distortion (which I can clone around
                anyways...). Unless you have a rectilinear pattern on the floor, this
                makes it easier to visualize the overall final results and to retouch
                long shadows that would extend past a single cube face. Because I
                like to limit the # of transforms I do on an IBL map, I typically
                Flexify a copy of the full equirect, and then only drop the edited
                portion (after reversing the transform) back onto the original. And
                now that CS3 Extended is available to the masses, layers and masks in
                32-bit makes this much easier to do in a single file!

                -Mark
              • runespaans
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                  Thanks everybody!

                  I got some great help here, with plenty of new things to try out! I
                  hope I get to the chance to help you out in the future :)

                  Cheers,
                  Rune