Huge!!!

  • Jeffrey S. Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2007
      I'm about to render a 66000x33000 image.

      does it HAVE to be in PSB format? can this size image possible fit into 4gb
      which is the tiff limit, as I understand?

      Jeffrey

    • Peter Nyfeler
      Message 2 of 11 , May 26, 2007
        Hi Jeffrey

        Jeffrey S. Martin schrieb:
        > I'm about to render a 66000x33000 image.
        >
        > does it HAVE to be in PSB format? can this size image possible fit into 4gb
        > which is the tiff limit, as I understand?

        I did a panorama in about the same size. The tiff will be cerated but
        can't be opened.
        No warning at all about the limitations or someone has to know about
        when operating
        with such big fiels. I tried several software open it but failed.

        Go for the psb format. I have 2 gigs of ram and was abel to open the
        resulting psb file
        of 7 gigs. No layers, only the rendered panorama. It took quite some
        time to open it and
        working with it in photoshop is a bit of a pain as every step takes so
        long ;-)

        best regards

        Peter
      • Carl von Einem
        Message 3 of 11 , May 26, 2007
          Hi Jeffrey and Peter,

          Erik wrote something about TIFF problems and it's also in the wiki:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Photoshop_limitations
          see also http://wiki.panotools.org/Photoshop for alternatives to Photoshop.

          According to http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401089
          "...the maximum file size Photoshop CS3 supports is 300,000 x 300,000
          pixels [...] CS3 has an increased file size capability for the following
          file types:
          - PSD files: 2 GB
          - TIFF files: 4 GB (Note: Most applications cannot work with TIFF files
          larger than 2 GB.)
          - PSB files: 4 EB (yes, Exabyte!)
          ..."

          Carl

          Posted by: "Peter Nyfeler"

          > Jeffrey S. Martin schrieb:
          >> > I'm about to render a 66000x33000 image.
          >> > does it HAVE to be in PSB format? can this size image possible fit into 4gb
          >> > which is the tiff limit, as I understand?
          >> >
          > I did a panorama in about the same size. The tiff will be cerated but
          > can't be opened.
          > No warning at all about the limitations or someone has to know about
          > when operating with such big fiels.
          > I tried several software open it but failed.
          > Go for the psb format. I have 2 gigs of ram and was abel to open the
          > resulting psb file of 7 gigs.
        • Peter Nyfeler
          Message 4 of 11 , May 26, 2007
            Hi Carl

            Carl von Einem schrieb:
            > Hi Jeffrey and Peter,
            >
            > Erik wrote something about TIFF problems and it's also in the wiki:
            > http://wiki.panotools.org/Photoshop_limitations
            > see also http://wiki.panotools.org/Photoshop for alternatives to Photoshop.

            I'm aware of this but forgot to mention. No packbits compression was
            involved in my workflow.
            Aswell I have used the batch conversion of Erik (Tiff_to_LZW). In other
            casses it works well but
            with this pixel / file size I didn't suceed. The only way to go for me
            was psb.
            > According to http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401089
            > "...the maximum file size Photoshop CS3 supports is 300,000 x 300,000
            > pixels [...] CS3 has an increased file size capability for the following
            > file types:
            > - PSD files: 2 GB
            > - TIFF files: 4 GB (Note: Most applications cannot work with TIFF files
            > larger than 2 GB.)
            > - PSB files: 4 EB (yes, Exabyte!)
            > ..."

            Thank you very much for your info.

            Best regards

            Peter
          • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
            Message 5 of 11 , May 26, 2007
              CS2 theoretically supported 4 GB TIFFs as well, but only in a very
              specific format (one 'single strip'). It fails to load other files
              larger than 2 GB, like the ones created by PTGui, which do comply to the
              tiff spec.

              Perhaps they improved it in CS3, haven't checked yet.

              There is a proprosal for a 'BigTiff' format:

              http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/BigTIFFProposal.html
              http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/bigtiff.html

              which is interesting, but I don't know of any software that supports it yet.

              Joost

              Carl von Einem wrote:
              > Hi Jeffrey and Peter,
              >
              > Erik wrote something about TIFF problems and it's also in the wiki:
              > http://wiki.panotools.org/Photoshop_limitations
              > see also http://wiki.panotools.org/Photoshop for alternatives to Photoshop.
              >
              > According to http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401089
              > "...the maximum file size Photoshop CS3 supports is 300,000 x 300,000
              > pixels [...] CS3 has an increased file size capability for the following
              > file types:
              > - PSD files: 2 GB
              > - TIFF files: 4 GB (Note: Most applications cannot work with TIFF files
              > larger than 2 GB.)
              > - PSB files: 4 EB (yes, Exabyte!)
              > ..."
              >
              > Carl
              >
              > Posted by: "Peter Nyfeler"
              >>>>
              >> I did a panorama in about the same size. The tiff will be cerated but
              >> can't be opened.
              >> No warning at all about the limitations or someone has to know about
              >> when operating with such big fiels.
              >> I tried several software open it but failed.
              >> Go for the psb format. I have 2 gigs of ram and was abel to open the
              >> resulting psb file of 7 gigs.

            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 11 , May 27, 2007
                Thanks Peter,
                > Go for the psb format. I have 2 gigs of ram and was abel to open the
                > resulting psb file
                > of 7 gigs. No layers, only the rendered panorama. It took quite some
                > time to open it and
                > working with it in photoshop is a bit of a pain as every step takes so
                > long

                The other day I had a 110000x3600 stitched i could not open it either.
                This file type i havent tried yet.

                Cheers, Milko

                --
                Milko Amorth
                360° Immersive Imaging
                Message 7 of 11 , May 27, 2007
                  Hi Joost,

                  thanks for the links, I used them to update the wiki article about the
                  TIFF format (hopefully I didn't introduce errors). It looks as if the
                  next version of the LibTIFF library that contains the BigTIFF codec is
                  supposed to be available in August.

                  Typical for a company like Adobe that they sit on their own formats and
                  don't have an interest to keep open standards open. TIFF is an open
                  standard, isn't it?

                  Carl

                  Posted by: "Joost Nieuwenhuijse"

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 27, 2007
                    Ok, I chose PSB.

                    First I had to find 300gb of free space on my system among my "crazy
                    terabyte"

                    I started rendering about 15 hours ago, and it's nearly done now :-)

                    I guess it would help to have a RAID stripe to make this scratch disk thing
                    faster.....

                    (add to the fantasy wish list....)

                  • Jeffrey S. Martin
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 27, 2007
                      It is still crunching away. 19 hours going, and it is still blending....

                      This is obviously to be expected for a such a large file - but is there
                      something that can be done to speed it up? (ah, photoshop blender....) Would
                      a certain kind of video card help the process? And how much would it speed
                      up with some high-speed (15000 rpm?) hard disks?

                      crunch, crunch... :-)

                    • Bernhard Vogl
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 27, 2007
                        For stitching panoramas with 80000+ pixel width, i generally don't need
                        more than 10 hours.
                        If you're using external disks, you can speed up things dramatically by
                        enabling caching for external disks:

                        Right click "My computer" - "Properties". Choose "Hardware" - "Device
                        Manager". Open "Disk drives" and double click your external disk drive.
                        Choose "Policies" and set to "Optimize for Performance".
                        Enabling this option, you are not allowed any more to simply switch off
                        your external drive as some data may still not be written back to disk.
                        Use "Safely remove hardware" procedure!

                        Best regards
                        Bernhard

                        Jeffrey S. Martin schrieb:
                        > It is still crunching away. 19 hours going, and it is still blending....
                        >
                        > This is obviously to be expected for a such a large file - but is there
                        > something that can be done to speed it up? (ah, photoshop blender....) Would
                        > a certain kind of video card help the process? And how much would it speed
                        > up with some high-speed (15000 rpm?) hard disks?
                        >
                        > crunch, crunch... :-)

                        Bernhard Vogl
                        Vienna, Austria
                        http://dativ.at
                        http://www.austria-360.at
                        Tutorials: http://www.dffe.at
                      • Bernhard Vogl
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 27, 2007
                          I also encountered strange problems with TIFF files > 2GB.
                          As it turned out, i had created the file(s) on a FAT32 volume. All tools
                          failed with a similar message: They couldn't position the file pointer
                          any more. I moved the large files to a NTFS volume and - voilá! - i was
                          in the game again!

                          Best regards
                          Bernhard