wiki and deep links

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2007
      Just curious if anyone else is seeing this - Someone or ones are
      putting deep links into my site from wiki.

      If I shoot a public space, post it to the public side of my site; in a
      few weeks or so I find viewers coming in from wiki.

      I guess it's yet another way for potential clients to find me.

      Perhaps we all should put our work on wiki if the topic exists or add
      the topic as appropriate; what do you think?

      Robert
    • Carl von Einem
      Message 2 of 13 , May 25, 2007
        Hi Robert,

        are you talking about links to your site from <http://en.wikipedia.org/> or
        from <http://wiki.panotools.org/> ? Can you give us an example of an article
        that links to your site?

        I'd be careful with promotional links from the wikipedia though.

        Carl

        Message 3 of 13 , May 25, 2007
          > are you talking about links to your site from
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/>

          Yes, links from wikipedia into my site, the most recent example is my
          VR of one of the great rooms in the chicago cultural center.

          http://www.robertharshman.com/CCC/CCCGAR.html

          Someone added this to the wikipedia page for the room shorty after it
          was posted on my site.

          > I'd be careful with promotional links from the wikipedia though.

          I would not post any directly promotional links and am still trying
          to review if it makes sense at all to post anything or even allow a
          link to stay when posted by someone else as it may cloud copyright
          given the wikipedia mission of free distribution. Not clear to me how
          a link fits into this nor if it impacts copyright in any way.

          Robert
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 13 , May 25, 2007
            Sometime around 25/5/07 (at 14:22 +0000) robert_harshman said:

            >I would not post any directly promotional links and am still trying
            >to review if it makes sense at all to post anything or even allow a
            >link to stay when posted by someone else as it may cloud copyright
            >given the wikipedia mission of free distribution. Not clear to me how
            >a link fits into this nor if it impacts copyright in any way.

            Links pointing people towards your site? That doesn't impact
            copyright in the slightest. And it boosts your profile in search
            engines' eyes.

            Keith Martin
            Senior Lecturer in Publishing, LCC (University of the Arts, London)
            Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
            design, programming, VR photography, consultancy

            mailto:keith@...
            http://www.thesmallest.com
            iChat/AIM & Skype ThatKeith

            UK (main) +44 (0)20 8646 3474
            US (voip) +1 215-253-6007
            UK (cell) +44 (0)790 954 1365
          • robert_harshman
            Message 5 of 13 , May 25, 2007
              > Someone added this to the wikipedia page for the room shorty after it
              > was posted on my site.

              Here's the wiki entry, since it's posted as a external link I would
              guess there's no copyright concern.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cultural_Center

              Robert
            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                >> Someone added this to the wikipedia page for the room shorty after it
                >> was posted on my site.
                >>

                > Here's the wiki entry, since it's posted as a external link I would
                > guess there's no copyright concern.
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cultural_Center

                "Deep links" are links that pretend other people's content as "their
                own" - by integrating content on your server into the structure of
                "their" website (e.g. by using iframes, linking foreign images in the
                code etc.).
                The mentioned link in the Wiki is clearly declared as external link and
                doesn't infringe your copyright. In fact, this is exactly how the web is
                meant to function.
                If you want to inhibit deep linking, you can set some server directives
                that will show an infringment notification instead of the intended
                content - or the backside of your cat, if you want ;-)

                Best regards
                Bernhard
              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                  As Bernhard has pointed out, this isn't deep-linking as such. Now, if
                  someone had linked directly to the QTVR file...

                  Great shot, by the way.

                  Ian
                • Milko Amorth
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                    Funny.

                    > or the backside of your cat, if you want
                    Gee Bernie, your two or four legged cat? Your two legged cat might be even
                    an incentive to keep on deep linking.:-))

                    Cheers, Milko

                    --
                    Milko Amorth
                    360° Immersive Imaging
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 25, 2007
                      > Great shot, by the way.
                      >
                      > Ian

                      Thanks Ian!
                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 26, 2007
                        Well... I fully respect wiki. I think your image is great and that is
                        useful that link stays there, useful for the wiki AND for you!
                        :-)
                        I don't know you personally, don't kno who you are etc. From an
                        "external" point of view I can't see any conflict nor copiright violation.
                        As wiki user I'm happy that link stays there!!!!
                        :-D
                        P.S. Very good panorama, good light balance. Good choice of the point of
                        view AND of the very wide opening angle. Nadir patching is a bit weak,
                        oh, well, if compared to the beauty of the job! That kind of floor is
                        just a pain in the ass to retouch! and I personally did some far worse
                        patch.
                        :-)

                        robert_harshman ha scritto:

                        > > Someone added this to the wikipedia page for the room shorty after it
                        > > was posted on my site.
                        >
                        > Here's the wiki entry, since it's posted as a external link I would
                        > guess there's no copyright concern.
                        >
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cultural_Center
                        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cultural_Center>
                        >
                        > Robert

                      • dorindxn
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 26, 2007
                          @Milko
                          Must be the 4 legged cat, otherwise the problem is still in
                          place ..you see.. the model agreement..deep linking... ;-)

                          @Robert
                          Great job!

                          Dorin

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Funny.
                          >
                          > > or the backside of your cat, if you want
                          > Gee Bernie, your two or four legged cat? Your two legged cat might
                          be even
                          > an incentive to keep on deep linking.:-))
                          >
                          > Cheers, Milko

                        • robert_harshman
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 26, 2007
                            > @Robert
                            > Great job!
                            >
                            > Dorin

                            Thanks Dorin, now how about some VR's of the churches and monasteries
                            built under Petru Rases from about 1500.

                            Say from Sucevita, Moldovita, Voronet, Humor, Sucecava, Patrauti, and
                            Probota?

                            You've got a wonderful opportunity there, go shoot it!

                            Regards,

                            Robert
                          • dorindxn
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert_harshman" <image360@...>
                              wrote:
                              > ... now how about some VR's of the churches and monasteries
                              > built under Petru Rases from about 1500.
                              >
                              > Say from Sucevita, Moldovita, Voronet, Humor, Sucecava, Patrauti, and
                              > Probota?
                              >
                              > You've got a wonderful opportunity there, go shoot it!

                              Yes I will do, much to learn and to prepare for that, I maded some VR
                              at a monastery re-builded around year 1450, very small windows, very
                              difficult, I shoot only in natural light, I will show that VR in a day,
                              still study to have the best result, with more light, I maded VR at
                              Milleniun Church (1900), I guess you know that, there is too an article
                              on Wikipedia at
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millenium_Church
                              but nobody has put link to my VR
                              http://www.dxn.ro/millenium_church.html (DevalVR)