Panoramic conversions inside Photoshop?

  • runespaans
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2007
      Hi,

      First, a quick introduction! My name is Rune Spaans, I am mainly a 3D
      artist/animator, but I also play around with photography and some
      occasional programming. I've been playing around with panoramic
      photography for some years now, especially in relation to 3D texturing
      and lighting. At the moment I am doing some 360x180 HDRI panos that I
      want to sell from my website. You can see some of my work here:
      www.superrune.com

      I've got a nice workflow set up, where I retouch the nadir and zenith
      of the photos in a cross-type panoramic transform, and the convert it
      back to longitude/latitude where I do the final retouch work. But
      since there's no such conversion in Photoshop itself, I'm using
      HDRShop for the conversion part - which is a bit cumbersome to say the
      least. Does anyone know of a plugin for Photoshop that does these kind
      of transformations, so that I can remove one piece of software out of
      my workflow?

      Thanks,
      Rune Spaans
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2007
        http://www.ptgui.com/panotools.html

        Here are the plugins for photoshop.

        http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filter

        And this teaches you how to use them.

        Sacha Griffin
        Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        www.southern-digital.com
        www.seeit360.net
        www.ezphotosafe.com
        404-551-4275
        404-731-7798

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2007
          Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But they don't to conversion to
          cross-type panorama, do they?

          Rune

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
          wrote:

          > http://www.ptgui.com/panotools.html
          >

          > Here are the plugins for photoshop.

          http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filter

          > And this teaches you how to use them.
          >

          > Sacha Griffin
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          > www.southern-digital.com
          > www.seeit360.net
          > www.ezphotosafe.com
          > 404-551-4275
          > 404-731-7798

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2007
            I don't know what cross-type means. Sorry. If you need something special,
            use the command line parameters to ptstitcher.exe

            wrote:

            > http://www.ptgui. <http://www.ptgui.com/panotools.html> com/panotools.html
            >

            > Here are the plugins for photoshop.

            http://wiki.
            <http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filte
            r> panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filter

            > And this teaches you how to use them.
            >

            > Sacha Griffin
            > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
            > www.southern-digital.com
            > www.seeit360.net
            > www.ezphotosafe.com
            > 404-551-4275
            > 404-731-7798

          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2007
              On 29 May 2007 at 15:30, runespaans wrote:

              > Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But they don't to conversion to
              > cross-type panorama, do they?

              The new PTgui will allow you to extract nadir and zenith as HDR/rectlinear, and then
              allow you to reinsert the edited versions.
              For normal (and not too big) images I prefer PTadjust though, as it is all happening
              inside PS..

              I'm not quite sure what cross-type panorama is?

            • runespaans
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                Sorry, I should have explained cross-type a bit more! Cross or box
                transformations are very common in video games and 3D graphics. It's
                basically a way of unwrapping a panorama into the six sides of a cube.
                It's an excellent way of unwrapping a panorama without any distortion
                - and that's why I prefer it for retouching. But that other conversion
                you linked to looked interesting, Sasha. I will play around with it
                and see how that works out.

                You can see a bunch of cross cube panoramas at the bottom of this page:
                http://www.debevec.org/Probes/

                Rune
              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                  On 29 May 2007 at 15:30, runespaans wrote:

                  > Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But they don't to conversion to
                  > cross-type panorama, do they?

                  The new PTgui will allow you to extract nadir and zenith as
                  HDR/rectlinear, and then
                  allow you to reinsert the edited versions.
                  For normal (and not too big) images I prefer PTadjust though, as it is
                  all happening
                  inside PS..

                  I'm not quite sure what cross-type panorama is?

                  I think Rune is referring to the cube face format where each of the six
                  faces is displayed in a cross format. As far as I know, the PhotoShop
                  plug-ins don’t support this format, but you could do an extract of the
                  nadir and zenith as separate steps, edit them, then re-insert. You can
                  use the previously mentioned tutorial

                  http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_fi
                  lter

                  but modify the settings of the “Options for Insert/Extract” to read
                  HFOV=90, Width=(width of your pano divided by four), Height=(same as
                  width). This will give you one of the cube faces. More details can be
                  found here -
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views.

                  Mark
                  www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>
                  www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                    I'm thinking a 'cross-type-panorama' may be a
                    squashed cube... six cube faces in the shape of a cross ...

                    Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

                    > On 29 May 2007 at 15:30, runespaans wrote:
                    >
                    > > Yeah, that's what I'm using now. But they don't to conversion to
                    > > cross-type panorama, do they?
                    >
                    > The new PTgui will allow you to extract nadir and zenith as
                    > HDR/rectlinear, and then
                    > allow you to reinsert the edited versions.
                    > For normal (and not too big) images I prefer PTadjust though, as it is
                    > all happening
                    > inside PS..
                    >
                    > I'm not quite sure what cross-type panorama is?
                    >
                    > --
                    > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen. no <http://bknilssen.no> -
                    > panoramas and 3D

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                      Yeah, you'll have to extract each side one at a time. But at least you can
                      specify exactly where your face resides, and even extract larger or smaller
                      sizes to your liking.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                      www.southern-digital.com
                      www.seeit360.net
                      www.ezphotosafe.com
                      404-551-4275
                      404-731-7798

                      _____

                      Sorry, I should have explained cross-type a bit more! Cross or box
                      transformations are very common in video games and 3D graphics. It's
                      basically a way of unwrapping a panorama into the six sides of a cube.
                      It's an excellent way of unwrapping a panorama without any distortion
                      - and that's why I prefer it for retouching. But that other conversion
                      you linked to looked interesting, Sasha. I will play around with it
                      and see how that works out.

                      You can see a bunch of cross cube panoramas at the bottom of this page:
                      http://www.debevec <http://www.debevec.org/Probes/> org/Probes/

                      Rune

                    • Milko Amorth
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                        Rune,

                        > cross-type panorama, do they

                        That is a new term for me You are using. What do you mean by cross type
                        panorama? All the projections I use have their name.
                        What does your cross type panorama look like?

                        Touch up of the image should be be done in rectlinear projection to be
                        precise. After all, the panorama gets projected in the viewer rectlinear.
                        Within PS the best way is the use of the PTadjust plug-in.

                        Cheers, Milko

                        --
                        Milko Amorth
                        360° Immersive Imaging
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                          Hi Milko,

                          Check my explanation and links a bit earlier in the thread. Box-cross
                          panoramas are also called cubic panoramas.

                          Rune

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

                          > Rune,
                          >
                          > > cross-type panorama, do they
                          >
                          > That is a new term for me You are using. What do you mean by cross
                          type
                          > panorama? All the projections I use have their name.
                          > What does your cross type panorama look like?
                          >
                          > Touch up of the image should be be done in rectlinear projection to be
                          > precise. After all, the panorama gets projected in the viewer
                          rectlinear.
                          > Within PS the best way is the use of the PTadjust plug-in.
                          >
                          > Cheers, Milko
                          >
                          > --
                          > Milko Amorth
                          > 360° Immersive Imaging
                          > Photographic Virtual Reality
                          > VRCanada.ca
                          > 604.561.5101
                          > Skype me @ vrdundee
                          > Member of IVRPA.org
                          > Contributor to the World Wide Panorama Project

                        • Milko Amorth
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                            Hi Rune,
                            Got your latest explanation. This list and other yahoos have a funny array
                            delay sometimes.
                            Those cube tiles are 90°x90° rectlinear projections. Once the
                            Equirectangular is in PS, there is no faster extraction and insert of any
                            coordinates than PTadjust. Of course, only one tile at the time, but works
                            in 16bits as well. There is also less interpolation degradation due to
                            targeted extraction/insert and not an overall convertion transformation.

                            Happy extracting.
                            I like your 3D gallery.

                            Cheers, Milko

                            --
                          • listmail@mab3d.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                              On May 29, 2007, at 11:02 AM, runespaans wrote:
                              > First, a quick introduction! My name is Rune Spaans, I am mainly a 3D
                              > artist/animator, but I also play around with photography and some
                              > occasional programming.
                              Hi Rune,

                              I've followed your work for years. Great stuff, and thanks for
                              pushing the envelope for the rest of us 3D-types.
                              > Does anyone know of a plugin for Photoshop that does these kind
                              > of transformations, so that I can remove one piece of software out of
                              > my workflow?
                              Yep, what you want is Flexify 2 from Flaming Pear Software (which,
                              coincidentally is by the same Lloyd Burchill of another thread):

                              http://www.flamingpear.com/flexify.html

                              It has a single button export for transforming and exporting an
                              equirectangular to cube faces (in HDR). However, I actually retouch
                              the nadir of my HDR equirectangulars by transforming them to equirect
                              -90 latitude in Flexify 2. This puts the nadir in the center of the
                              remap and has minimal distortion (which I can clone around
                              anyways...). Unless you have a rectilinear pattern on the floor, this
                              makes it easier to visualize the overall final results and to retouch
                              long shadows that would extend past a single cube face. Because I
                              like to limit the # of transforms I do on an IBL map, I typically
                              Flexify a copy of the full equirect, and then only drop the edited
                              portion (after reversing the transform) back onto the original. And
                              now that CS3 Extended is available to the masses, layers and masks in
                              32-bit makes this much easier to do in a single file!

                              -Mark
                            • runespaans
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 29, 2007
                                Thanks everybody!

                                I got some great help here, with plenty of new things to try out! I
                                hope I get to the chance to help you out in the future :)

                                Cheers,
                                Rune