Problem using Mac Enblend & pblend

  • Peter Got
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
      This was cross posted on the Kekus forum, but I'm
      desperate for a solution.

      I'm having a problem running Enblend 2.1 through
      pBlend. I'm using Xblend 2.1 as the front end.

      I am unable to stitch more than 5 or 6 images together
      and get the following error messages in the console:

      ------------

      enblend: error opening output file "pblend_00.tiff":
      Precondition violation!
      Unable to open file 'pblend_00.tiff'.
      (tiff.cxx:663)

      -------------

      This occurs for each image, before terminating at the
      6th image.

      (subsequent images give same error with a different
      codecmanager):

      ------------

      Precondition violation!
      Unable to open file 'pblend_04.tiff'.
      (codecmanager.cxx:155)

      ------------

      My file and directory paths are pretty straight
      forward, with no spaces or apostrophes in them. I am
      running a G5 dual 1.8 processor with 2 gigs of RAM.
      And while I currently only have about 8 - 10 gigs free
      space on the boot drive, the individual tiff files I'm
      feeding to Enblend are no more than 3 mgs each (I'm
      testing this on small files, but did have luck
      stitching larger 30mg LZW compressed files yesterday).

      All this was working fine yesterday. And if I don't
      use pblend, Enblend (both versions 1.3 & 2.1) works
      perfectly.

      But I would like to be able to take advantage of the
      latest features in Enblend 2.1 and still have the use
      of both processors during rendering.

      The only major new thing added to my system before
      pblend stoped working was the Mono framework, in an
      unsuccessful attempt to get autopano-sift to work with
      Hugin.

      Any help appreciated, as I'm a bit new to using these
      tools for panorama creation.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Peter Got <lovefilm@...> wrote:

        > This was cross posted on the Kekus forum, but I'm
        > desperate for a solution.
        >
        > I'm having a problem running Enblend 2.1 through
        > pBlend. I'm using Xblend 2.1 as the front end.

        Why do you not use the last version of Enblend
        I have not seen 2.1 for download since last year.
        2.5 is the version you can download at PTMac
        http://kekus.com/download/

        Hans
      • LoveFilm
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2006
          > Why do you not use the last version of Enblend
          > I have not seen 2.1 for download since last year.
          > 2.5 is the version you can download at PTMac
          > http://kekus.com/download/
          >
          > Hans

          Hi Hans - My mistake - I am using Enblend 2.5. I got confused and
          wrote the release number for Xblend. What ever the release numbers,
          however, I am having some issues using these programs. More often than
          not, my renders are terminated with messages in the Xbend consol
          informing me enblend was not able to write out a temp file.

          Other problems include the render terminating after only 5 or 6 images
          are loaded.

          As I'm new to these programs it looks like I still have some
          investigating to do.

          BTY - you gave me some good shooting advice some months back on the
          QuickTime VR list.

          Here are some of the fruits of those tips:

          Living Room
          http://www.petergotlib.com/vr/LivingRoom1.html

          NY Roof Top (Across from the World Wide Plaza)
          http://www.petergotlib.com/vr/StuRoof.html

          Bathroom view:
          http://www.petergotlib.com/vr/Bathroom1.html

          Mountain View - Appalachian Trail, Warwick NY:
          http://www.petergotlib.com/vr/APtrail.html
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2006
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "LoveFilm" <lovefilm@...> wrote:

            > > Why do you not use the last version of Enblend
            > > I have not seen 2.1 for download since last year.
            > > 2.5 is the version you can download at PTMac
            > > http://kekus.com/download/
            > >
            > > Hans
            > >
            > Hi Hans - My mistake - I am using Enblend 2.5. I got confused and
            > wrote the release number for Xblend. What ever the release numbers,
            > however, I am having some issues using these programs. More often than
            > not, my renders are terminated with messages in the Xbend consol
            > informing me enblend was not able to write out a temp file.
            >
            > Other problems include the render terminating after only 5 or 6 images
            > are loaded.

            Sounds like memory problems. Or not enough place for the temp files.

            Regarding pBlend I never got that to work properly. Remember that pBlend use the
            startdisc for temporary files NOT your disc/partition where your source images are.
            For multirow it is much faster to blend each row separatelly and then blend the rows 1 by
            1. To reduce the sizes of the files from Nona you should use LZW. You have to set the flag
            for this by hand in the scriptfile from PTMac.

            As I have a dualcore Mac 2.0 Enblend 1.3 works much faster and better but unfortunatelly
            you need to use 16bit. This means the max resolution you can use is around 14000x7000
            pixels.
            Enblend 1.3 is just unuseable for 8bit as it generates very bad colors in large flat areas.
            I would really appreciate if some people would like to look at Enblend 1.3 and solve that
            problem. Platro could not find a solution
            Read more about that in this thread at PTMac
            http://kekus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040

            Hans
            www.panoramas.dk
          • LoveFilm
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2006
              > Sounds like memory problems. Or not enough place for the temp files.

              I have 2 gigs of memory, and about 10 - 18 gig available disk space
              on the boot drive. Do I need much more than that to work more
              smoothly? (Guess its time to start backing up and offloading some files).

              > Regarding pBlend I never got that to work properly.

              It worked great for me right after I installed it - now it stops after
              a few images (regardless of image size).

              > 1. To reduce the sizes of the files from Nona you should use LZW.
              You have to set the flag for this by hand in the scriptfile from PTMac.

              I have not fully explored the Nona stitcher yet. I am actually
              generating my scripts through PTgui on the PC - then using terminal on
              the Mac to out put files via PTmender. Using LZW compression, the
              files are very manageable - about 13 - 20 mgg. I don't think file
              size is my issue here

              Why, you might ask, am I not just using PTgui for my entire work flow.
              Well, I was till just recently. But one pano needed morph control
              points, and that required the rendering via PTstitcher and Enblend -
              which seems to be taking way too long on my PC's meager resources.

              > As I have a dualcore Mac 2.0 Enblend 1.3 works much faster and
              better but unfortunatelly you need to use 16bit. This means the max
              resolution you can use is around 14000x7000

              This all fits comfortably into the way I have been working - 16bit
              images with panoram size of 8777 x 3072. So I guess I'm fine sticking
              with Enblend 1.3 - which seems to work ok.

              The only problem - and I have really only been testing this on one
              panoram so far (which has been difficult to stitch) - is that Enblend
              on Mac seems to produce a lot more ghosting than on the PC
              (unfortunately, it takes me nearly 5 - 7 hours to render on my PC,
              which currenlty only has 500 mg ram.)

              I did try blending all three rows separately and this was quick and
              produced better results than when blending all three rows together.
              However, the results still were not as good as those achieved on the
              PC version.

              QUESTION: When implementing this row independent blending strategy,
              how is it best to construct the final pano. Do you blend all three
              rows at once, or do you blend 2 rows, and then the final row in a
              third pass?
            • plattro
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2006
                Hi Peter
                I posted a reply on the Kekus board. If you can post (As a file
                attachment) the complete console output, I'll have a look what went wrong.

                It sounds like your issue isn't an enblend problem, but somewhere in
                your setup/environment.

                As Hans wrote, pblend puts the temporary files in whatever directory
                is the current directory ('pwd') when it is started. From
                PTMac/XBlend, this is your startup drive. If you start it at the
                command line, it is your current directory. Make sure you have space &
                privelege for that directory.

                If you can, start it directly from the commandline and look at the
                messages.

                >QUESTION - are the Mac versions 2.1 and the PC version 2.5 of Enblend
                >equivalent, or is the PC version simply further along in development?

                The Mac enblend 1.3+ is drasticly diverged from Andrew Mihal's
                original, mostly in heavy speed improvements (Multithreading, Altivec,
                64bit addressing...).

                1.3+ has some quality issues, but it's fast. It doesn't work with
                cropped TIFFs, and a lot of other shortcommings addressed by 2.x.
                For quality, use 2.x.

                The 2.x versions are essentially identical on all platforms, just
                recompiled. (1.2-mac == 1.2-pc)

                If I do any further work, it will be on Andrew Mihal's common code
                base, not a Mac-only branch.

                - Rob
              • LoveFilm
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 30, 2006
                  > It sounds like your issue isn't an enblend problem, but somewhere in
                  > your setup/environment.

                  Rob - I too posted answer to Kekus form. Hans and your suggestions
                  did solve my problem. Enblend 2.5 now works properly with Xblend
                  after changing my Root directory from read only to read and write
                  privileges.

                  > The 2.x versions are essentially identical on all platforms, just
                  > recompiled. (1.2-mac == 1.2-pc)

                  Regarding the differences I was seeing on rendered out put from PC and
                  Mac. This was due to my own mistake. The scripts I ported over to
                  the Mac were actually from a slightly earlier version of one of my
                  files, whose control points were not as well optimized. So I was not
                  comparing rendered output from the same scripts!