Re: Balancing image quality with file/download size

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20, 2007
      "bob_in_minnesota" <installexpert@...> wrote:

      > In putting together QTVR panos, I'm trying to achieve a good
      > balance between image quality and file (download) size. It seems
      > the main factors in play...

      I just finished a set of 3 VR's done for a client. Using the same
      settings for all three produced very different file sizes, from 900K
      to 1.8 meg. One of the key aspect of JPG compression is image
      content. Complexity is the enemy of compression. A complex pattern
      will significantly reduce compression effectiveness. This is why
      nature scenes are so hard to compress; the real world is quite dirty
      or filled with variation. It's another reason why CGI is still
      typically so easy to spot - it's still too clean.

      Given that, one additional ways to reduce file size is to use
      different levels of compression on each cube face. Pano2QTVR allows
      this. If you want to get extreme then use a graphic's program like
      imageready or fireworks or others that allow you to mask the
      compression. Then you can completely optimize the file size verses
      content.

      Nothing is ever black or white, just so many shades of gray.

      Regards,

      Robert Harshman