file sizes and Macbook Pro

  • Robert Such
    Message 1 of 12 , May 24, 2007
      Hi,

      Would any Macbook Pro/Photoshop CS3 owners stitching pics mind telling me how big your files get and how well the MB Pro handles them , please?

      Thanks,

      Robert.

    • Carl von Einem
      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Such" wrote:

        > Would any Macbook Pro/Photoshop CS3 owners stitching pics mind
        telling me how big your files get and how well the MB Pro handles them
        , please?

        Hi Robert,

        the limitations of OSX regarding file sizes should be no problem:

        Photoshop still has some limits regarding usage of available RAM
        (Apple PBMs only allow for a maximum of 3 GB RAM at the moment). That
        and virtual memory are described in
        http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401089
        The document is also about file size limits:
        Photoshop CS3 has an increased file size capability for the following
        file types:
        * PSD files: 2 GB
        * TIFF files: 4 GB
        Note: Most applications cannot work with TIFF files larger than 2 GB.
        * PSB files: 4 Exabytes (4096 Petabytes, or 4 million Terabytes)
        * PDF files: 10 GB (pages are limited to a maximum size of 200 inches).

        Looks like the size of your HD and the available amount of RAM might
        be the limit ;-)

        Carl
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Such" <arts.rob@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Would any Macbook Pro/Photoshop CS3 owners stitching pics mind telling me how big
          your files get and how well the MB Pro handles them , please?

          Could you please specify what the problem is.

          Are you stitching in PTGui.
          How do you export them from PTGui
          Do you use Enblend or PTGui blender
          Do you have problems open the files from PTGui or are you perhaps using CS3
          autoblending and this gives you problems.

          Are you using 16 bit files
          What compression do you use in PTGui

          And of course the most important How much Ram do you have and how much free
          harddisc place
          I could probably find some more relevant questions.

          Hans
        • Robert Such
          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2007
            Hi,

            Thanks for the links Carl.

            I should mention that I don't have a MB Pro, Hans, but need to upgrade my laptop soon. I've discovered the auto-align and -blend in PS CS3, and I like the results, but my current laptop really starts to struggle to align (stitch) and blend four 5D pics from a shift lens. I also want to be able to quickly blend and make slight perspective adjustments (transform tool) on three or four bracketed and stacked layers, without flattening. Files can and will start to exceed more often 600+ MB as I do more stitching. Can the MB Pro (2.33", 3GB) handle this easily and quickly? A desktop's not possible at the moment, as I need portability.

            Thanks,

            Robert.

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 12 , May 24, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Such" <arts.rob@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Thanks for the links Carl.
              >
              > I should mention that I don't have a MB Pro, Hans, but need to upgrade my laptop soon.
              I've discovered the auto-align and -blend in PS CS3, and I like the results, but my current
              laptop really starts to struggle to align (stitch) and blend four 5D pics from a shift lens. I
              also want to be able to quickly blend and make slight perspective adjustments (transform
              tool) on three or four bracketed and stacked layers, without flattening. Files can and will
              start to exceed more often 600+ MB as I do more stitching. Can the MB Pro (2.33", 3GB)
              handle this easily and quickly? A desktop's not possible at the moment, as I need
              portability.

              Should be no problem at all.
              I have the first version MacBook Pro 17" with 2 gb Ram.

              Here is my test with a multirow 10000x20000 pixels pano
              http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CS3/CS3-autoblending3.html

              You can see the time for blending both with my G5 dualcore 2.0 and the MacBook Pro.
              I guess the difference is mainly because of the smaller amount of Ram on the MacBook.

              Hans
            • Robert Such
              Message 6 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                Thanks Hans,

                Was the file size of the 10000x20000-pixel pano around 570 MB?

                Robert.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Such" <arts.rob@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Hans,
                  >
                  > Was the file size of the 10000x20000-pixel pano around 570 MB?

                  The final flattened pano is 572mb but the layer file with 38 images was much larger.
                  As I say on the page it takes 5 minutes just to open it.

                  Hans
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                    Sometime around 24/5/07 (at 22:47 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:

                    >The final flattened pano is 572mb but the layer file with 38 images
                    >was much larger.
                    >As I say on the page it takes 5 minutes just to open it.

                    What's the reported total size in the Photoshop 'document sizes' info
                    in the document window?

                    I suspect that even 3GB is going to be a bit tight. I hope it isn't
                    far off enough room though, I'll be adding a 2GB card to my MacBook
                    Pro to max it out tomorrow. If the postman brings it before the bank
                    holiday weekend.

                    But if the document size in Photoshop is much larger you really would
                    need 4GB as a minimum, which means a desktop. (I'm afraid that PC
                    laptops with similar chip architectures can't use more than 3GB of
                    installed, addressable RAM, regardless of their claims, even if they
                    have two 2GB cards installed.)

                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 24, 2007

                      > Sometime around 24/5/07 (at 22:47 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:
                      >
                      > >The final flattened pano is 572mb but the layer file with 38 images
                      > >was much larger.
                      > >As I say on the page it takes 5 minutes just to open it.
                      >
                      > What's the reported total size in the Photoshop 'document sizes' info
                      > in the document window?

                      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/CS3/CS3-autoblending3.html
                      Size is much larger

                      Flattened 572 mb Actual size with Layers 6.6 GB

                      Scaratch size used just opened 13,7 Gb You need much more when you start working on
                      it.

                      The 2 GB Ram was enough on my MacBook Pro but it was much faster processed on my
                      G5 2.0 with 4.7 GB Ram

                      Hans
                    • Flo
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 25, 2007
                        Hi Keith,

                        I am on the MB pro too. What card are you adding to the MB? Could you
                        post a link?

                        Thanks and have a nice weekend

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 25, 2007
                          Sometime around 25/5/07 (at 14:08 +0000) Flo said:

                          >I am on the MB pro too. What card are you adding to the MB? Could you
                          >post a link?

                          Dangit! Yes, I have a link. And when I checked it
                          I saw that the price has just dropped about £25
                          since I paid for it on Wednesday! Grrr...

                          Ah well, it was a good deal at the time. And it
                          could have gone up. And I paid for it from the
                          remnants of my Paypal account anyway, so it
                          didn't exactly hurt anyway.

                          http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/10708.html

                          But what I *am* stil slightly frustrated about is
                          the fact that I missed the postman today when I
                          was out at Trafalgar Square shooting panos of the
                          turfed area. Doh!

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 25, 2007
                            Keith Martin wrote:
                            > Sometime around 25/5/07 (at 14:08 +0000) Flo said:
                            >
                            >> I am on the MB pro too. What card are you adding to the MB? Could you
                            >> post a link?
                            >
                            > Dangit! Yes, I have a link. And when I checked it
                            > I saw that the price has just dropped about £25
                            > since I paid for it on Wednesday! Grrr...

                            Let that be a lesson to you , *never* check the price of something after
                            you've purchased it because it'll always go down. Conversely, if you
                            watch the price of something it'll never go down (no matter how long
                            you wait) ... *until* you give up and purchase it.

                            Personally I think it's a plot to make us all wacky but I'm not sure
                            who's behind it. =8^)

                            > Ah well, it was a good deal at the time. And it
                            > could have gone up. And I paid for it from the
                            > remnants of my Paypal account anyway, so it
                            > didn't exactly hurt anyway.
                            >
                            > http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/10708.html
                            >
                            > But what I *am* stil slightly frustrated about is
                            > the fact that I missed the postman today when I
                            > was out at Trafalgar Square shooting panos of the
                            > turfed area. Doh!

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large