Raynox DCR-CF185PRO & Fuji S7000

  • Geoff Mather
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
      Does anyone have info on the nodal point of the above lens / camera
      configuration, or even just that of the lens itself ? The lens isn't
      mentioned on the Wiki Entrance Pupil Database, despite being referred
      to in the text of the Wiki. I gather the combination might be getting
      a bit long of the order of 21cm is suggested but not sure if that is
      the overall length of camera and lens or just to the nodal point.

      I'm hoping to fit it all onto a Panosaurus head but ...... it might
      need extending into a Sauropod version :-)

      Geoff (normally a lurker :-)
      Panos at http://www.g8dhe.net/panoramas/
    • Thomas Rauscher
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
        Hello Geoff,

        on Friday, July 28, 2006, 21:46:25 you wrote:

        GM> Does anyone have info on the nodal point of the above lens / camera
        GM> configuration, or even just that of the lens itself ? The lens isn't
        GM> mentioned on the Wiki Entrance Pupil Database, despite being referred
        GM> to in the text of the Wiki. I gather the combination might be getting
        GM> a bit long of the order of 21cm is suggested but not sure if that is
        GM> the overall length of camera and lens or just to the nodal point.

        I had this combination one year ago and if I remember right, than 21cm
        is the distance from the tripod hole to the non parallax point for 90°.
        The NPP is in the center of the first bevel on the lens tube, but the
        point highly depends on the angle.

        GM> I'm hoping to fit it all onto a Panosaurus head but ...... it might
        GM> need extending into a Sauropod version :-)

        This combination is quit a beast! :)

        MfG,
        Thomas.
      • Geoff Mather
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
          Thanks Thomas, Its what I feared, and along with the weight at 21cm
          out I suspect its going to start causing problems.

          Out of interest what Panohead did you use it with or was it only hand
          held ? I guess I should also ask what did you move onto using if this
          was a year ago now :-)

          Geoff (normally a lurker :-)
          Panos at http://www.g8dhe.net/panoramas/
        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
            Hi Geoff,

            <advert>
            This might be more pano head than you need at the moment, but based on what
            I see of the design of the Fuji S7000, it should work with my Pinnacle VR
            pano head (www.pinnacle-vr.com). While at $599 it might be more than you
            want to spend now, it will continue to work with just about any future
            equipment you may upgrade to. Where are you located? If you are anywhere
            near the NYC area, I would be interested in testing the combination.
            </advert>

            Mark
            www.pinnacle-vr.com
            www.northernlight.net

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 28, 2006
              Hello Geoff,

              on Friday, July 28, 2006, 23:20:51 you wrote:

              GM> Thanks Thomas, Its what I feared, and along with the weight at 21cm
              GM> out I suspect its going to start causing problems.

              A little... it wobbles very long if you have high winds, but it works
              fine.

              GM> Out of interest what Panohead did you use it with or was it only hand
              GM> held ?

              Nope, I built my own! Costs: around 10 € for metal at the local
              hardware store. (sorry mark). I also built a motorized one with
              gears... but that's another story...

              GM> I guess I should also ask what did you move onto using if this
              GM> was a year ago now :-)

              I was very happy with this combination.... but after a year I bought a
              D70s + Peleng 8mm + Zenitar 16mm ... still "low end" but much sharper
              and only 8 cm so I am able to make Claustropanos :) With the S7000 +
              CF185 you need a LARGE fright. ;)

              MfG,
              Thomas.
            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
                On 28 Jul 2006 at 21:20, Geoff Mather wrote:

                > Thanks Thomas, Its what I feared, and along with the weight at 21cm
                > out I suspect its going to start causing problems.
                >
                > Out of interest what Panohead did you use it with or was it only hand
                > held ? I guess I should also ask what did you move onto using if this
                > was a year ago now :-)

                I use the same lens on an Olympus C-7070WZ (and 5060WZ).
                It works very well, but the entrance pupil varies a lot, depending on the zoom I use
                inside it. It also varies depending on the angle, like all(?) fisheyes. I guess you just
                have to choose the fov you want for the entrance pupil?
                I mount it with a ring around the lens mounted to a slide, which makes it easy to adjust,
                as well as changing between landscape and portrait (for non-CF pictures with longer
                zoom). This is how it looks - http://bknilssen.no/img/Raynox_mount.JPG
                It mounts into the chuck of an old rechargable drill, on top of tripod, monopod or pole.

                Most of the time I use it with about 20mm from the tip of the lens, and 35mm or 55mm zoom
                in portrait mode.

                --
                bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
                Kristiansand, Norway
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
                  Hi Mark,
                  Your site has been bookmarked for quite a while and is in the
                  running when if I go for a new head ! Not quite sure at the moment as
                  to if I should upgrade all the gear in one go or just keep adding bits
                  here and there - I suspect the latter, unless the wife wins the
                  lottery :-)

                  Do you have any details of weight and actual range of adjustment, I
                  took a quick look at the downloadable manual but didn't see any
                  Specification as such ? I'll take a look for a review shortly.

                  Where am I ? http://www.panomaps.com/ng/ about 5,000 miles East of
                  you I suspect !

                  Geoff
                  Panos at http://www.g8dhe.net/panoramas/
                  Located http://www.panomaps.com/ng/
                • Geoff Mather
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
                    Ok on the homebuilt head, I suspect my Panosaurus will get a short
                    term extension in the near term, but longer term I suspect GBP will be
                    leaving the wallet :-)

                    Geoff
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
                      Bjørn, Thanks for that and yes it sounds as if the NPP is well spread
                      out on this lens. Like your simple head looks like I'll have to clear
                      my normally electronics covered bench and get out the metal working
                      tools :-)

                      Geoff
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29, 2006
                        Hi Geoff,

                        It's always nice to be bookmarked - thanks! The system weighs 3.75 lbs (1.7
                        kilos) and folds down to 1½" x 4¼" x 12" (38.1mm x 107.95mm x 304.8mm). You
                        can shoot up to 36 columns in either 10 degree increments or 45 degree
                        increments, depending on which of the two sets of rotation holes you use on
                        the base. For pitch, you can shoot up to 19 rows in 10 degree increments.
                        Thanks for pointing out the missing information in the PDF. I'll add that
                        soon (am just heading out for a long weekend).

                        Hope that helps!

                        Mark
                        www.pinnacle-vr.com
                        www.northernlight.net